• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would Romans know?

monti

This has always baffled me.

This Roman crucifixion party have nailed up Jesus; they then decide to gamble for his robes to fulfil, it is said, a prophecy?

technomage

Finding my own way

This Roman crucifixion party have nailed up Jesus; they then decide to gamble for his robes to fulfil, it is said, a prophecy?
According to the Christian narrative, the Romans didn't _know_ they were fulfilling a prophecy. They were just doing what they were going to do anyway.

Most likely, it's simply a theological addition by the unknown author of GoMatt. Several of the "in order to fulfill the prophecy" pericopes in GoMatt distorted the Tanakh passages that they assert are "fulfilled prophecies."

rusra02

Premium Member

The execution party fulfilled other prophecies as well. They did not break any of his bones, and they pierced his side with a spear, after Jesus died, to fulfill Psalm 34:20 and Isaiah 53:5.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I think we need to remember that scriptures, any scriptures, tend to be quite subjective.

arcanum

Yes they were written into the narrative to intentionally fulfill scripture, the writer of Matthew does this a lot as this was the most Jewish of the gospels and was written for a Jewish audience.

Last edited:

monti

According to the Christian narrative, the Romans didn't _know_ they were fulfilling a prophecy. They were just doing what they were going to do anyway.
Well isn't this the christian narrative?

It is the Roman soldiers who say>
King James Bible

They said therefore among themselves, Let us not rend it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be that the scripture might be fulfilled, which saith, They parted my raiment among them, and for my vesture they did cast lots. These things therefore the soldiers did.

i.e. it is the Roman soldiers speaking. So how would they know what prophesies are to be fulfilled?
Didn't the Romans have their own religion and living God, Caesar?

monti

A case of the Texas Sharpshooter.....
Guy shoots at a barn half a mile away, walks to the barn, & paints a bullseye centered on the bullet hole.
I like your thinking.:D

Fiction isn't so baffling, it's the believing.
Indeed.

Yes they were written into the narrative to intentionally fulfill scripture, the writer of Matthew does this a lot as this was the most Jewish of the gospels and was written for a Jewish audience.

Yes good ole’ Matty always seems to have an Old Testament prophecy on tap doesn’t he.
I wonder why he kept silent when it came to the Jews not being allowed to put Jesus to death when there are a few occasions in the New testament that prove to the contrary?

technomage

Finding my own way
Well isn't this the christian narrative?

It is the Roman soldiers who say>
King James Bible

They said therefore among themselves, Let us not rend it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be that the scripture might be fulfilled, which saith, They parted my raiment among them, and for my vesture they did cast lots. These things therefore the soldiers did.

i.e. it is the Roman soldiers speaking. So how would they know what prophesies are to be fulfilled?
Didn't the Romans have their own religion and living God, Caesar?
The asserted quote was "Let us not rend it, but cast lots for it whose it shall be." While the KJV doesn't make it clear, the rest of the verse is an editorial addition by the author of Matthew, not a statement by the Roman soldiers.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Yes good ole’ Matty always seems to have an Old Testament prophecy on tap doesn’t he.
I wonder why he kept silent when it came to the Jews not being allowed to put Jesus to death when there are a few occasions in the New testament that prove to the contrary?
Huh :confused:

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
I Yes good ole’ Matty always seems to have an Old Testament prophecy on tap doesn’t he.

Except that your quote is actually John 19:24.

As to the passage itself it is important to note that the KJV does not use quotation marks so while it may appear at first glance that the soldiers are saying that they are fulfilling prophecy, actually they're not.

Peter

CMike

The execution party fulfilled other prophecies as well. They did not break any of his bones, and they pierced his side with a spear, after Jesus died, to fulfill Psalm 34:20 and Isaiah 53:5.
In correct context and translations.

No jewish scriptures have anything to do with jesus.

seeking4truth

No Jewish scriptures have anything to do with jesus.

This is a big claim.

It would seem that Jesus was accepted as a teacher for a long time before he claimed to be the Messiah and then was rejected by the temple authorities in Jerusalem.
He did have influence and authority before then and later in Samaria - Samaritans are Jews I believe.

How do you know his writing has not been absorbed into Jewish teachings?
There are many who say that the Dead Sea Scrolls were the records of those Jews who accepted and followed Jesus as 'the Teacher of Righteousness'.

CMike

This is a big claim.

It would seem that Jesus was accepted as a teacher for a long time before he claimed to be the Messiah and then was rejected by the temple authorities in Jerusalem.
He did have influence and authority before then and later in Samaria - Samaritans are Jews I believe.

How do you know his writing has not been absorbed into Jewish teachings?
There are many who say that the Dead Sea Scrolls were the records of those Jews who accepted and followed Jesus as 'the Teacher of Righteousness'.
Because Jews don't take self proclaimed gods seriously.