• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Howdy! New from Texas

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Welcome, i hope you can stick around and make friends.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Hi there, coffee loving atheist here but dont worry, I don't bite... Hope you enjoy yourself at RF, sit back, relax and enjoy the cake.

3291372281_d72ef5e24f_b.jpg

And i believe @Revoltingest will be along soon with the keys to the staff canteen.

exchemist

Veteran Member
This looks like an interesting place to hang out. I am a member of the church of Christ, and I'm interested in Biblical debates and discussions.
What's the Church of Christ? I don't mean this in a hostile way but I'd have thought any Christian church is a church of Christ, by definition.

CrochetOverCoffee

Ask me anything about the church of Christ.
What's the Church of Christ? I don't mean this in a hostile way but I'd have thought any Christian church is a church of Christ, by definition.

The church of Christ is a specific religious group not related to Protestant denominationalism or Roman Catholicism. We are also not related to the International Churches of Christ, which is either a cult or a denomination (not sure which, honestly), or the LDS. It is led by those who only follow what is written in the Scriptures, speaking where the Bible speaks and being silent where it is silent. It has no head but Jesus, no creed, confession of faith, or church manual other than the Bible, no leadership outside of the plurality of elders and deacons authorized by the Bible, and no headship of one congregation or group of elders over another congregation or group of elders. It teaches that water baptism of a believing, pentitant adult is a requirement of salvation, that baptism is what puts you into the church, that the church is the kingdom of God is the body of Christ, and that there is one faith, one hope, one baptism, one calling. It meets on the first day of every week to worship God in Jesus's name, that worship consisting of preaching, singing, prayer, giving of our means, and observance of the Lord's supper to memorialize His death on the cross. You will find upon visiting a sound congregation of the church of Christ no instrument of music, no choir stands, no liturgical robes, and no human names to refer to Biblical matters.

This is a quick overview. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

exchemist

Veteran Member
The church of Christ is a specific religious group not related to Protestant denominationalism or Roman Catholicism. We are also not related to the International Churches of Christ, which is either a cult or a denomination (not sure which, honestly), or the LDS. It is led by those who only follow what is written in the Scriptures, speaking where the Bible speaks and being silent where it is silent. It has no head but Jesus, no creed, confession of faith, or church manual other than the Bible, no leadership outside of the plurality of elders and deacons authorized by the Bible, and no headship of one congregation or group of elders over another congregation or group of elders. It teaches that water baptism of a believing, pentitant adult is a requirement of salvation, that baptism is what puts you into the church, that the church is the kingdom of God is the body of Christ, and that there is one faith, one hope, one baptism, one calling. It meets on the first day of every week to worship God in Jesus's name, that worship consisting of preaching, singing, prayer, giving of our means, and observance of the Lord's supper to memorialize His death on the cross. You will find upon visiting a sound congregation of the church of Christ no instrument of music, no choir stands, no liturgical robes, and no human names to refer to Biblical matters.

This is a quick overview. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.
OK so it's a fairly extreme sola scriptura Protestant church. I understand. What's the objection to musical instruments?

CrochetOverCoffee

Ask me anything about the church of Christ.
It's not actually a Protestant church. It had nothing to do with the Reformation movement begun by Martin Luther and others. And the objection to instruments of music is that they aren't authorized by the New Testament. Many parts of the Old Law were reinstituted in the kingdom of God, but mechanical instruments was not one of them, just as animal sacrifice was not and stoning of evildoers was not. Therefore the church does not use them.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
This looks like an interesting place to hang out. I am a member of the church of Christ, and I'm interested in Biblical debates and discussions.
It is. I have a couple of suggestions to keep your threads easy to manage. We have a lot of people here that are not religious. If you post information in any area that is marked for debate, you should expect all kinds of objections from objections to belief in the existence of God to objections to religious legal freedoms. All kinds of objections are allowed in debate areas except for specially marked ones. That doesn't mean that nobody here is a believer or that nobody here is serious about religion. It just means that you should pick your battles. For example if you specifically wish to debate the meaning of Christian bible scriptures there is an area for that.

On the other hand if you don't want to debate (be corrected by or correct anyone) then there are areas that are strictly for stating your position and for politely asking questions.

exchemist

Veteran Member
It's not actually a Protestant church. It had nothing to do with the Reformation movement begun by Martin Luther and others. And the objection to instruments of music is that they aren't authorized by the New Testament. Many parts of the Old Law were reinstituted in the kingdom of God, but mechanical instruments was not one of them, just as animal sacrifice was not and stoning of evildoers was not. Therefore the church does not use them.
Well OK, but from your description it is a fairly extreme sola scriptura church. The stance on musical instruments is a case in point. Nothing in the NT forbids them, yet your church bans them because they are not explicitly authorised in scripture. That's pretty severe sola scriptura.

Sola scriptura was one of Luther's chief founding principles: Sola scriptura - Wikipedia So I can't really see how one can claim it is not a Protestant church. But perhaps what you mean is it does not derive from any of the original Protestant denominations, such as Lutherans, Calvinists etc.

Actually, now that I think about it, Luther was himself a musician and composer and was a great exponent of congregational singing - something he more or less started, I think. Some musicologists attribute the great musical tradition of the Germany to Luther's influence. He certainly seems to have been quite happy with instruments in church. So your church is most definitely not Lutheran!

But if your church allows a cappella singing, then I am a great admirer of that too. I've sung quite a lot of Renaissance a cappella music for the church. I find it very beautiful and rewarding to sing, though also extremely demanding. One of my favourites for Christmastime is Victoria's O Magnum Mysterium. I wonder if you know it: