• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How "who" do you pray?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
This is non-abrahamic question unless it is part of your belief.

Do you pray?

How do you refer to what and/or to whom you pray to?

If you pray and have no focus-and it isnt meditation-how do you define/act in prayer?

I pray regularly but not as often as I probably ought to. I refer to God when I speak to Him as "Father". Not a "hey Dad, what's up buddy?". No, it's more of a "Father, might I perchance borrow the keys to the car this evening?" tone.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I'm constantly muttering (I HOPE it's under my breath:p) thank-yous and my-aren't-you-beautifuls and can-you-hold-off-on-that-rain-until-I-get-the-car-unloadeds and so on all the time.:D That's one kind of prayer, I think. I also have a few regular rituals where I'm a bit more deliberate. I meditate occasionally (that hasn't been working as well since this depression/memory/attention thing has been going on). I give a brief thanks before eating or drinking things. Rarely, when I have something big going on, or it's a "holy day" celebration there will be something more elaborate (usually a fire or something...speaking of which, it's about Equinox, isn't it?....):cool:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
This is non-abrahamic question unless it is part of your belief.

Do you pray?

How do you refer to what and/or to whom you pray to?

If you pray and have no focus-and it isnt meditation-how do you define/act in prayer?
I am not much of a 'prayer' myself but we can beseech higher beings (gods) for assistance with our spiritual and material affairs. Higher level pantheists are less inclined to pray for material things (except possible healings).

HeatherAnn

My idea of God is evolving.
After some relatively superficial discussion, some have assumed I subscribe to Pantheism, but God is personal to me, as well as objective truth.

I've come to see some profound truth in the moral of the story of "Life of Pi."
God is that part of us that seeks GOoD - and it doesn't matter so much which religion or lack of, as much as spiritually connecting.
God, the universe - life - is based on consciousness... "I AM THAT I AM."
Usually, when my superficial consciousness is too busy, I cannot connect with the deeper consciousness aware of much more.
So I also find truth in "Be still and know that I AM God" and "Gratitude is the parent of all virtues."

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Prayer implies diety, does it not?
Is it a form of worship or is it a form of communication?

No. It doesnt need a deity. I pray to my family every day. I pray to the sun and moon morning and evening. All are which are communication. With family, I can ask for blessings etc. Asking in itself isnt prayer.

Its however you personally define it not my definition.

Do you pray?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I pray regularly but not as often as I probably ought to. I refer to God when I speak to Him as "Father". Not a "hey Dad, what's up buddy?". No, it's more of a "Father, might I perchance borrow the keys to the car this evening?" tone.

Is how you pray refer to a pantheism point of view or do you have a different perspective or religion that involves this type of prayer?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
My idea of God is evolving.
After some relatively superficial discussion, some have assumed I subscribe to Pantheism, but God is personal to me, as well as objective truth.

I've come to see some profound truth in the moral of the story of "Life of Pi."
God is that part of us that seeks GOoD - and it doesn't matter so much which religion or lack of, as much as spiritually connecting.
God, the universe - life - is based on consciousness... "I AM THAT I AM."
Usually, when my superficial consciousness is too busy, I cannot connect with the deeper consciousness aware of much more.
So I also find truth in "Be still and know that I AM God" and "Gratitude is the parent of all virtues."

Pantheism is personal too. You are literally a part of god. Your deeds and actions are god. And so forth. So what good things you do or bad things gives others an example of who god is in you and in your actions. Thats why its personal.

However, I dont know if how you see it is pantheism. Youve define prayer..do you see prayer (or do) as asking god for help? Is it more communication?

Is how you pray refer to a pantheism point of view or do you have a different perspective or religion that involves this type of prayer?

No, not pantheistic. I don't think I am a part of God. At the same time though, I don't believe in an anthropomorphic God. I see myself as a creation of God, but no more than a rock is a creation of God. I pray mostly for communication. No matter how alone I am, God is always there. Even if nobody else was around to see what I did - God saw it.

HeatherAnn

Youve define prayer..do you see prayer (or do) as asking god for help? Is it more communication?
I still have much to learn.
At this time, I see prayer as essentially, connecting to "the kingdom of God" within.
Mostly, that involves deep gratitude - not so much "law of attraction" selfishness, but a gratitude in acknowleding God's influence and having faith/hope that God's influence will direct my life for the highest GOoD.
"God is love" and to me, love is summed up in that prayer, "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and wisdom to know the difference."
But sometimes, I revert back to the old way I was raised with - in pleading for help, demanding it and getting frustrated when it doesn't happen as I wanted.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I feel foolish when i pray.
This is how i know i am being told not to do it.
Why would my soul want me to do something that doesn't feel normal?
Normal is a good feeling.

I thought someone, person, actually told you not to pray rather than it being incomfortable or instinctual to not pray.

Frank Merton

Seems to me a prayer is a one-sided exchange with something external that goes beyond conversation. Other things might be called meditation. I dare say I do both, although since I profess atheism I have no idea who I might be praying to.