• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am thinking

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Most people who imagine they are happy resist change. Very few contented people go about expecting change. I was taught by some religious folks that I should expect change and I still do even though I have forsaken them. I forsook them because it seemed to me that I was to expect change to come from Heaven. I believe change is to come from Earth. To teach it comes from Heaven is to discourage it's progress on Earth I think.

Daemon Sophic

This is true on many different levels.

It reminds me of an expression.
"Two hands at work can achieve more than a thousand clasped in prayers."

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Most people who imagine they are happy resist change. Very few contented people go about expecting change. I was taught by some religious folks that I should expect change and I still do even though I have forsaken them. I forsook them because it seemed to me that I was to expect change to come from Heaven. I believe change is to come from Earth. To teach it comes from Heaven is to discourage it's progress on Earth I think.

I am Happy and I look forward to change, I always thought thats the only way people can be happy because change comes every day.

I think religious people that are happy embrace change as well because they believe it comes from God.

I have yet to find someone that was happy and resists change. It would be hard to do because as I said change happens everyday.

Heaven as I have been taught is a release from evil, only good to happen, this pretty much eliminates change as change is balance.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have yet to find someone that was happy and resists change.
When a person is happy with his or her situation why would he or she welcome change? If it should change there is no guarantee the person would still be happy.

Conservatism is about resisting change. Do you think all conservatives are unhappy? Becuase if they were happy they would NOT be conservatives. Huh?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I did not say "People who ARE happy". Didn't I say "People who imagine they are"?

Isn't there a difference? There sure is!

I can't see it. What is the difference?
If one imagines they are happy on what basis can they be described as unhappy?

Sees

Dragonslayer
Some people think they have this life just so the Divine can serve them...as if other type of beings/minds/entities/spirits wouldn't have more interesting and important things to do :D

Unnecessary fear, sorrow, selfishness, and laziness make the world and life suck more than necessary.

Besides daily hard work and sharing as much love and happiness as possible...you could throw in some hopes, dreams, prayers, rituals, etc. the focusing, growth, and healing doesn't need to be mystical or otherworldly to be real.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I can't see it. What is the difference?
If one imagines they are happy on what basis can they be described as unhappy?

They are happy by self hypnosis. Their happiness isn't real. Because it is not real anything can disturb it. It is building houses on the sand.

You are a Bible reader? No?

What about those ones prophesied who say "Lord, Lord!!!" and he says "I never knew you". Do you say those ones are happy, even now? That is a cruel lord who would rip away a person's happiness. Don't you think?

BSM1

What? Me worry?

I am happy in spite of change. True happiness comes from within.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am happy in spite of change. True happiness comes from within.

That's right. So it is then possible for a person to fool herself "inside" to believe she is happy but from the perspective of truth and life, she is not really happy. Happiness is a real thing. I shall say the real thing of happiness is not something that can be defined correctly by humans.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
They are happy by self hypnosis. Their happiness isn't real. Because it is not real anything can disturb it. It is building houses on the sand.

You are a Bible reader? No?

What about those ones prophesied who say "Lord, Lord!!!" and he says "I never knew you". Do you say those ones are happy, even now? That is a cruel lord who would rip away a person's happiness. Don't you think?

Everything that one believes in is real.
Neither of us has privileged access to reality. If someone says they're happy who are we to contradict them?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think about most words before I write them. I have not said people who imagine they are happy deny change. I did not say they do not hope for change. I did not say they do not prepare for change. I said they resist it.

I mean this:
to refrain or abstain from, especially with difficulty or reluctance:

The people I speak of will not change a thing themselves. I am talking about change that affects other people. World wide change. I am not talking about personal change. I apologize for not making that clear.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Everything that one believes in is real.
Neither of us has privileged access to reality. If someone says they're happy who are we to contradict them?

We are nobody. I'm talking generalities so it's proper I think to condradict the actuality. But not the person. I agree!

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'll go along with change as long as it's for the better. I don't like change for its own sake, variety yes, change no. Maybe it's from my ocpd and bipolar, and possible autism. Change and surprises freak me out.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'll go along with change as long as it's for the better. I don't like change for its own sake, variety yes, change no. Maybe it's from my ocpd and bipolar, and possible autism. Change and surprises freak me out.

Interesting. Thank you. You have brought out two good points I think.

It is not a common human trait to be able to make a judgement of whether a change will be good or bad. Some changes are bad for awhile but turn out good and the reverse is true also.

The other point you made is change for change sake is not desirable for you. I do not care about it either. Fashion is just one example of that. I resist changes in fashion for myself. I like to look at it though. :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
It is not a common human trait to be able to make a judgement of whether a change will be good or bad. Some changes are bad for awhile but turn out good and the reverse is true also.

That's very true. There have been times I've had no choice but to go with a change, albeit kicking and screaming, but it sometimes did turn out for the better, and I found I was wrong. And then there were the times I should have listened to my better judgement and left things alone.

underthesun

Terrible with Titles
That's right. So it is then possible for a person to fool herself "inside" to believe she is happy but from the perspective of truth and life, she is not really happy. Happiness is a real thing. I shall say the real thing of happiness is not something that can be defined correctly by humans.

Why must this woman be 'fooling herself' about being happy? Can she not actually be happy? I'm curious as to what you mean about this 'perspective of truth and life'... what are your criterion? And why should these criterion, not identified by her, be the judge of whether or not she is happy?

4consideration

Premium Member
When a person is happy with his or her situation why would he or she welcome change? If it should change there is no guarantee the person would still be happy.

I agree with this. Typically I see happiness different than joyfulness. Being happy is usually in terms with a situation, or set of circumstances --like having obtained a desired result.

Conservatism is about resisting change. Do you think all conservatives are unhappy? Becuase if they were happy they would NOT be conservatives. Huh?
I disagree that conservatism is about resisting change. People who hold conservative views may resist change, but the term conservative more specifically applies to the protection of something one sees as valuable, IMO. What a person is conservative about may vary greatly from person to person -- or there may be many in a group that apply a conservative perspective to the same situation, in the same way.

IMO, people that are conservative may not be inhibited by that conservatism regarding change, if they apply it in a situation in which they can support change that also recognizes and includes protection for that which they see as valuable.