• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How "who" do you pray?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Seems to me a prayer is a one-sided exchange with something external that goes beyond conversation. Other things might be called meditation. I dare say I do both, although since I profess atheism I have no idea who I might be praying to.

Maybe a conversation, per se, with your inner self for lack of better words. Verbal meditation.

Frank Merton

Maybe a conversation, per se, with your inner self for lack of better words. Verbal meditation.
This is possible, maybe even probable, although more rigor as to what my "inner self" might be, as you say, would help. If it is my subconscious, or something like that, it seems a bit circular -- you know -- my subconscious forms the words, my conscious self gets them and says them back to my subconscious.

It has also occurred to me that maybe this sort of talking to myself in a semi-religious and somber context encourages being truthful with myself, but I see people lying to their gods and themselves all the time, so I have to assume I am able to do it too.

I'm prone to a more mundane explanation -- a sort of Pascal's Wager -- that I suspect there are beings out there after all, even though I have no evidence, and so I talk to them "just in case." Of course the psychology of what is going on is obviously outside my understanding, and it may be nothing more than my pursuing my culture's custom and how I was brought up. The feeling of an externality out there hearing what I say is certainly present, much as I think it is probably something like my right brain talking to my left brain or vice-versa.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
you know -- my subconscious forms the words, my conscious self gets them and says them back to my subconscious.

Hmm. Good point. Made me chuckle a bit. Maybe a form of "talking to your Self"?

It has also occurred to me that maybe this sort of talking to myself in a semi-religious and somber context encourages being truthful with myself, but I see people lying to their gods and themselves all the time, so I have to assume I am able to do it too.

It may work if maybe you dont compare yourself with how others interact with their gods. One reason is they believe they are talking to real deities where maybe you are more talking out loud like free writing. Maybe it makes you feel little crazy?

The feeling of an externality out there hearing what I say is certainly present, much as I think it is probably something like my right brain talking to my left brain or vice-versa.

If its strong, Id say try not to focus on evidence. Its not really the point of prayer in any definition of the term. Then again you can be a humanistic theist. One who knows everything is based on the natual world-psychology of the mind--but finds benefit in "religious" actions. Probably explore outside your cultural norms.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member

Prayer to Set and Invocation of the Nine Neteru

O my Father, Set-Hen,
I have glimpsed the Emerald Eye of Leviathan and I have seen the great mysteries unseen by those without.
I have journeyed through the chasms of the Abyss and I have performed deeds in thy holy Name.
I praise thee O mighty and everlasting god and I thank thee for the Gift of the Black Flame.

O Majesty of Set,
I pray unto thee to give me the Ankh of creative inspiration as I seek to create works of glory to you and to me.
Hear me Father, Set, Prince of Darkness;
For thy strength and power I yearn,
My spirit hungers for thee,
My heart thirsts for thy knowledge and undefiled wisdom.
Look upon me,
O thou Highest of Life,
Akh of the Seven Stars,
And enshrine within me the essence of thy holy Sekhem.

By the glance of the Emerald Eye,
I beheld my soul ascending and the god in my heart was Khepera and I saw infinite space.
The god is my heart was Ma'at and I saw Beauty.
The god in my heart was Anubis and I saw worlds beyond time and spiritual black dimensions.
The god in my heart was Nyarlathotep and I saw the place to erect my temple.
The god in my heart was Shub-Niggurath and I saw how to create a world.
The god in my heart was Osiris and I saw how to sink within and gather strength.
The god in my heart was Set and I saw how to preserve the force of mind.
The god in my heart was Isis and I saw how to re-shape in accordance with all my secrets.
The god in my heart was Nepthys and I learned how to create time.

I look down upon the whole of the Earth and her secrets open to me.
Every spell and scourge is obedient to me!
I have equipped myself like Sutekh, Great-In-Strength,
Who passes now through the whole of the world.
Nothing shall prevail that works against me,
Nothing ceases that I put in motion.
I am become One with the Powers of Darkness.
I have cleaved the night and I am Reborn.
I Have Come Into Being as Set who mightily broke forth!

EverChanging

Virtually all my prayer contains a component of meditation. When I am praying in a verbal manner I am giving God a face, a shape, an image as it were -- and that image too is God. And the image I create is me. The All can be diced and sliced however one wishes to perceive it.

Even if a pantheist does not pray in a verbal manner that invokes associations of a personal God being that hears us and responds in a traditional theistic manner we still have our own beliefs and attitudes about the universe. These, too, are limited conceptions that cannot adequately encompass the All. And they, too, are God.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Do you pray? How do you refer to what and/or to whom you pray to? If you pray and have no focus-and it isnt meditation-how do you define/act in prayer?
- I do not pray because I am an atheist Hindu, but I am respectful to all characters in my mythology.
- My family, however, are theists. They pray to some 20 or 25 deities, but when they come across other deities (as you know we have hundreds, some are regional or village deities), then they have no hesitation in praying to them. Bhagwan or Devi (God or Goddess - Mata, Mother).
- Prayer - Puja is focused to one or more deities, invoking them (Shodashara Puja - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puja_(Hinduism)#Elaborate_p.C5.ABj.C4.81, sixteen steps), honoring them in various ways, offering them food (to be partaken as their happy blessing after completion of the ritual - prasada).
- Meditation is a different thing which can be undertaken by anyone, a theist or an atheist.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
- I do not pray because I am an atheist Hindu, but I am respectful to all characters found in my mythology.
- My family, however, are theists. They pray to some 20 or 25 deities, but when they come across other deities (as you know we have hundreds, some are regional or village deities), then they have no hesitation in praying to them. Bhagwan or Devi (God or Goddess - Mata, Mother).
- Prayer - Puja is focused to one or more deities, invoking them (Shodashara Puja - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puja_(Hinduism)#Elaborate_p.C5.ABj.C4.81, sixteen steps), honoring them in various ways, offering them food (to be partaken as their happy blessing after completion of the ritual - prasada).
- Meditation is a different thing which can be undertaken by anyone, a theist or an atheist.

Meditation as in reflective prayer (similar to Zazen) rather than controling ones breathe and relaxation. I know The Buddha had different methods of how we meditate but in America, I dont see that reflected in meditation practice schools. At least not the ones I practiced in compared to actually doing Zazen (for lack of a better phrase).

-

I also notice on RF, I have different definitions for words other people have. Like prayer doesnt have to be talking to a deity. Yet, many associate prayer with that. Dogma is not rules and regulations; but, people associate it with that. God isnt just defined by some One we worship. Yet, outside of RF, there seems to be less openminded understanding that religious terms arent fixed.

So, let me ask. What do you do as an atheist that would mirror the intent and devotion (misused word..um.. discipline, I guess) or emotional driven action of the religious?

If you didnt have the cultural and family custums that you follow, how would you express gratitude (not to anyone or anything) just in itself, for living?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Meditation as in reflective prayer (similar to Zazen) rather than controling ones breathe and relaxation. I know The Buddha had different methods of how we meditate but in America, I dont see that reflected in meditation practice schools. At least not the ones I practiced in compared to actually doing Zazen (for lack of a better phrase).
Like prayer doesnt have to be talking to a deity.
What do you do as an atheist that would mirror the intent and devotion (misused word..um.. discipline, I guess) ..
If you didnt have the cultural and family customs that you follow, how would you express gratitude ..
- What is sold in West is not always meditation. The Yogic exercises are not meditation. Meditation comes naturally to us. We have been, sort of, raised on it. I never needed a guru for my meditation - focused contemplation.
- What is prayer if not talking with the deity? Right from the time he/she is invited/honored/making requests if necessary/listening to the vibrations received back and finally thanking him for coming.
- Yeah, a misused word in my case. I follow the 'jnana marg' - path of knowledge rather than the two others in Hinduism - 'bhakti marg' (devotion) and 'karma marg' (service to people). So keeping abreast of what is happening in science is my way. :)
- I am inseparable from my culture and traditions and I am grateful to them. They make me what I am.

Last edited:

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
My prayer is to serve others. Why ask God to help others when he has put me here for just that reason? My actions speak so much louder than my words. The more I love, the more I am capable of love and the more I inspire people to love.

HeatherAnn

Pantheism is personal too. You are literally a part of god. Your deeds and actions are god. And so forth. So what good things you do or bad things gives others an example of who god is in you and in your actions. Thats why its personal.

However, I dont know if how you see it is pantheism. Youve define prayer..do you see prayer (or do) as asking god for help? Is it more communication?
Thanks for clarifying. I didn't think that Pantheism was so personal.
Yes, I do pray - and in my mind, I consider God as Heavenly Father and Mother (adapted from how I was taught as a child).
Yet, I acknowledge and respect that others see God in different ways and what matters most is resonating.
Buddha suggested similarly - to cherish the good things of the religion of your youth because that is how you'll tend to resonate best spiritually.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I suppose when I think words of thanks for animals or plants that gave their lives for my sustenance, that could be construed as prayer.

Also, I view god in everything, therefore my Self is a part of god, so I suppose my meditation can be construed as prayer. I also believe that when I read tarot, the answers come from my Self, so that begs the question: Do you consider tarot a form of prayer?

Lirille

It is my belief that there are spiritual entities out and about that could be asked for guidance, if one needs it. Personally, though, I don't have a habit of praying to external entities. When in difficult circunstances, I often find myself repeating 'may I see the best course of action' in my head again and again - I don't know if that could be considered prayer or not...

Kapalika

Premium Member
Japa, music or lost in the ecstasy of being in awe of the supreme.

Bhakti. Feeling overwhelmed by the incomprehensible of nature of the total nondual all that I identify as ultimately Shiva.

Chanting. Worshiping praising. Nothing beats the overwhelming feeling of reverence I feel for the divine which I can't contain in mere words yet try to express in mantra.

Reactions: Liu

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
Do you pray?

How do you refer to what and/or to whom you pray to?

If you pray and have no focus-and it isnt meditation-how do you define/act in prayer?
I just talk to the presence I feel within who I know to be God. I call him Jesus because I was a Christian for so long and it is a comfortable name to use. I just say whatever I feel like. Sometimes I rehearse the life struggles of myself or others and ask for stuff: physical, mental, spiritual, psychological. I even ask for miracles. I thank him a lot when I feel awe of the creation.

I don't struggle to try to pray correctly or anything like that. I'm just talking to my best friend, that's all.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
This is non-abrahamic question unless it is part of your belief.

Do you pray?

How do you refer to what and/or to whom you pray to?

If you pray and have no focus-and it isnt meditation-how do you define/act in prayer?

I must have missed this thread. :D

Yes, I pray. When I'm talking to myself I realize that I'm actually talking to God, praying. I do this very much when I'm driving. I don't pray very much in temple or at my shrine. I tend to babble then. I'm not really a pray-er, just a talker.

It's God, or a god or goddess. Usually it's God in the form of Krishna.

The aforementioned chit-chat with him. My answers usually come by talking it out. I do also chant mantras, slokas, stotrams (verses, hymns) in Sanskrit.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I must have missed this thread. :D

Yes, I pray. When I'm talking to myself I realize that I'm actually talking to God, praying. I do this very much when I'm driving. I don't pray very much in temple or at my shrine. I tend to babble then. I'm not really a pray-er, just a talker.

It's God, or a god or goddess. Usually it's God in the form of Krishna.

The aforementioned chit-chat with him. My answers usually come by talking it out. I do also chant mantras, slokas, stotrams (verses, hymns) in Sanskrit.

Gosh. I all but forgot this thread. When I create a thread, I don't get my first two replies for some reason. I also don't get my @Carlita so, don't know if that's a bug on RF or not. But I do get my alerts. Weird, huh?

I'm not a prayer myself either. Every time I do "traditional" prayer, I feel as if I'm submitting more so than worshiping. I started putting my sacred objects at head level and, since I'm a floor person, a lot of my art (which is my spirituality) I do on the floor. I'm thinking of drawing my prayers and make it more personal. That and I can look back and say "oh! by gosh, I did get that blessing the other day." How soon I forget.

Thank you for answering. :)

:herb:

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
Prayer and devotion are an aspect of my practice but I believe connecting/communicating with The All/God is not something that happens in the regular state of consciousness - it is something that is slowly but strongly focused. God/The All (being in everything) is something we are inherently connected to (as above, so below - after all) but the energy, force, fire (whatever you want to describe it as) of God/The All, in it's actuality is more esoteric and mysterious.