• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How To Win An Oscar For Best Picture

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It was an interesting premise which had potential, but it was produced in Canada. Harlan Ellison created it, but he didn't want his name on the finished product, so he changed it to "Cordwainer Bird."
I liked "A Boy & His Dog".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why should a film be "cramming" more in? (To compensate for the juvenile attention span I suspect).
The best series haver a broader landscape than any movie.
I immediately think of The Wire, Breaking Bad, & GOT.
They couldn't exist as a movie, or even a tri-triology
like Star Wars.
Yet movies can be great in their very time limited format,
eg, Gattaca, The Godfather, The Nightmare B4 Xmas.
The same is true for shorts, eg, Disorder In The Court.
But cramming happens. I prefer expanded director's cuts
of movies, eg, Terminator 2, Aliens, Dune. Things do get
edited down to suit the average movie going audience.
But I'm abnormal, wanting the background...the details.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Also this one:
EUGtuJZWAAIwfmf.jpg
Jadzia wasn't trans. She was always Jadzia, and she recieved the Dax symbiote, and the Trill symbiotes don't have a sex or gender themselves but learn it through their humanoid hosts and have both male and female hosts. As was the case with Dax. The closer example though was a conversation between Dr. Bashir and then-Captian Sisco, when Sisco stated he has no romantic interests in Jadzia because he knew Dax as the very masculine Curzon. Which could also be tied to how men typically view MtFs, but it's already a stretch to make Jadzia trans because she's not. She is a she, always a she, and died a she. Dax didn't change that even of the symbiote tranfered to her the memories of previous male (and female) hosts. At that point its basically like saying Jame Gumb/Buffalo Bill is a representation of trans people despite the fact hes based on real life serial killers including Ed Gien (who was also the inspiration for Norman Bates) (and perhaps not the entirely best example as both the movie and book explicitly state Gumb isn't trans).

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
The elitist would say that films and TV series are just to compensate for the juvenile attention spans of people who don't read books.

Personally, I would simply call them three different media, none inherently superior or inferior to the others. Regarding drama, I've pretty much given up on checking out films (in the last couple of years I think I've only been to the cinema twice, for The Irishman and Parasite), whereas there have been some really excellent ones on TV. As to books, I read non-fiction, so not much drama there :D

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I prefer expanded director's cuts,
eg, Terminator 2, Aliens, Dune. Things do get edited down
to suit the average movie going audience. I'm abnormal.
I do think they can over do it. Blade Runner over did it with the special editions, extended cut, directors cut, and so on.
Star Wars is the worst offender.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Real neurotypicals have chided me for such displays of friendship.
Their lives must be so dull.
I know. How haven't we broken the internet yet? Or be arrested by the internet police? Deep Green Corner, Deep Red Corner, surely we should hate each other over those things that are abit abstract for daily living stuff, those things separate us instead of enjoying the things we have in common!
But then again you are Scottish and I'm Irish, so it would just be weird and a violation of Cosmic Mandate and Law if we never had any deep disagreements.
Let's go bash some English instead! Ricky Gervais looks like he's usually up for some friendly rounds and bouts of insults. That privileged, spoiled Hampfordshire ****.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
TV series have risen to become strong competitors to movies.
It's a richer venue cuz movies have to cram so much into a
couple hours. A series can take its time to tell a story.
Treme
Dexter
The Wire
Deadwood
American Gods
Downton Abbey
Game Of Thrones
The Venture Brothers
Boardwalk Empire
Better Call Saul
Breaking Bad
Samurai Jack
Westworld
Chernobyl
Mr Robot
Legion
Fargo
I saw what you did there.
:rolleyes:
Tom

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Jadzia wasn't trans. She was always Jadzia, and she recieved the Dax symbiote, and the Trill symbiotes don't have a sex or gender themselves but learn it through their humanoid hosts and have both male and female hosts. As was the case with Dax. The closer example though was a conversation between Dr. Bashir and then-Captian Sisco, when Sisco stated he has no romantic interests in Jadzia because he knew Dax as the very masculine Curzon. Which could also be tied to how men typically view MtFs, but it's already a stretch to make Jadzia trans because she's not. She is a she, always a she, and died a she. Dax didn't change that even of the symbiote tranfered to her the memories of previous male (and female) hosts. At that point its basically like saying Jame Gumb/Buffalo Bill is a representation of trans people despite the fact hes based on real life serial killers including Ed Gien (who was also the inspiration for Norman Bates) (and perhaps not the entirely best example as both the movie and book explicitly state Gumb isn't trans).
I didn't say she was trans. But the trans community has often used this exchange as an allegory of trans acceptance. Correcting a dead name and the correction being met with easy acceptance and no change in enthusiasm.

The girl in the TNG outcast story wasn't trans either, (and wasn't about trans. Was about sexuality and gay conversion camps) strictly speaking. But we can see how it applies more broadly.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I do think they can over do it. Blade Runner over did it with the special editions, extended cut, directors cut, and so on.
It used to be a cast iron law of the cinema: sequels are invariably rubbish. (Godfather II being the exception that proves the rule :D )

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I didn't say she was trans. But the trans community has often used this exchange as an allegory of trans acceptance. Correcting a dead name and the correction being met with easy acceptance and no change in enthusiasm.

The girl in the TNG outcast story wasn't trans either, (and wasn't about trans. Was about sexuality and gay conversion camps) strictly speaking. But we can see how it applies more broadly.
The Trill resemble reincarnation more than they do transitioning. People aren't accepting someone who has transitioned gender, but rather accepting the new incarnation of an old friend.
And you calling the character "the girl" is accepting her as who she identifies and presents as, because her species isn't enforcing sexuality but gender. They are agender, amd the surgery is a "lobotomy of sorts" to force conformity upon those who transition to new social/gender roles and adopt their inner sense of self.
Saying its about sexuality, however, fits with a larger social trend of "gay washing" trans people out. Like the Stone Wall Riots. I've seen at least a few sources on it that fail to mention the presence of the "T," instead making it mostly about "G."

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It used to be a cast iron law of the cinema: sequels are invariably rubbish. (Godfather II being the exception that proves the rule :D )
Do the Godfather movies good? I tried to watch to get all the spoofs of it, but it just got to the point of do something else or fall tk sleep.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

I suppose another way to look at it is had Jadzia been a male character there would still be scenes of accepting the new Dax with the Klingons just as skeptical.
Riker's love interest happened because a member of an asexual species developed a female identity (she even has a coming out scene with Riker) (which is a typical heterosexual arrangement) , which would have fundamentally changed things--including how emotionally charged the ending was--had the character been male. But even still a male character fundamentally deviates from the norm of this species' society. It's something kept secret and openly shamed.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
TV series have risen to become strong competitors to movies.

I'd put the mini-series Good Omens up against any set of movies with sequels. The old model of movies are what you see in a theater is not true any longer.

Too often movies these days are formulaic and repetitious leaving creativity to online outlets.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's all a matter of personal taste.
The Irishman....I thought the theatrical release was too long.
If there's a longer director's cut, it'll be my punishment in Hell.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I know. How haven't we broken the internet yet? Or be arrested by the internet police? Deep Green Corner, Deep Red Corner, surely we should hate each other over those things that are abit abstract for daily living stuff, those things separate us instead of enjoying the things we have in common!
But then again you are Scottish and I'm Irish, so it would just be weird and a violation of Cosmic Mandate and Law if we never had any deep disagreements.
Let's go bash some English instead! Ricky Gervais looks like he's usually up for some friendly rounds and bouts of insults. That privileged, spoiled Hampfordshire ****.
Irish & Scots are natural enemies.
Like Englishmen & Scots.
And mathematicians & Scots.
And.....you know.