• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'I Am Gabriel': Ancient Stone on Display in Israel

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Any comments?
Quite interesting and isn't Gabriel the angel that spoke through Mohammed as Mohammed recited the Quran. It might be that Gabriel communicated with man to guide the Jews and to guide the Arabs.

roger1440

I do stuff
Quite interesting and isn't Gabriel the angel that spoke through Mohammed as Mohammed recited the Quran. It might be that Gabriel communicated with man to guide the Jews and to guide the Arabs.
I don't know anything about the Quran. I never read it.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I don't know anything about the Quran. I never read it.
I meant that question metaphorically as it was Gabriel that spoke through Mohammed. This adds to the argument that Judaism, Christianity and Islam all come from One source.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
How many Gabriel stories are there?

What is your point with that question?

I agree with Jayhawker Soule who said: Awesome archaeological find; underwhelming theological import.

Anything ancient is a great archaeological find.

However, it is just another Gabriel story, such as we find in the Bible.

This does NOT make it true.

EDIT - We find Gabriel in Dan 8 and 9. Luke 1:19 and 26. And of course in non-canonical writings.

This was written after Jesus' death when we know they were making his story into a god-man.

"In a paper given at a 2009 conference at Rice University on the Gabriel Stone, now published in the conference volume as, “The Apocalyptic Dimensions of the Gabriel Revelation in Their Historical Context,” Knohl says he was mistaken in his original reading.[1] Knohl still maintains that the text was “composed shortly after 4 B.C.E.” by “followers of the messianic leader Simon, who was killed in Transjordan in 4 B.C.E.,” which is where the stone was probably found. He continues to see it as an example of what he calls “catastrophic messianism” where a slain Messiah gives a new/holy covenant to Israel. What he now doubts is that the text speaks of “making the dead live after three days.”

http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/...ts/inscriptions/the-gabriel-stone-on-display/

Last edited: