• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Will The Covid 19 Pandemic End?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The pandemic will indeed end, as have others in our past.
But it Covid 19 & variants won't be eradicated....They'll
become endemic, & merely something we deal with,
just like the bubonic plague...it's still here, just uncommon.

This is a pretty comprehensive article about the issue.
But there might be a paywall for some. So I'll quote
a little, & I'll quote more upon request.
I recommend subscribing to National Geographic.
How will the pandemic end? The science of past outbreaks offers clues.
Excerpted...
How will the pandemic end? The science of past outbreaks offers clues.
The answer depends on many factors, perhaps the most critical being the global nature of the crisis.

BYJILLIAN KRAMER
PUBLISHED AUGUST 6, 2021
• 9 MIN READ
After months of encouraging trendlines, July’s dramatic spike in global COVID-19 infections has dimmed the proverbial light at the end of the pandemic tunnel.

In May, coronavirus cases were declining across the U.S., parts of Europe, and the Middle East as vaccination rates rose, spurring an easing of social and travel restrictions and a wave of business reopenings. But in the U.S., at least, any celebration was short-lived. By July, vaccination rates flatlined and highly transmissible coronavirus variants swept the nation, forcing health officials to reimpose masking recommendations and call for increased inoculations.

The World Health Organization declared COVID-19 a pandemic on March 11, 2020. After 17 grueling and chaotic months, weary people are wondering: When will the pandemic finally end?

“Even among the scientific community, you would get really different answers,” says Rachael Piltch-Loeb, a researcher and fellow with the Emergency Preparedness Research, Evaluation & Practice Program at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. “There is no one definition of what the end of a pandemic means.”

A pandemic is by definition a global crisis. Lifting some U.S. public health measures and interventions “gave people a sense that the panic was waning,” Piltch-Loeb says. That euphoria blinded many to the worldwide reality, which remains bleak.

“Until this [virus] is controlled or more limited globally, it’s not going away,” Piltch-Loeb says. That means declaring the pandemic’s “end” may be a distant goal, requiring different conditions depending on who’s asked.

Where do diseases go?
When the worldwide spread of a disease is brought under control in a localized area, it’s no longer a pandemic but an epidemic, according to the WHO. If COVID-19 persists globally at what the WHO judges to be “expected or normal levels,” the organization will then re-designate the disease “endemic.”

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Some advice....
- Be careful to avoid infection & infecting.
- Keep your spirits up, & be kind to others.
- Be very skeptical of miracle cures & magic bullets.
- Be hopeful that life will return to normal.
Normal isn't that great for everyone,
but it's better than what we have now.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Some advice....
- Be careful to avoid infection & infecting.
- Keep your spirits up, & be kind to others.
- Be very skeptical of miracle cures & magic bullets.
- Be hopeful that life will return to normal.
Normal isn't that great for everyone,
but it's better than what we have now.

To me the old 'normal' is dead and a better 'normal' has a chance to become our reality.

Whether or not one believes in God, I believe life offers lessons that can be learned. Covid is a classic example.

Every day we see a story about someone who refused the jab dying, causing mass infections, causing someone else to get deathly ill and possibly die and so forth.

Every day we see stories about Christians who walk the talk and get vaccinated believing it's their Christian duty to love others as they love themselves.

Every day there are stories about people from other religions and countries reaching out to help the "least".

Capture.PNG

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
To me the old 'normal' is dead and a better 'normal' has a chance to become our reality.

Whether or not one believes in God, I believe life offers lessons that can be learned. Covid is a classic example.

Every day we see a story about someone who refused the jab dying, causing mass infections, causing someone else to get deathly ill and possibly die and so forth.

Every day we see stories about Christians who walk the talk and get vaccinated believing it's their Christian duty to love others as they love themselves.

Every day there are stories about people from other religions and countries reaching out to help the "least".

View attachment 54291
I believe in epidemiology & mechanical engineering.
Everything else is suspect.

PureX

Veteran Member
The names and the variants will change, but be replaced by other pathogens. It's inevitable with so many of us on the planet, and moving around so much. A pathogen's superhighway.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think its going to go away. I don't think there's a 'back to normal' around the corner. And I've kind of made my peace with it. I totally believe it will become endemic. Eventually, I suspect the virus will evolve to a point where it isn't quite as deadly or detrimental, and it will fall into the category of other flus and colds. But this will take years, not months...

As for now, I took my vaccine and I wear a mask. I'll continue to wear my mask long term; really, I don't know how I got away showing my face in public for so many years... I think hard before I do something, and determine if its worth the risk. My nephew's birthday party(mostly outdoors) is. A restaurant in my virus ridden area isn't(I can order the food and take it home instead). I keep track of the case numbers of the area I'm in and act accordingly, much as someone checks the weather or allergy alerts.

To an extent, life has changed forever. Once changes occur, you don't successfully backpedal. You can try, but things are never quite just like before...

F1fan

Veteran Member
One thing I wonder with Biden being elected, and trump and right wing media spreading more disinformation, if Covid is being used by the right as a sort of weapon against democrats. With DeSantis and Abbott being openly against expert advice, and even common sense, and more infections, hospitalizations, and deaths being reported, is this being used to punish citizens and create another dire circumstance where lockdowns may have to be implemented, thus creating another fight between right and left over public safety policies? I don't think it is deliberate, but rather how the extreme right stands in opposition to a more collective approach to public health for the idealistic individualism that the right voter applauds. Plus the right knows many black citizens are not getting vaccinated due to the history of abuse in medical studies. They also know many poor black people don't have insurance and may suffer greater consequences than white, middle class people who likely have insurance coverage.

Any thoughts?