• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how wise are you?

kloth

what's your personal opinion on yourself as to how wise you are?
what do others you know in real life say about your wisdom level?
what do you believe has made you so wise?
what's your exact source(s) of becoming as wise as you are in other words?
do you believe in seeing is believing?
would you say you can be gullible at times? and why is that?

just curious is all. thanks.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
No one is wiser than me -- except my neighbor's annoying cats. I know because people tell me, "Phil, those cats are wiser than you." But they never tell me, "Phil, I am wiser than you."

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
I don't think there is a good way of self-defining one's own wisdom or lack thereof.

Wisdom has at its basis experience; the more difficult and taxing the experiences you have, then the more wisdom you derive from surviving said experiences.

Seeing is strong evidence, but should not be the same as believing. We are aware of a number of perceptual shortcuts that can cause false beliefs and are aware that hallucinations and mis-hearing (mis-seeing, etc) are all possible. The truth about our experiences is not the same as truth about the content of our experiences.

Everyone has moments of vulnerability and moments of irrationality. Since I am a part of the set of "everyone" I am highly confidant I can be taken advantage of.

MTF

Slapstick

No one is wiser than me -- except my neighbor's annoying cats. I know because people tell me, "Phil, those cats are wiser than you." But they never tell me, "Phil, I am wiser than you."
I think your neighbors are trying to tell you something. You aren't all that clever. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
- If wisdom was measured by the size of the flock of snow geese in beautiful Canuckistan, I'd be a duck.
- I'm dumber that Dumber.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I'm wise enough to not answer that question directly.
Average.
Human nature.
Being born and experiences thereafter.
Belief has very little to do with sensation.
Of course. To err is human.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I think wisdom comes by seeing things from various perspectives.

I think my friends would hold me as "mature" (and likely add "on some things " :D ) but I dont think they would associate me with "wise" I find the questin interesting though. I may actually ask em :D

I know two friends specific friends would definetely think of me as wiser than average, one has specifically told me and many times. She values my advice highly.

Which is kinda funny, because generally, I dont advice her at all, just ask her questions and let her figure herself out for herself :D

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
What's that saying about "The wise don't say they know, and those who say, don't know."?

Is my typing this saying.... !!!!???

I don't know?

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
What's that saying about "The wise don't say they know, and those who say, don't know."?

Is my typing this saying.... !!!!???

I don't know?

Nah you're good. Certainty is the enemy of wisdom; since you aren't certain of the wisdom of what you are typing, then you are in the clear.

MTF

Orias

Left Hand Path

just curious is all. thanks.

I wouldn't say I am wise, just aware of myself enough to know when I am being foolish. And even then, if I am aware of my own foolishness that doesn't always mean I can stop being foolish or that I even want to stop.

I've had people label me all over the spectrum, from being "wise beyond my years" to "wanting to be wise beyond my years" to "achieving some steps in enlightenment" and to "possessing knowledge of how to attain enlightenment".

I honestly don't care much, since I've had so many people tell me I am wise and I have had so many people tell me that I am not wise I have learned to roll with whatever is being thrown my way and that in all situations your best bet is to be like water. Water can mold into anything, fit into any container, but it can also crash, and possess the force and might of a rock, or star, or comet.

Be like water.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Funny you should ask. I have determined that there is a definite difference between being smart and being wise. If you're smart you'd be rich. If you're wise you'd realize that if you're smart you'd be rich. I'm way more wise than smart.