• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Humans Vs. Any Other Spices

Viker

Häxan
I use almost all spices but these are the ones in heavy use.

Cumin
Red chili powder
Black pepper
Paprika
Nutmeg
Cinnamon
Granulated garlic (sometimes fresh)
Basil (sometimes fresh)
Turmeric

I consider salt a spice. I prefer sea salt. But standard iodized table salt gets used often.

I side with @SalixIncendium on the fallout shelter three.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I don't know what spices I do not have. I have far too many. And please note, "chili powder" in the US is very mild. It is a mix of species that one used to make chili. It is a bit like garam masala in that sense. Our cayenne pepper is probably what is closest to your "red chili powder".

It is amazing how changing the basic herbs and spices one uses can turn almost the same ingredients into a stew or a curry, or even a gumbo.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
And please note, "chili powder" in the US is very mild. It is a mix of species that one used to make chili. It is a bit like garam masala in that sense. Our cayenne pepper is probably what is closest to your "red chili powder".
Actually, mine is Deep brand imported from India. Pure red chili powder.

redchilipowder_grande.png

exchemist

Veteran Member
Sorry for the title, but it's a play on words from another thread I created the other day.

What are your favorite spices...the ones you can't live without?

And as a supplement to @Vinayaka's fallout shelter thread, if you could only pick three, which three of your favorites would you pick?

In my cabinet are:
  • Red chili powder
  • Black pepper
  • Garam masala
  • Old Bay
  • Turmeric
  • Salt (technically a mineral, not a spice)
All of them I consider my favorites, because, depending on the dish, they go on just about everything I eat.

My fallout shelter spices would be:
  • Red chili powder
  • Black Pepper
  • Salt
Then again, Old Bay has all three of these, so I could cheat and just do Old Bay, garam masala, and turmeric, and live with the proportion issues.
Salt obviously is essential. Black peppercorns would be vital for me, either to grind, crush or use whole.

The other flavourings I use are mainly herbs rather than spices (I would class bayleaves as a herb - I have a bay tree outside). Dried chillies (not powder, as I would consider a mortar and pestle a key part of my shelter kit, using it also for the peppercorns and for garlic) would help a lot.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Hmm favorite spices?

S&P is a must.
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Sage
Thyme
Basil
Rosemary
Cumin

Fallout shelter spices:
Salt
Pepper
Sage
Sage as a fallout shelter herb? Do you mean sagebrush by any chance? Sagebrush grows in quite a bit of the US. Sage the cooking herb, not so much. It may be easy to grow, I do not know myself. But sagebrush appears to be an herb that you can use in place of sage. It took a while to find, but its scent is similar to that of sage and that is how it got its name, though they are not closely related at all. And you can use it as you would use the herb sage:

☆Dreamwind☆

Look Salix, just because you suplex your fresh ginger everyday doesn't mean the rest of us are as hard-core.

The basics I guess. Salt, pepper, sage, thyme, garlic, dill. If saffron was easier to get hold of...ohhh I make a positively scrumptious beef and veggie dish with it.