• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I almost choked to death on pizza!

Do you believe in intelligent design?

• Yes.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • No.

Votes: 23 71.9%
  • Maybe/Unsure.

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
Today, I nearly died by choking to death on a piece of stringy cheese pizza that became caught in my throat. I'd accidentally swallowed this food before it was chewed up. As soon as this piece of cheesy pizza became lodged in my throat, I attempted to clear my throat by swallowing as much as I could in order to down the food from my throat into my stomach. When this maneuver failed to dislodge the food caught in my throat, my last chance of survival was to dislodge the chocking hazard with a strong gag reaction. My reflex of gaging in order to clear my throat saved me from chocking to death on a piece of stringy cheesed pizza . I was shaken up because I could not breath during this ordeal. I wish people had a separate airway passage to their lungs than just the one that is also used to pass food from their mouths to their stomach. With just the throat as the only airway passage for respiration from the nose, mouth to the lungs, people are prone to death by getting their throat obstructed by food. In the United States, the odds of one dying from choking on food is around 1 in 2,535. Deaths by choking U.S. number 1945-2019 | Statista.

Because people's bodies are prone to being choked to death by food, I seriously doubt the human body is intelligently designed.

The Heimlich maneuver can be used to to save somebody from choking to death on food,

The shared opening of the esophagus and the trachea isn't a very good design. Chewing your food helps, but even water can choke you to death if it goes down the wrong pipe.

Suave

Simulated character
Relevance??

Certainly I'm happy he didn't choke. A friend of mine had a heimlich maneuver ministered because of swallowing a piece of meat before finishing chewing.

Did you have a point?

You're absolutely right about me nearly choking to death on pizza, because I didn't sufficiently chew up my food before swallowing it into my throat. Since until today, I had never experienced any problems with chewing, eating, and choking on food, I didn't even think about how well my food was chewed before going into my throat. Also, I have a bit of a tooth ache, which only occurs to me as I am eating. Tooth decay might have been a contributing cause of my failed attempt to swallow down insufficiently chewed food However, I would not have suffered nearly choking to death on pizza if I were to have been more intelligently designed with longer lasting teeth and dual passage ways that'd be one for air getting from my nose and mouth to my lungs along with a separate one that'd be for food traveling from my mouth to my stomach. I'd like people's bodies to be better designed with longer lasting teeth or regenerative teeth. Also, I'd like dual throat passage ways that'd enable my lungs to get air without the hazard of me being suffocated by food blockage in the passageway. I'm now learning how to perform an Emergency Surgical Cricothyrotomy just in case I ever come across one of my family members or beloved one choking to death on food or a foreign object in their throat that is unable to be dislodged by my beloved family member themselves or by the Heimlich maneuver.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Today, I nearly died by choking to death on a piece of stringy cheese pizza that became caught in my throat. I'd accidentally swallowed this food before it was chewed up. As soon as this piece of cheesy pizza became lodged in my throat, I attempted to clear my throat by swallowing as much as I could in order to down the food from my throat into my stomach. When this maneuver failed to dislodge the food caught in my throat, my last chance of survival was to dislodge the chocking hazard with a strong gag reaction. My reflex of gaging in order to clear my throat saved me from chocking to death on a piece of stringy cheesed pizza . I was shaken up because I could not breath during this ordeal. I wish people had a separate airway passage to their lungs than just the one that is also used to pass food from their mouths to their stomach. With just the throat as the only airway passage for respiration from the nose, mouth to the lungs, people are prone to death by getting their throat obstructed by food. In the United States, the odds of one dying from choking on food is around 1 in 2,535. Deaths by choking U.S. number 1945-2019 | Statista.

Because people's bodies are prone to being choked to death by food, I seriously doubt the human body is intelligently designed.

The Heimlich maneuver can be used to to save somebody from choking to death on food,

Eeesh...glad you're okay.

My dog once ate leather laces out of a football, and they got stuck halfway down his throat. Had to reach my hand in and wear some panicked bites before I was able to grab the end, and slowly draw it back up and out of his throat.
At which point he wagged his tail and licked me to death.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

I've saved 2 people from suffocating. One heimlich and the other one was getting strangled by a seat belt.

And yes I believe in intelligent design. I am a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints but in 2nd place I am a Raelian.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Eeesh...glad you're okay.

My dog once ate leather laces out of a football, and they got stuck halfway down his throat. Had to reach my hand in and wear some panicked bites before I was able to grab the end, and slowly draw it back up and out of his throat.
At which point he wagged his tail and licked me to death.

One of our cats about choked to death on a piece of cat food as a kitten. My husband tried to dislodge it; but it didn't work. She lost consciousness. He put his mouth over her mouth and nose and exhaled, and it came back out. Kitten saved. However, I don't think the time without oxygen did her much good; she's always been a bit 'off', and we wondered if maybe there was some minor brain damage.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
One of our cats about choked to death on a piece of cat food as a kitten. My husband tried to dislodge it; but it didn't work. She lost consciousness. He put his mouth over her mouth and nose and exhaled, and it came back out. Kitten saved. However, I don't think the time without oxygen did her much good; she's always been a bit 'off', and we wondered if maybe there was some minor brain damage.

Yes...damage happens almost immediately, so it's possible, for sure.

Suave

Simulated character

I'm now learning how I would perform the Heimlich maneuver on a dog, just in case I were to ever need saving my pet dog from choking to death.

firedragon

Veteran Member

Interesting. Thus what is your alternative? You presume we haven't evolved to not be choked by death or we have evolved to die being "choked to death by food"?

Suave

Simulated character
Interesting. Thus what is your alternative? You presume we haven't evolved to not be choked by death or we have evolved to die being "choked to death by food"?

I'd consider us mammalian species as having

Please let us consider decay-prone-teeth along with the one-holed throat passage way being used as part of the respiratory system and digestion system to be so flawed, we should seriously doubt any designer (unless the designer were an awfully bad designer) would have come up with that set-up of people choking to death on food. . Of course, tooth decay along with a one-holed throat passage way being used as part of the respiratory system in common with being used as part of the digestion system are not usually lethal flaws before or during a human being's reproductive life, so most persons are able to generate offspring perpetuating their genes well before this bodily flaw would kill them off.

I conceptualize evolution as simply significant enough gene pool changes occurring within a species changing over the course of many generations resulting in organisms having genetic traits different enough from their distant ancestors; so that there'd be no possible sexual reproduction occurring between somebody who were to have distant ancestral genetic traits with anybody living in the current population

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Glad you are ok.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Relevance??

Certainly I'm happy he didn't choke. A friend of mine had a heimlich maneuver ministered because of swallowing a piece of meat before finishing chewing.

Did you have a point? Other than your fellow staff members made a huge mistake?

I think the point was: perfect design involves being foolproof.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I am happy you didn't choke... and I do hope you get good dental care! :)

Yes... we are all going to die and our bodies will deteriorate... but I don't believe it is God's faulty construction but our faulty way of life and living. IMO.

Of course you do. And it is not because such a belief is extremely convenient to your world view. Right? :rolleyes:

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Yes... we are all going to die and our bodies will deteriorate... but I don't believe it is God's faulty construction but our faulty way of life and living. IMO.

How is it our "way of life's" fault that we have a single tube to breath and eat which makes it possible to choke to death on food?
How is it our "way of life's" fault that we have a mouth to small to house all our teeth which means that a lot of us must have our "wisdom teeth" pulled to avoid hellish pains?
How is it our "way of life's" fault that our spine isn't really that suitable for bipedalism which causes lower back pains in 70% of humans at some point in their life?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Of course you do. And it is not because such a belief is extremely convenient to your world view. Right? :rolleyes:
Not really. My world view is my world view whether it is convenient or not convenient. It might not be convenient for me to forgive... but I do it anyways because it is my world view.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
  1. How is it our "way of life's" fault that we have a single tube to breath and eat which makes it possible to choke to death on food?
    [*]How is it our "way of life's" fault that we have a mouth to small to house all our teeth which means that a lot of us must have our "wisdom teeth" pulled to avoid hellish pains?
    [*]How is it our "way of life's" fault that our spine isn't really that suitable for bipedalism which causes lower back pains in 70% of humans at some point in their life?

In my world view, I see it this way/
1) If you chew your food first, you wouldn't have to choke. Having two tube may create an engineering problem if you are breathing through your mouth as well as your nose.
2) Of course the context was in tooth decay not in the size of our mouths... but to answer your question, in my Christian world view, the physical problems we have ultimately comes from disobedience of man that opened up a curse on the ground of this earth, What is your world view for the problems that we have and why?
3) Besides #2, lack of exercise, too much sitting down, lack of good eating habits (for strength of bones), misuse of body throughout the lifetime and many other possibilities.