• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I’m done... I can’t in good conscience continue non-veg

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
When I told my mum I was going veggie I think she expected me to die of malnutrition within a fortnight. :D

How old were you?

Dad tried to make me read nutrition books... I was 12. I didn't care about nutrition. But I learned to use the stove and oven efficiently, and managed to teach myself to bake. I went vegan for about 7 years in the mix of it all, and baked a lot of wacky cakes. I usually preferred the vanilla variety, which I'd dye green and tell my sisters they were moldy so they wouldn't eat them.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I don’t eat very much meat to begin with ... it’s mostly chicken, eggs and occasionally seafood. I ditched beef a long time ago, but this seals the deal.

Be warned the pictures might be disturbing.

Thomas Cayne's answer to Do most animals know they are about to be slaughtered? - Quora

My problem is going to be my family (we are Italian-American, they aren’t Hindu), though I don’t see them often. I don’t have many friends but the ones I do are non-veg. It’s a challenge to avoid meat without offending them, especially if they’re hosting/paying for dinner.

If anyone has ideas how to get around this I’m all ears. I’m considering posting this on my Facebook page as a sort of “You’ve been warned, don’t serve me meat”. :D I can’t in good conscience continue to be non-veg.

Adding: I might add it’s hypocritical of me to have rescued animals, support the ASPCA, not to mention praying to Gods who are the protectors of animals, and chow down on bacon, ribs, lamb chops.

I did just post it on my Facebook page... waiting for the **** storm from my family. :D

Welcome to the club! :):glomp::kissingheart:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
That is of course my reasoning. Tha problem is, and this may get a little psychological, I’m the youngest of the family with a large age gap between us, the only one to go to college, and considered to be spoiled. I feel resentment at times and get a feeling of “he thinks he’s better than us”. I admit I’m kind of sensitive to vibes and may see things that aren’t there. But having been occasionally called a spoiled brat is kind of a tip off. :D
Well speaking as a spoilt brat myself, who cares? Lol
Will it add to your image as the spoilt brat? Probably. But I say, just embrace it mate

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Why you try to be sneaky? I also only say something if it happens to come up
Not sneaky, in a devious way, just quiet. At school, I knew some folks 15 years or more before they even knew I was a vegetarian. What I meant was not to wear it on your shirt as an advertisement.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
How old were you?

Dad tried to make me read nutrition books... I was 12. I didn't care about nutrition. But I learned to use the stove and oven efficiently, and managed to teach myself to bake. I went vegan for about 7 years in the mix of it all, and baked a lot of wacky cakes. I usually preferred the vanilla variety, which I'd dye green and tell my sisters they were moldy so they wouldn't eat them.
I was 24.
Telling someone about the dairy and egg industry is like a message to my younger self. I was a vegetarian for decades in ignorance of the reality of those industries.
Wacky cakes....hmmmm...I've heard about things like that....

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I don’t eat very much meat to begin with ... it’s mostly chicken, eggs and occasionally seafood. I ditched beef a long time ago, but this seals the deal.

Be warned the pictures might be disturbing.

Thomas Cayne's answer to Do most animals know they are about to be slaughtered? - Quora

My problem is going to be my family (we are Italian-American, they aren’t Hindu), though I don’t see them often. I don’t have many friends but the ones I do are non-veg. It’s a challenge to avoid meat without offending them, especially if they’re hosting/paying for dinner.

If anyone has ideas how to get around this I’m all ears. I’m considering posting this on my Facebook page as a sort of “You’ve been warned, don’t serve me meat”. :D I can’t in good conscience continue to be non-veg.

Adding: I might add it’s hypocritical of me to have rescued animals, support the ASPCA, not to mention praying to Gods who are the protectors of animals, and chow down on bacon, ribs, lamb chops.

I did just post it on my Facebook page... waiting for the **** storm from my family. :D
Families need to learn how to respect the beliefs of their own family members. I won't get into a huge argument with my creationist brother and his family. He appears to know that the science is all on my side and just chooses to believe because his sect tells him that he has to. He and his family are also almost vegetarian. Not quite. Occasionally they will have some fish or even poultry. But there are some very good meals that are vegetarian.

I see that you are Italian-American. Have you ever had eggplant parmesan. Vegetarian, not vegan. The first time I made a batch from scratch I had to force myself to quit eating. It was that good. Unfortunately my housemate will not even try it. Strange food prejudice. At any rate if you are veggie but not vegan you might want to try making a batch and inviting your family over for a meal. Who knows? You might even convert a few.

MatthewA

Jain, to me being honest is the first thing. You know I personally do not know anyone that just has ever come outright and claimed that all they do is eat vegan food. It would most certainly be something to be mentioning upfront to someone to let them know that whatever it is makes you sick, and you do not like those types of food.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I've always been the oddball in my family... can you go with it? Play along? When the teasing begins, join in? When they pester, can you just give a silly reason, like "because I'm weird"?

I sort of did that at least once. I’ve given the evil eye too. At one of these get-togethers a friend of ours (we’ll call her Joanne) asked me what my tattoo was. It’s Ancient Greek ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ molon lavé, “come take them”. I was telling Joanne the story of the 300 Spartans and that’s what the Spartan king Leonidas said to the Persian king about the Greeks surrendering their weapons.

Before I could actually answer, my sister waved her hand and said dismissively and laughing “don’t ask”. I gave her a sidelong dirty look and told the story. My other sister rolled her eyes and said “mmhmm, yeah ok”. They got punked because Joanne said “that’s so interesting”. I said “yeah, I’m a geek” and gave my sisters the stink eye. My husband was not amused.

If you're worried about offending others where they are the ones serving food, can you bring along your own bit of food, and just explain you have a dietary restriction without going into detail?

That might work. People know about my conditions so it’s plausible something went sideways. :D

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Not sneaky, in a devious way, just quiet. At school, I knew some folks 15 years or more before they even knew I was a vegetarian. What I meant was not to wear it on your shirt as an advertisement.
Aha, I would not call that "sneaky", as it gives a wrong impression; e.g. not feeling confident with your choice. I might call it "don't be an exhibitionist"

stvdv

Before I could actually answer, my sister waved her hand and said dismissively and laughing “don’t ask”. I gave her a sidelong dirty look and told the story.
What I do when people act like this, I just ask them "Why are you so dismissive/belittling?". Works miracles, because people who "are dismissive" or belittle others have little Self Confidence, and when it gets personal they really feel cornered, because these people have huge problems expressing their own emotions.

Anyway, I wish you the best with it, as such people easily create tension; I like challenges, but I rather minimize these

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I was 24.
Telling someone about the dairy and egg industry is like a message to my younger self. I was a vegetarian for decades in ignorance of the reality of those industries.
Wacky cakes....hmmmm...I've heard about things like that....

They are vegan friendly! They 'work' by a chemical reaction between baking soda and an acid, and they are delicious.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Aha, I would not call that "sneaky", as it gives a wrong impression; e.g. not feeling confident with your choice. I might call it "don't be an exhibitionist"
Two meanings to 'sneaky' is all. No big deal. I learned something today, (watch for double meanings on words) so thanks for that.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
A ton of folks these days have the good sense to ask about dietary restrictions. Gluten, nuts, religious reasons, lactose intolerance ... wise parents who have birthday parties will put it right in the invitation cards.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Jain, to me being honest is the first thing. You know I personally do not know anyone that just has ever come outright and claimed that all they do is eat vegan food. It would most certainly be something to be mentioning upfront to someone to let them know that whatever it is makes you sick, and you do not like those types of food.

It’s a challenge in my case having a large Italian-American family raised on meatballs and bracciole. And I mean meatballs that don’t often make it into the gravy. I have to say I do miss them, not having eaten beef in a very long time. We don’t use bread crumbs or white bread. We take stale Italian bread, the kind so stale you could crack a crocodile’s skull with it, soak it in water to rehydrate it, peel the crust off (just toss it), squeeze out the water, mix the bread with the meat, an egg, parsley, grated Parmesan cheese. They should be about the size of a small to medium egg. And here’s the important thing... fry them until brown and crispy, preferably in olive oil. Ah marrone! :) This is a staple of the Italian-American table. Even passing up the meatballs all the already-cooked meats are put into the gravy to simmer.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
What I do when people act like this, I just ask them "Why are you so dismissive/belittling?". Works miracles, because people who "are dismissive" or belittle others have little Self Confidence, and when it gets personal they really feel cornered, because these people have huge problems expressing their own emotions.

Anyway, I wish you the best with it, as such people easily create tension; I like challenges, but I rather minimize these

Thanks. Oh I’ve used that line before. It backfires because they get offended. I think I’m just going to bite the bullet, say no thanks ... and as I said, fortunately it’s usually a buffet ... take something else, and when asked why no meatballs or bracciole (I never liked bracciole, it’s dry) just say “this is fine, I’m good”.

MatthewA

That seems like a very difficult position to be in Jain, sister. Shoot, I do not eat meat myself very often (mostly from fast food if gotten). My mother just yesterday going by and visiting was making Chicken Alfredo. Which looked really good but has previously ate and did not take any with me. It is funny how stale the bread is. That is pretty hard to crack a crocodiles skull, lol. Sounds like your family knows how to cook as well. :p

I really enjoy eggs, it is part of my morning breakfast; with a side of French toast, and a potato. (My mother sent her blood to that one website to figure our what she is blood-wise) She is a mix of European, and Irish.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
And fortunately I don’t have much in the refrigerator or freezer, just some sausage gravy and cold cuts for my husband. Further fortunately, he doesn’t eat much meat and respects my ways.

stvdv

Two meanings to 'sneaky' is all. No big deal. I learned something today, (watch for double meanings on words) so thanks for that.
Thank you, because I had no clue about a second meaning, so I googled the positive meaning of it. I guess something similar to below is what you meant:
Is Sneaky positive or negative?
Sometimes "sneaky" can be positive. A ninja is sneaky (stealthy); Spiderman can be sneaky; if you are sneaky in a library, it might mean you are being quiet and not attracting attention. You can also sometimes use "sneaky" to mean "cute and fun". You might call a good friend a "sneaky little devil"

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
That seems like a very difficult position to be in Jain, brother. Shoot, I do not eat meat myself very often (mostly from fast food if gotten). My mother just yesterday going by and visiting was making Chicken Alfredo. Which looked really good but has previously ate and did not take any with me. It is funny how stale the bread is. That is pretty hard to crack a crocodiles skull, lol. Sounds like your family knows how to cook as well. :p

I really enjoy eggs, it is part of my morning breakfast; with a side of French toast, and a potato. (My mother sent her blood to that one website to figure our what she is blood-wise) She is a mix of European, and Irish.

We’re all pretty good cooks. The younger sister’s meatballs and turkey stuffing sucks though... and we tell her. It can be difficult but fortunately we don’t have these occasions often. As I said, I really have no friends so that’s something almost negligible as a concern.