• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How/why did you choose your religion?

Zygote

Pragmatist
Some people are born into a religion and choose not to question its tenets. Even staying in one's birth culture is a choice in this age of multicultural exposure.

What points of choice have there been in your religious life? What affected those choices? What were the outcomes?

I was raised without a religious structure, although we practiced the vestiges of Christianity: Christmas trees and presents, Easter egg hunts. I have spent much of my life seeking what seems to me to be wisdom and a way to be a person I can live with. This process has drawn from many traditions, including Christianity. I have never managed to include anything resembling a deity.

I have watched my brother adopt Christianity to the extent that he feels that it guides his life. But he has changed denominations or churches many times to find one that matches his beliefs. He sees the places he leaves as being "not really Christian" in their teachings, not as being a bad fit for his personal preferences.

This has made me curious about how other people experience choice in the practice or selection of their religion. What have you chosen?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I follow Yeshua (aka Jesus). It's Christian, yet Christian can mean so many things from the very devout, who go to Church and Bible study more than once a week to those who go to Church on Easter and Christmas only. It has so many variations, I decided that although I am a Baptist, that I am TRULY a follower of Yeshua.
I chose this faith because I liked the teachings of Jesus while reading the Christian Scriptures (aka The New Testament).

Kolibri

I was introduced to Jehovah's Witnesses when I was about 7 years old. For me it was about Bible study and comparing the quality of free education I was getting in biblical matters from that my schoolmates were getting. And I came to see Jehovah as a living God and not a mystery or an impersonal something that did not care. I found I had satisfying answers to why God permits suffering and evidence that he was guiding my life even when it involved pressure to clean up my own hypocrisies. My form of worship did not remain a set of facts found from exploring the Bible topically, but I could see kindness, mercy and firmness as I was being dealt with personally. I could see how others were being used to help me in an orchestrated way with no human orchestrating them. This God proved his realness to me and his enduring qualities drew me to appreciate him as a person worthy of my total respect. Learning of his sense of justice is continually refining how obedient I am.

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I was raised Catholic and discarded that. I became an atheist-materialist. I started to learn about the paranormal and determined materialism does not appear true either. I looked for a system to explain things materialism can not explain. I found Theosophy and its parent form Hinduism as clearly the best understanding. I found a master in that tradition that I believe is an advanced soul beyond all my reasonable doubts.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Baptised out of tradition, non-religious background.

I searched for a few years religions, because being non-religious, felt like something was missing. I couldn't agree with organised religions, but didn't find much comfort in trying to construct a religion of my own either. I found that I liked Paganism quite a bit as well, but couldn't believe in literal named gods and some other things. But there's a focus on nature which appealed to me, because it's tangible reality.

So I asked myself a lot of questions, reflected, read and listened to a lot of stuff. Recently, I realised that I needed something that made logical sense, that wasn't unprovable "woo" but still valued celebrations, rituals and spirituality. Although I could speculate about a deity and many other things, which is fun, I find more peace in focusing on things that are around me.

So one day, I stumbled on it, naturalism and humanism based spirituality. It made sense to me and I still could cherish that which is important to me, without supernatural stuff. And it allows me great freedom of thought and to develop something that is more personal. There's no fixed view that can't evolve. I love it.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
My beliefs, after years of searching, seem to have chosen me. Like ChristineS I follow the teachings of Yeshua (the true teachings, not the church stuff) thus the term Jesusonian. The Buddhism came from my search and the panentheism came from within.

Laika

Premium Member
I had a bout of mental illness (depression/anxiety) and personal crisis in coming to terms with being bisexual and my own unhappiness in life from feeling unfulfilled. I was in a pretty vulnerable state and most people would have looked to god for some meaning or purpose in life and to find some sense of place in the world. This would normally have ended with me becoming devoutly religious and I'm surprised it didn't. it was not a question of "choice" but inner necessity to keep going as something had gone quite wrong.
I was briefly a theist when I was a kid at primary school as god was mentioned a lot (the thing I remember most is singing about Jesus and god in assembly). It didn't stick and I became an atheist age 8 or so. religion was somewhat taboo in my house as my mum and dad don't agree on religion and it remains a sensitive issue. Politics was discussed on a daily basis, so that was probably why my beliefs were political rather than religious.
When I started having problems I remember that I had a brief interest in Zen Buddhism because of watching the Last Samurai because it sounded really cool. I did also have a copy of the Qur'an as something I felt I should read, but even after all this time still haven't; this was more of a anthropological interests as Islam was (and still is) in the news a lot. I had also read the Book of revelations to see what it actually said and maybe the opening of Genesis. none of these 'stuck' though.
For some atheist/humanist bias, a misplaced belief that science (rather than god) would have the answer to any problem (including psychological ones), a hefty dose of anti-capitalism and access to few second-hand books from a fascination with the idea and it's history, I became a communist instead. It was simply an easier path to take for me than to become religious. Both my parents are unhappy with the choice and were not keen on my initial interest in it either even before I started having problems. my mum more so as she is spiritual whereas my dad is an atheist (I think). But they are happy to see I'm better and not so depressed any more.
Otherwise, the inner experience is- as far as I can tell- identical with religious conversion as a way of re-ordering one's owns beliefs and emotions to achieve a sense of peace and fulfillment. Communism does everything a religion would do as a worldview, just minus the god bit.

Reactions: gsa

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Well, after spending years as an atheist, and thus building my morality from philosophical and scientific standards, I gave religion another chance. At first it was Buddhism, but I eventually looked into Hinduism. It is said that people inherently change for the religion (which is true to a degree), but I found that most of what I had already believed was in Hinduism.

As such, I sent time as an Advaita Vedantin, then as a Shaiva, before coming into Sri Vaishnavism. I formally became Hindu almost 2 months ago via initiation.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I wouldn't say I chose. Contemporary Paganism was the inevitable result of various environmental, social, and individual factors. It pretty much described what I already was, but didn't know was actually a thing until far later in life than would have been ideal.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I was raised in a non religious home. My mother said she didn't want us believing in fairy tales. She said that we can follow whatever we like. One day she took my three siblings and I to a Pentecostal church (this was about fifteen years ago). In order for us to be part of the church we had to be baptized. So I was baptized in water with my mother taking pictures while all of us didn't have a real conception of what we were actually doing.

I chose to study the Bible at about 16-18ish and read most of it. I was fantasized with Jesus but never knew anything about God. I knew about Christ and never had a relationship with Him. What I learned and chose to keep in my life was prayer. I couldn't hear God in any type of way, so I remember writing my prayers instead.

Years later, I visited the Roman Catholic Church with my friend for what about 13 years and counting. I chose to join the Catholic Church three years ago because I remember when I studied the Bible I wanted to be a nun and devote my life to pray and study only. Later I wanted to be a priest, but my hopes were dashed because I broke the rules of being a nun and only males can be priests.

Eventually, I stopped practicing Christianity all together. Our family split because of disagreements in the past and many family members died throughout the years as well as my grandmothers; so, I felt a inner need rather than an educational need to connect with my family. That was spirituality to me. God did not provide a foundation or explained my origin as my family. Although we disagree (my family and I), for some reason ancestors included, there is something about knowing your family--not just blood related--that supersedes any deity one can believe in. Anyone can chose a deity and belief. No one can choose their family.

Years ago, my mother practiced witchcraft. She practices because of the interest and she has a strong aura that pulls spirits. If she made it a serious practice, I'm sure she'd be a well matured witch, for lack of better wording. I took the interest of witchcraft (or what people consider these days modern paganism) from her and really looked into it. I fell in love with ethnic faiths but I never traveled outside the states to experience different ethnic environments. I felt that was what is missing in my spiritual journey is changing my perspective from individual to global.

Religion (how I practiced my faith) became part of me and a choice I took up because I wanted to be with my family and communicate with them more. I wanted to see life in a global way. I wanted to contribute to society. I want to take care of myself, my health, my mind, and so forth. All the above. Many ethnic religions (or what Christians call in the past "pagan" religions) practice ancestral veneration so I took that up. I don't steal specific practices, but I like the idea of communicating with family members who have passed on. I am an animist (not religiously or by title, it just makes common sense), a pantheist (spirituality can't be divided) but not by title either), a witch (by practice not by heritage), and what throws it off nicely a Catholic (by sacrament not by practice).

These beliefs all chose me, I did not chose them. If I were to pick a faith to live by it would be an ethnic faith incorporating ancestral veneration and worship to the divine with no personification as a deity or person.

Many ethnic faiths are not evangelistic. They are private and hard to be a part of (not as a choice but something you are called to) because you have to gain the trust of practitioners who have been in their faith for years. I chose to look at Santeria because of the spirits of nature (as an animist, makes a lot of sense) or the Orishas call to me and it also has ancestral practices. Whats hard to get over is they do have a deity they follow--but no one has explained the difference between their deity and that of a Christian deity. It is of a completely different culture. Many Americans regardless the faith believe spirituality is free of charge. The customs are foreign and the language is completely different than English.

Here is more of a in depth view of my entry into paganism. That's my take. Why Paganism chose me | ReligiousForums.com

Some people are born into a religion and choose not to question its tenets. Even staying in one's birth culture is a choice in this age of multicultural exposure.

What points of choice have there been in your religious life? What affected those choices? What were the outcomes?

This has made me curious about how other people experience choice in the practice or selection of their religion. What have you chosen?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

I was raised without a religious structure, although we practiced the vestiges of Christianity: Christmas trees and presents, Easter egg hunts. I have spent much of my life seeking what seems to me to be wisdom and a way to be a person I can live with. This process has drawn from many traditions, including Christianity. I have never managed to include anything resembling a deity.

I have watched my brother adopt Christianity to the extent that he feels that it guides his life. But he has changed denominations or churches many times to find one that matches his beliefs. He sees the places he leaves as being "not really Christian" in their teachings, not as being a bad fit for his personal preferences.

I was a born again Christian. Until not long ago.

The main reason I chose Christianity was due to the fact that my space-temporal location happened to be in a Christian area. And alternatives who might have fulfilled my spirituality were limited (jediism came later at these latitudes).

If I had been born in the same place several centuries ago, I would have chosen Thor. If I had been born in Africa, I would have worshipped the great Juju on the top of the mountain. With the same enthusiasm, probably.

Ciao

- viole

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I knew of the Norse Gods for years but I ignored them and gave them no more thought than being just old stories. Then I began feeling more drawn to Thor and wanting to know more about him and the other Gods. I even got a replica of the Eyrarland Statue but I didn't really know what to do with it. It was more than a decoration because I was beginning to feel more of a pull to him. I became disillusioned with practicing Hinduism; Buddhism was a failure to launch also. One day I felt a really strong pull towards Thor. I say he grabbed me in a headlock. That would be his way... to the point, no beating around the bush.

lockyfan

I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I was not always one. I grew up loving RE in school but never really had a thought about religion.
My dad and my older half brothers and sisters are athiests.
A friend of mine read matthew 24 and 25, luke 21, 1 timothy 3 and genesis 3:1-5 to me. When she explained that these were all prophecies about the last days and information as to why we all sin, i knew it was right straight away. So she gave me a friend pf hers number and i started studying.

I had to change a few things before i became a witness one was my desire not to go door to door preaching (pretty much all witnesses say they dont want to do this before we get the desire to do so.) only when i was ready did i start and i wasnt pushed to talk in the ministry either.

Servant_of_the_One1

The reason i am staunch believer in islam is because i like the concept of worshiping One God(not trinity or thousand-in-One) and the belief that Allah swt send prophets to warn the people from devastation punishment.
I believe in Allah, the angels, prophets and judgement day. This is what keeps me moving. Everytime i look up in the sky i know there is a Creator behind this all. Alhamdulilah for being muslim.

lockyfan

The reason i am staunch believer in islam is because i like the concept of worshiping One God(not trinity or thousand-in-One) and the belief that Allah swt send prophets to warn the people from devastation punishment.
I believe in Allah, the angels, prophets and judgement day. This is what keeps me moving. Everytime i look up in the sky i know there is a Creator behind this all. Alhamdulilah for being muslim.

Jehovahs witnesses believe in only one true god, ruler of the universe who gives others the chance to survive the coming war of armageddon

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
I was born a Hebrew, but mother after her concentration camp experiences was
frightened if i should display it outside the house, Dad thinks all the religion stuff is myth.
my school was a regular British school so mainly Xian ... i went almost secretly to
Shull and occasionally with my friends to Sunday school .. We were Orthodox and
Kosher at home ...

So i got a somewhat confusing message and had to study religion in an effort to figure
which held truth ... After a PhD in Comparative religion i concluded All and None ...
the distortions or untruths seem to be the keepers of the word, the structure of
Priests, Churches etc ... to give them the power and authority

My birth religion i find the most comfortable for me ... here are the rules, live by them
as well as you can, and the duty to live this life fully keeping all Mitzvot ..
simple it requires no focus on afterlife, no promise or threat, just duty and responsibility.

Shalom