• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I can carry freakin' machete around town!

jasonwill2

Jason I love hatchets too I take mine almost every where...well left in the car or camp site at least. For self defense i use a can of axe and a lighter. Fire in some ones face scares the **** outa them. I actually prevented a car jacking this way once

That is the most bizarre thing I have ever heard, in terms of self defense.

I'm still curious as if you pretend to curse them in the name of Satan if it would work. Probably only on the really superstious, at which point they are likely to just shoot me to prevent the curse xD

I'll stick with running then smacking them on the head/swinging my tiny blade like a paintbrush if I'm cornered.

But if I get in that situation in the first place, there is obviously something very wrong with how I am interacting with the world. Prevention is the best treatment.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member

I'm still curious as if you pretend to curse them in the name of Satan if it would work. Probably only on the really superstious, at which point they are likely to just shoot me to prevent the curse xD

I'll stick with running then smacking them on the head/swinging my tiny blade like a paintbrush if I'm cornered.

But if I get in that situation in the first place, there is obviously something very wrong with how I am interacting with the world. Prevention is the best treatment.

Unless you were dramatic enough.. and yeah def strange mostly harmless and effective in the right situation

Trey of Diamonds

That reminds me, I need my own hatchet. The ones on my property belong to my landlord and I'm afraid of doing anything with them while out in the woods for fear that the old things will break.

Plus I just want my own hatchet that I can call my own and get attached to. ;) I like hatchets, probably more than machetes. As well hatchets are more versatile.

Gerber makes a nice one.

58327756-M.jpg

I'm fond of the survival hatchet.

45.jpg

But if you're looking for coolness factor.

sx171.jpg

ACROSS-THE-FIRE-LINE-The-Second-Generation-Absolute-High-Quality-Hunting-Axe-Survival-Hatchet-Survival-tool.jpg

busse-AxeMegalodon-2008514.jpg

qz56_Invader_Hatchet480.jpg

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

The last sentence is kinda what many members are suggesting. Be careful. And have respect for the weapon and it's capabilities.

I legally carry a knife that I've been trained on by a world-reknowned knife expert (who trains special forces around the world, too) for MANY hours logged. Edge weapons are no laughing matter, since all it takes is one angle and one tiny motion to sever a tendon or a major artery.

Another thing to consider, too, is being attacked by someone with a knife versus being attacked by someone with a gun is much more intimate. A gun provides distance and anonymity. A blade requires closer proximity to your target, and forces one to literally come face-to-face with the other person.

I, for one, take my training with edge weapons extremely seriously, and understand that the only time I would ever use my knife is in the most dire situation, say if someone high on bath salts isn't fazed by a palm strike in the gut or a kick to the groin....and my only self-defense was to use deadly force. I'd still sever the tendon in the forearm so the attacker can't grasp anything and I have a better chance of getting away to safety.

Oh, and I've been cut before with a weapons-ready blade accidentally. It is NOT fun or amusing at all.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm late to this discussion which I've heretofore been just watching.
Some recommendations:
- Don't carry a machete in inappropriate situation, eg, in a mall, bar hopping.
Self defense needn't frighten the more skittish elements.
- Find a better self defense tool. (MI is now making it legal for us to carry Tasers.
Previously, I could carry my .40 Glock #22, but not a large folding knife or less than lethal weapons.) It should be effective, easily deployed, & concealable.
- To use your machete for groundskeeping, it will require a lot of work to properly sharpen,
especially the Horrible Freight junk. But it will function well if you do what's needed.
I own many machetes. Some never hold an edge. Some are great. I should get rid of the junkers, eh?
- Most knives which look wicked cool are silly. Great knives are simple.
I favor plain high carbon steel knives. I use them for working, so I prefer their superior ability to get & hold an edge. While corrosion resistance is poor
compared to stainless, that's not an issue for me. Japanese knives are the best IMO, because of the extremely hard core layer, with ductile outer layers.

Last edited:

jasonwill2

I should mention to people that this topic was primarily about the legal side of blades, as opposed to this or that about me personally or what I may or may not do. At the time I still had to check out more local laws so I wasn't sure if I was going to. As of now I am going to avoid the trouble, especially since I marked-up my blade.

In other news I might buy a bowie knife soon just for the hell of it.

Would.. that even cut anything?

The last sentence is kinda what many members are suggesting. Be careful. And have respect for the weapon and it's capabilities.

I legally carry a knife that I've been trained on by a world-reknowned knife expert (who trains special forces around the world, too) for MANY hours logged. Edge weapons are no laughing matter, since all it takes is one angle and one tiny motion to sever a tendon or a major artery.

Another thing to consider, too, is being attacked by someone with a knife versus being attacked by someone with a gun is much more intimate. A gun provides distance and anonymity. A blade requires closer proximity to your target, and forces one to literally come face-to-face with the other person.

I, for one, take my training with edge weapons extremely seriously, and understand that the only time I would ever use my knife is in the most dire situation, say if someone high on bath salts isn't fazed by a palm strike in the gut or a kick to the groin....and my only self-defense was to use deadly force. I'd still sever the tendon in the forearm so the attacker can't grasp anything and I have a better chance of getting away to safety.

Oh, and I've been cut before with a weapons-ready blade accidentally. It is NOT fun or amusing at all.

I've only been cut by a blade on accident once as far as I can remember. Though recently I punched the glass frame of a picture (in a fit of untold rage I have never had as intense before) and it cut on the side of my arm, just around from my wrist >.< Suffice to say it bleed quite a lot as it swept under my skin making a small hanging flap.

For such a small cut it really bleed a lot. It must of busted a huge amount of capillaries. I was literally at one point when trying to rinse it off crying out to Satan to not let me be hurt bad, but as soon as i rinsed off the blood, it would completely flow out and recover that same area in half a second.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I've only been cut by a blade on accident once as far as I can remember. Though recently I punched the glass frame of a picture (in a fit of untold rage I have never had as intense before) and it cut on the side of my arm, just around from my wrist >.< Suffice to say it bleed quite a lot as it swept under my skin making a small hanging flap.

For such a small cut it really bleed a lot. It must of busted a huge amount of capillaries. I was literally at one point when trying to rinse it off crying out to Satan to not let me be hurt bad, but as soon as i rinsed off the blood, it would completely flow out and recover that same area in half a second.

Yep. Pressure and elevation will slow blood flow, but I'm sure you knew that. Deep cuts are terrible. Think of how we all react when we get a paper cut, which is superficial.

Now, understand the hesitation of everybody here to celebrate your carrying a huge machete around openly. Blades are intimidating to everybody.

Trey of Diamonds

Would.. that even cut anything?

Yes, yes it would.

For cool factor, get a butterfly, but learn how to use it. Nothing cooler than watching someone use a butterfly and nothing lamer than when they don't really know how. Don't worry about it being difficult, its actually pretty easy. All you need are two or three basic moves and you can make it look like you're an expert.

bm-42-2.jpg

jasonwill2

Yep. Pressure and elevation will slow blood flow, but I'm sure you knew that. Deep cuts are terrible. Think of how we all react when we get a paper cut, which is superficial.

Now, understand the hesitation of everybody here to celebrate your carrying a huge machete around openly. Blades are intimidating to everybody.

:facepalm:

I cut myself on glass, not by a blade. I've swung that machete many times already and have 'played' with knives for years and havn't ever accidently cut myself. The only time I accidently cut myself with a blade was with some small curved blade, I was smoothing out a piece of bamboo, and pulled towards me to get out a knot... hit my thumb really good, lots of blood, but was ok. That was the only time, and I was 14 then... so that was like nearly 7 years ago. That is the only time I've ever gotten myself hurt by a knife by accident (unless there is something from when I was really young that I am not accounting for).

Oh, though I do think I might of lightly scratched myself though a few months ago with either my ritual knife or my pocket knife. I don't really recall, but that really isn't major.

Yes, yes it would.

For cool factor, get a butterfly, but learn how to use it. Nothing cooler than watching someone use a butterfly and nothing lamer than when they don't really know how. Don't worry about it being difficult, its actually pretty easy. All you need are two or three basic moves and you can make it look like you're an expert.

Nah don't want a butterfly knife.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
:facepalm:

I cut myself on glass, not by a blade. I've swung that machete many times already and have 'played' with knives for years and havn't ever accidently cut myself. The only time I accidently cut myself with a blade was with some small curved blade, I was smoothing out a piece of bamboo, and pulled towards me to get out a knot... hit my thumb really good, lots of blood, but was ok. That was the only time, and I was 14 then... so that was like nearly 7 years ago. That is the only time I've ever gotten myself hurt by a knife by accident (unless there is something from when I was really young that I am not accounting for).

Oh, though I do think I might of lightly scratched myself though a few months ago with either my ritual knife or my pocket knife. I don't really recall, but that really isn't major.

Do you feel you are in no need of training to handle a weapon safely?

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I favor plain high carbon steel knives. I use them for working, so I prefer their superior ability to get & hold an edge. While corrosion resistance is poor
compared to stainless, that's not an issue for me.

I can understand this if you are comparing, say, 1095 with any given factory produced knife made from one of the 440 series (even 440c) or their Japanese counter-parts (the AUS-6 being roughly equal to 440a, and AUS-10 to 440c), but are you including high end stainless steels here to? For example, my usual carry blade (Benchmade's 581 Barrage) has a higher carbon content than 1095 (1.9 compared to 1.0). I also have a little pocket knife I not only never use, but only bought because of it's blade steel: a William Henry Knives B10 Vanguard (now going for around $400). The blade length is barely over 2 inches, but it has a ZDP-189 core hardened to 67 HRC. It's the only steel you can harden to 67 and still use, as any other steel would be way too brittle.

Japanese knives are the best IMO, because of the extremely hard core layer, with ductile outer layers.

A lot of knives have this feature, including factory knives. The factory ones "fake" it by stamping layers of 420 or some similar stainless and flexible steel over a harder core (something like vg-10 for kitchen knives, or in the pocket knife I mentioned above, zdp-189). However, unless you are talking about swords or kitchen knives, you don't really need this. Additionally, it's not just the hard core, but the differential heat treatment. For example, your average katana (the real ones, not the millions of mass produced crap) will have an edge hardened to 60 HRC, while the rest is 40.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
5_10973.jpg

My favorite blade. It's a great all-around, multipurpose knife.

And it scares the hell out of people too.

jasonwill2

Do you feel you are in no need of training to handle a weapon safely?

It depends on the type of weapon. For my machete? No, not really. It handles really well and I always have a really good sense of my swings and where it is. For a small knife? I would do so if I could afford some classes. having a sense of where the blade is, is a lot harder since I can't feel the weight of the blade.

A gun? I probably would not as to normally operate it, but I might appreciate someone showing me how to properly clean and maintain it. As for loading, unloading, safety, sights, firing, messing with the chamber or what not, it's all relatively straight-forward and I have some experience with it and am very conciousncious around even my full-auto Airsoft gun (I know that's nothing like a real gun but as far as being careful to not shoot myself in the foot or my cat by accident most of the same safety rules apply; safety on but when shooting, treat it as always loaded, and keep the finger off the trigger unless you are firing right then.)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
5_10973.jpg

My favorite blade. It's a great all-around, multipurpose knife.

And it scares the hell out of people too.

Looks a little like mine. I have a partially serrated edge, too. But mine's a folding knife with a locking mechanism.

It also has a diagonal slit open in the handle, so that even though it's closed, if you need to cut a belt quickly you can without deploying the blade in full.

jasonwill2

Large serrated blades kind of make me nervous actually, it reminds me of when I didn't know how well they cut human flesh. I needed stitches and some good common sense whacked into me.

I just can't get the sound of the flesh being ripped out of my head. It sounded like when you undo a zipper really fast.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Looks a little like mine. I have a partially serrated edge, too. But mine's a folding knife with a locking mechanism.

It also has a diagonal slit open in the handle, so that even though it's closed, if you need to cut a belt quickly you can without deploying the blade in full.

It's a folder with a liner lock. :D
The crossgaurd acts as an assist in opening in addition to the thumb stud.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
It depends on the type of weapon. For my machete? No, not really. It handles really well and I always have a really good sense of my swings and where it is. For a small knife? I would do so if I could afford some classes. having a sense of where the blade is, is a lot harder since I can't feel the weight of the blade.

A gun? I probably would not as to normally operate it, but I might appreciate someone showing me how to properly clean and maintain it. As for loading, unloading, safety, sights, firing, messing with the chamber or what not, it's all relatively straight-forward and I have some experience with it and am very conciousncious around even my full-auto Airsoft gun (I know that's nothing like a real gun but as far as being careful to not shoot myself in the foot or my cat by accident most of the same safety rules apply; safety on but when shooting, treat it as always loaded, and keep the finger off the trigger unless you are firing right then.)

I recommend getting some training in hand-to-hand combat before doing anything further than what you're currently doing with your blades. Feeling the weight of the blade is only a part of weapons handling. There's also foot position along with other movements that need to be practiced in order to ensure the utmost safety in handling. Once you are have a steady expertise in defensive combat techniques I think you would be better prepared to move on to more specific blade disarming and offensive techniques.

I don't want to see anybody get hurt, Jason.

Trey of Diamonds

I recommend getting some training in hand-to-hand combat before doing anything further than what you're currently doing with your blades. Feeling the weight of the blade is only a part of weapons handling. There's also foot position along with other movements that need to be practiced in order to ensure the utmost safety in handling. Once you are have a steady expertise in defensive combat techniques I think you would be better prepared to move on to more specific blade disarming and offensive techniques.

I don't want to see anybody get hurt, Jason.

Very good advice. What most people think knife fighting involves is actually the opposite of what you should really do. I love to play with knives but I have never been in a knife fight and never wanted to be in one. I enjoy working with the butterfly and doing some throwing. If I carry one in the woods its just a standard sheath knife, the Old Timer from Schrade.

$(KGrHqYOKigE4p9+0!WpBOSW(TSd0w~~0_35.JPG

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I should mention to people that this topic was primarily about the legal side of blades, as opposed to this or that about me personally or what I may or may not do. At the time I still had to check out more local laws so I wasn't sure if I was going to. As of now I am going to avoid the trouble, especially since I marked-up my blade.

In other news I might buy a bowie knife soon just for the hell of it.
If what I said sounded personal, I do apologize. I was just telling you my perspective on it from being trained as a cop. If I would see someone carrying around a weapon, especially large blades (as they do stick out), I would right away stop them. And seeing that you have long somewhat shaggy hair (and there is nothing wrong with that. I used to as well), it probably would make me a little more worried (now it depends on how you're dressed as well, but there is a stereotype attached to people who have long hair).

As for a bowie knife, it is a little excessive for a knife, but I personally have one. I carry it around only when I'm hunting. It's a nice knife, and I have had fun messing with it.

I know you also mentioned guns (as in you wouldn't need training). However, I would suggest, if you ever got a pistol or revolver, to get training. Even a short course (which I believe you would need if you wanted to get a concealed weapons permit; at least you do here) can help greatly.

I also agree with Mystic, some hand to hand combat training is ideal. Before I ever went to weapons, I had started with basic hand to hand combat because it gives you a nice foundation. And training with a weapon is really a must if you want to be safe. I have seen many individuals hurt themselves (and sometimes severely) because they thought they could just wing it.