• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I almost choked to death on pizza!

Do you believe in intelligent design?

• Yes.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • No.

Votes: 23 71.9%
  • Maybe/Unsure.

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

Suave

Simulated character
Today, I nearly died by choking to death on a piece of stringy cheese pizza that became caught in my throat. I'd accidentally swallowed this food before it was chewed up. As soon as this piece of cheesy pizza became lodged in my throat, I attempted to clear my throat by swallowing as much as I could in order to down the food from my throat into my stomach. When this maneuver failed to dislodge the food caught in my throat, my last chance of survival was to dislodge the chocking hazard with a strong gag reaction. My reflex of gaging in order to clear my throat saved me from chocking to death on a piece of stringy cheesed pizza . I was shaken up because I could not breath during this ordeal. I wish people had a separate airway passage to their lungs than just the one that is also used to pass food from their mouths to their stomach. With just the throat as the only airway passage for respiration from the nose, mouth to the lungs, people are prone to death by getting their throat obstructed by food. In the United States, the odds of one dying from choking on food is around 1 in 2,535. Deaths by choking U.S. number 1945-2019 | Statista.

Because people's bodies are prone to being choked to death by food, I seriously doubt the human body is intelligently designed.

The Heimlich maneuver can be used to to save somebody from choking to death on food,

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know if what I believe qualifies as intelligent design or not, but I'm glad you're okay, @Suave .

Suave

Simulated character
Yes, I believe in intelligent design. I also believe that man, sometimes, can be so ignorant as to violate simple truths that intelligence has designed to prevent hurt.
How Many Times Should You Chew Your Food?

I have a bit of a tooth ache, but only occurring to me after extensively chewing, this could have been a contributing factor of me failing to properly chew my slice of pizza in order to prevent me from getting this food caught in my throat . Tooth decay is another bodily flaw proving to me my body might not be intelligently designed. If there were an intelligent designer, I wish he would have designed me with longer lasting teeth as well as with a passage way getting food from my moth to my stomach in addition to a separate passage way getting air from my nose, mouth to my lungs. Please let us agree my aforementioned design plans for human bodies would be an improvement over God's design of human bodies.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Today, I nearly died by choking to death on a piece of stringy cheese pizza that became caught in my throat. I'd accidentally swallowed this food before it was chewed up. As soon as this piece of cheesy pizza became lodged in my throat, I attempted to clear my throat by swallowing as much as I could in order to down the food from my throat into my stomach. When this maneuver failed to dislodge the food caught in my throat, my last chance of survival was to dislodge the chocking hazard with a strong gag reaction. My reflex of gaging in order to clear my throat saved me from chocking to death on a piece of stringy cheesed pizza . I was shaken up because I could not breath during this ordeal. I wish people had a separate airway passage to their lungs than just the one that is also used to pass food from their mouths to their stomach. With just the throat as the only airway passage for respiration from the nose, mouth to the lungs, people are prone to death by getting their throat obstructed by food. In the United States, the odds of one dying from choking on food is around 1 in 2,535. Deaths by choking U.S. number 1945-2019 | Statista.

Because people's bodies are prone to being choked to death by food, I seriously doubt the human body is intelligently designed.

The Heimlich maneuver can be used to to save somebody from choking to death on food,

Once while driving along, I got a big Peanut M&M
stuck in me airway. Criminy...that was scary.
Oh, yes...I survived.

Lain

I put maybe, I am still studying the subject of Genesis (highly recommend beginning with the Fathers, St. Basil's Hexameron and St. Gregory's On the Making of Man are the two works, in order, I am studying currently) to see what the truth of the matter is. One thing I do know is this: our bodies became worse and degraded in the Fall, so problems with them are not unexpected to me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have a bit of a tooth ache, but only occurring to me after extensively chewing, this could have been a contributing factor of me failing to properly chew my slice of pizza in order to prevent me from getting this food caught in my throat . Tooth decay is another bodily flaw proving to me my body might not be intelligently designed. If there were an intelligent designer, I wish he would have designed me with longer lasting teeth as well as with a passage way getting food from my moth to my stomach in addition to a separate passage way getting air from my nose, mouth to my lungs. Please let us agree my aforementioned design plans for human bodies would be an improvement over God's design of human bodies.
Your cheese ordeal reminded me of this commercial....
Wouldn't want that kind of tug-of-war action going on
between a pizza slice & your airway.

It also reminded me of an old joke.
Guy walks into bar.
Sign says take a swig from spittoon on the floor.
You get $100.
Guy grabs spittoon, & hoists it up.
Drinks.
Crowd all watches.
Keeps on drinking.
Crowd gasps. Some women faint.
He finishes it.
Barkeep: "Ya dinna have to drink the whole thing for the Benjamin."
Guy: "Couldn't stop. Twas all one piece."

Suave

Simulated character
Once while driving along, I got a big Peanut M&M
stuck in me airway. Criminy...that was scary.
Oh, yes...I survived.

As much as I like peanut butter M&Ms, I'm not going to eat them anymore if they could pose a choking hazard threat to me. From now on, I'm only go eat pureed foods.

Suave

Simulated character
I put maybe, I am still studying the subject of Genesis (highly recommend beginning with the Fathers, St. Basil's Hexameron and St. Gregory's On the Making of Man are the two works, in order, I am studying currently) to see what the truth of the matter is. One thing I do know is this: our bodies became worse and degraded in the Fall, so problems with them are not unexpected to me.

I used to have a near perfect physique. I had 20/20 vison, near flawless teeth including wisdom teeth. Now I'm far sighted and I will likely have some teeth pulled. Jesus Christ never had to face aging like me. I never realized until now how fatally flawed I am.

Jeremiah Ames

Your cheese ordeal reminded me of this commercial....
Wouldn't want that kind of tug-of-war action going on
between a pizza slice & your airway.

It also reminded me of an old joke.
Guy walks into bar.
Sign says take a swig from spittoon on the floor.
You get $100.
Guy grabs spittoon, & hoists it up.
Drinks.
Crowd all watches.
Keeps on drinking.
Crowd gasps. Some women faint.
He finishes it.
Barkeep: "Ya dinna have to drink the whole thing for the Benjamin."
Guy: "Couldn't stop. Twas all one piece."
Unfortunately, I cannot unsee that

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Yes, I believe in intelligent design. I also believe that man, sometimes, can be so ignorant as to violate simple truths that intelligence has designed to prevent hurt.
How Many Times Should You Chew Your Food?
Sheesh!

My partner almost DIED because, when he was completely paralyzed in hospital with Guillaine-Barre Syndrome, some of the pills he was given (all at once by a nurse who should have known better) went the wrong way. How many times should have chewed those, Ken? What are the "simple truths" about nursing that have been known since the Bible laid them all out for all to see?

Corollary question -- how often do you think about what you write before you decide to leave it posted?

Last edited:

Suave

Simulated character
Sheesh!

My partner almost DIED because, when he was completely paralyzed in hospital with Guillaine-Barre Syndrome, some of the pills he was given all at once by a nurse who should have known better) went the wrong way. How many times should have chewed those, Ken? What are the "simple truths" about nursing that have been known since the Bible laid them all out for all to see?

Corollary question -- how often do you think about what you write before you decide to leave it posted?

Since until today, I had never experienced any problems with chewing, eating, and choking on food, I didn't even think about how well my food was chewed before going into my throat. I was able to get the food dislodged from my throat with a strong gag reflex, but if that would have failed to clear my throat, I could have self administered abdominal thrusts. I want everybody to know what to do if he/she is alone and choking towards death on food.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Since until today, I had never experienced any problems with chewing, eating, and choking on food, I didn't even think about how well my food was chewed before going into my throat. I was able to get the food dislodged from my throat with a strong gag reflex, but if that would have failed to clear my throat, I could have self administered abdominal thrusts. I want everybody to know what to do if he/she is alone and choking towards death on food.

If that was answering my post (as it seems to be), it doesn't quite work, does it? After all, once partner got pills stuck in the wrong place, we must then remember that he is paralyzed from the neck down! Getting up, using legs and arms, leaning over a chair, using your abdominal muscles, etc., is actually quite difficult in that state. At the time, he needed nursing help just to shift his position in bed to prevent bedsores.

Suave

Simulated character
If that was answering my post (as it seems to be), it doesn't quite work, does it? After all, once partner got pills stuck in the wrong place, we must then remember that he is paralyzed from the neck down! Getting up, using legs and arms, leaning over a chair, using your abdominal muscles, etc., is actually quite difficult in that state. At the time, he needed nursing help just to shift his position in bed to prevent bedsores.

I'm sorry to read about the near tragic death of a beloved companion, I'm outraged there weren't nursing staff around to properly administer patient's medication or get the patient's pills promptly dislodged from the choking victims throat.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe it is still being intelligently designed. Maybe its still in the design phase. Designs build upon previous designs.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Sheesh!

My partner almost DIED because, when he was completely paralyzed in hospital with Guillaine-Barre Syndrome, some of the pills he was given (all at once by a nurse who should have known better) went the wrong way. How many times should have chewed those, Ken? What are the "simple truths" about nursing that have been known since the Bible laid them all out for all to see?

Relevance??

Certainly I'm happy he didn't choke. A friend of mine had a heimlich maneuver ministered because of swallowing a piece of meat before finishing chewing.

Did you have a point? Other than your fellow staff members made a huge mistake?

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I am happy you didn't choke... and I do hope you get good dental care! :)

Yes... we are all going to die and our bodies will deteriorate... but I don't believe it is God's faulty construction but our faulty way of life and living. IMO.