• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I’m done... I can’t in good conscience continue non-veg

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don’t eat very much meat to begin with ... it’s mostly chicken, eggs and occasionally seafood. I ditched beef a long time ago, but this seals the deal.

Be warned the pictures might be disturbing.

Thomas Cayne's answer to Do most animals know they are about to be slaughtered? - Quora

My problem is going to be my family (we are Italian-American, they aren’t Hindu), though I don’t see them often. I don’t have many friends but the ones I do are non-veg. It’s a challenge to avoid meat without offending them, especially if they’re hosting/paying for dinner.

If anyone has ideas how to get around this I’m all ears. I’m considering posting this on my Facebook page as a sort of “You’ve been warned, don’t serve me meat”. :D I can’t in good conscience continue to be non-veg.

Adding: I might add it’s hypocritical of me to have rescued animals, support the ASPCA, not to mention praying to Gods who are the protectors of animals, and chow down on bacon, ribs, lamb chops.

I did just post it on my Facebook page... waiting for the **** storm from my family. :D
I view it as predator and prey relationships in nature so I don't blame people specifically for their desire for meat. I think its still essential for health.

However I do find the prospect of cultured meat as an excellent solution where real genuine meat is provided and the added benefit that no animal had to die for it.

I haven't seen cultured meat in my area just yet but when I do, I'm going to give it a try and post it here on RF on the experience.

I will never hold it against someone who refuses to eat meat to alleviate the suffering involved when one's prey is being killed for dinner.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Thanks. Oh I’ve used that line before. It backfires because they get offended.
Are you sure they "get offended", or might it be that they "act offended". From your story, it seens to me, as a neutral observer, that they "did wrong". And, as with most people "saying sorry" is not on the top of their to do list, they rather "twist the facts" and "boomerang it back at you" (attack is the best defense or something like that; esp. when someone can't handle/own their own emotional provocations)

This kind of episodes happened a lot to me. I used to always defend myself and always explain, really believing they acted innocently. But recently I found out, that they were far from innocent. It was more like a control/power game they played. Took me a while, to really accept that some people behave in this way. I am totally not into these games, so I never expected that.

Vee

Premium Member
I don’t eat very much meat to begin with ... it’s mostly chicken, eggs and occasionally seafood. I ditched beef a long time ago, but this seals the deal.

Thomas Cayne's answer to Do most animals know they are about to be slaughtered? - Quora

My problem is going to be my family (we are Italian-American, they aren’t Hindu), though I don’t see them often. I don’t have many friends but the ones I do are non-veg. It’s a challenge to avoid meat without offending them, especially if they’re hosting/paying for dinner.

If anyone has ideas how to get around this I’m all ears. I’m considering posting this on my Facebook page as a sort of “You’ve been warned, don’t serve me meat”. :D I can’t in good conscience continue to be non-veg.

Adding: I might add it’s hypocritical of me to have rescued animals, support the ASPCA, not to mention praying to Gods who are the protectors of animals, and chow down on bacon, ribs, lamb chops.

I did just post it on my Facebook page... waiting for the **** storm from my family. :D

If you explain, I think most people will understand and respect your point of view. Plus, there are so many food choices today that finding vegetarian options is not even complicated or expensive. Most restaurants have at least one or two choices, sometimes even vegan.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you sure they "get offended", or might it be that they "act offended". From your story, it seens to me, as a neutral observer, that they "did wrong". And, as with most people "saying sorry" is not on the top of their to do list, they rather "twist the facts" and "boomerang it back at you" (attack is the best defense or something like that; esp. when someone can't handle/own their own emotional provocations)

This kind of episodes happened a lot to me. I used to always defend myself and always explain, really believing they acted innocently. But recently I found out, that they were far from innocent. It was more like a control/power game they played. Took me a while, to really accept that some people behave in this way. I am totally not into these games, so I never expected that.

Hmm... good question. I think you’re right, it’s more acting offended. It’s a genetic trait inherent in Italian women. Act hurt to guilt the person. :D

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
sometimes even vegan.
In the UK, it's sort of jumped a step. What I mean is restaurants (as a generalisation) used to have some vegetarian options listed within the main menu, there was hardly ever an actual separate menu. Now, with the explosion of veganism, there is often a separate vegan menu. For instance, we went to a national "burger restaurant" chain the other day and they had two menus. Vegetarians never had this!

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
It’s a challenge in my case having a large Italian-American family raised on meatballs and bracciole. And I mean meatballs that don’t often make it into the gravy. I have to say I do miss them, not having eaten beef in a very long time. We don’t use bread crumbs or white bread. We take stale Italian bread, the kind so stale you could crack a crocodile’s skull with it, soak it in water to rehydrate it, peel the crust off (just toss it), squeeze out the water, mix the bread with the meat, an egg, parsley, grated Parmesan cheese. They should be about the size of a small to medium egg. And here’s the important thing... fry them until brown and crispy, preferably in olive oil. Ah marrone! :) This is a staple of the Italian-American table. Even passing up the meatballs all the already-cooked meats are put into the gravy to simmer.

There's a burgeoning array of alternatives coming onto the market. This vegan parmesan was recommended to us by our Italian neighbours. They are aged about 50 and ate meat and dairy until about 5 years ago. They gave it to their parents without telling them it wasn't dairy and the parents couldn't tell it wasn't dairy parmesan either. It even has that delightful sweaty feet odour!

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
1F820025-4F6F-4E36-BA25-A9D5568BD1B7.jpeg

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I have had the Vegetarian whopper (I think the mayo has some egg in it so not vegan) The impossible burger is so close to the real thing that the difference does not really matter. At least if one kills one's burger. I don't think that it could pull off imitating a medium rare burger. But since burger places do kill their burgers due to the threat of E. coli you will not notice much of a difference with fast food.

amorphous_constellation

Look up the work of the engineer Temple Grandin.. if everyone would adopt her methods, I'm pretty sure that a lot of suffering would be reduced

I don't know, maybe in a hundred years we might get realistic cultivated meat as well.. who knows

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Look up the work of the engineer Temple Grandin.. if everyone would adopt her methods, I'm pretty sure that a lot of suffering would be reduced

I don't know, maybe in a hundred years we might get realistic cultivated meat as well.. who knows
Cultured meat is a reality now. Its just not readily available. At least in my area.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've not seen it here, I don't think we have it in the UK currently. Do you like it?
I don't do fake meat. I was just trying to help out Jainarayan. It reminds me too much of meat. Last steak I had was a cauliflower steak. (Slice the cauliflower in pieces vertically, about 3/4 inch thick, and grill it with seasonings.)

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Even Lisa Simpson is a veg. :)
You're in good company.

How 'The Simpsons' kept its vegetarian promise to Paul McCartney