• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How To Win An Oscar For Best Picture

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Oscars: New Representation and Inclusion Standards for Best Picture - Variety
Excerpted....
The diversity and inclusion initiative has been a heavy focus for the Oscars the past few years, shown by the expansive membership initiative. As part of the Academy Aperture 2025 initiative, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced Tuesday new representation and inclusion standards in order to be eligible in the best picture category.

For the 94th and 95th Oscars ceremonies, scheduled for 2022 and 2023, a film will submit a confidential Academy Inclusion Standards form to be considered for best picture. Beginning in 2024, for the 96th Oscars, a film submitting for best picture will need to meet the inclusion thresholds by meeting two of the four standards.

All other Academy categories will keep their current eligibility requirements. For categories such as animated feature, documentary feature and international feature, that submit for best picture consideration, they will be addressed separately.

For a number of years, the Academy has struggled to nominate films that are diverse in its cast, directors, and technical craftspeople. In 2016, after they failed to nominate any person of color among their 20 acting nominees, Cheryl Boone Isaacs, who was Academy President at the time, took historic action by committing to doubling the number of women and diverse members by 2020, which they have achieved.

Academy President David Rubin and Academy CEO Dawn Hudson said in a joint statement, “The aperture must widen to reflect our diverse global population in both the creation of motion pictures and in the audiences who connect with them. The Academy is committed to playing a vital role in helping make this a reality.” They continued, “the Academy is committed to playing a vital role in helping make this a reality.”

The standards are as follows:

STANDARD A: ON-SCREEN REPRESENTATION, THEMES AND NARRATIVES
To achieve Standard A, the film must meet ONE of the following criteria:

A1. Lead or significant supporting actors

At least one of the lead actors or significant supporting actors is from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group.

• Asian
• Hispanic/Latinx
• Black/African American
• Indigenous/Native American/Alaskan Native
• Middle Eastern/North African
• Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander
• Other underrepresented race or ethnicity

A2. General ensemble cast

At least 30% of all actors in secondary and more minor roles are from at least two of the following underrepresented groups:

• Women
• Racial or ethnic group
• LGBTQ+
• People with cognitive or physical disabilities, or who are deaf or hard of hearing

A3. Main storyline/subject matter

The main storyline(s), theme or narrative of the film is centered on an underrepresented group(s).

• Women
• Racial or ethnic group
• LGBTQ+
• People with cognitive or physical disabilities, or who are deaf or hard of hearing

STANDARD B: CREATIVE LEADERSHIP AND PROJECT TEAM
To achieve Standard B, the film must meet ONE of the criteria below:
------
Back to me, the list continues with more detailed quantitative criteria.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If lacking talent is a "cognitive disability" then
I might have a future on the silver screen.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

Maybe, just maybe, they should focus on making films that aren't complete crap. Because, I'm not seeing any of this woke garbage anyway. But, people need reasons:

1) Themes that are over-represented on the screen. LGBTQ is 5% of the population, and unless the story is specifically about them they statistically shouldn't be there. By this logic, it makes more sense to include Jewish people in more films, because they're 8-9% of the population. If you were absolutely positively representing that population probably they should be 1 in 20 of the lead characters. I assure that's not the case at the moment. :D

2) I'm fine with PoC being in movies, but what I am not fine with is them being forced to be in a movie where it thematically makes no sense just for a chance of winning some Oscar.

3) Fact remains, the wokeness religion is still not appealing to the masses. Large populations of certain ethnic and racial groups dislike LGBT (African-Americans, and Hispanic Americans especially.)

I don't go to the movie to be told how to think or to be convinced to accept something or someone - I go for entertainment, and I am not entertained when people are telling me what to do or trying to brainwash me into acceptance. (My opinion of LGBT is simple: I don't give a damn. It doesn't affect me personally at all, lol.)

Last edited:

Tambourine

It would certainly be a change of pace from all the historical dramas about the plight of male actors in Hollywood.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Excerpted....
The diversity and inclusion initiative has been a heavy focus for the Oscars the past few years, shown by the expansive membership initiative. As part of the Academy Aperture 2025 initiative, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced Tuesday new representation and inclusion standards in order to be eligible in the best picture category.

For the 94th and 95th Oscars ceremonies, scheduled for 2022 and 2023, a film will submit a confidential Academy Inclusion Standards form to be considered for best picture. Beginning in 2024, for the 96th Oscars, a film submitting for best picture will need to meet the inclusion thresholds by meeting two of the four standards.

All other Academy categories will keep their current eligibility requirements. For categories such as animated feature, documentary feature and international feature, that submit for best picture consideration, they will be addressed separately.

For a number of years, the Academy has struggled to nominate films that are diverse in its cast, directors, and technical craftspeople. In 2016, after they failed to nominate any person of color among their 20 acting nominees, Cheryl Boone Isaacs, who was Academy President at the time, took historic action by committing to doubling the number of women and diverse members by 2020, which they have achieved.

Academy President David Rubin and Academy CEO Dawn Hudson said in a joint statement, “The aperture must widen to reflect our diverse global population in both the creation of motion pictures and in the audiences who connect with them. The Academy is committed to playing a vital role in helping make this a reality.” They continued, “the Academy is committed to playing a vital role in helping make this a reality.”

At least one of the lead actors or significant supporting actors is from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group.

• Asian
• Hispanic/Latinx
• Black/African American

At least 30% of all actors in secondary and more minor roles are from at least two of the following underrepresented groups:

• Women
• Racial or ethnic group
• LGBTQ+

The main storyline(s), theme or narrative of the film is centered on an underrepresented group(s).

• Women
• Racial or ethnic group
• LGBTQ+

------

I always thought the Oscars were more important to actors, directors, producers etc... than the folks who actually watch the movies. Basically an industry award. Usually by the time something/one wins an Oscar I've already seen the movie or I probably won't

They want to increase the diversity in who receives this award. Ok. :shrug: I think this has more to do with how much money an actor or director can ask for than the quality of the movie.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Excerpted....

• Asian
• Hispanic/Latinx
• Black/African American

• Women
• Racial or ethnic group
• LGBTQ+

• Women
• Racial or ethnic group
• LGBTQ+

------
Funny.
South Park has done all that without LLL pressure to do so. You'll never see them nominated for such an award. Despite it being something they do and have done without needing encouragement.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Excerpted....

• Asian
• Hispanic/Latinx
• Black/African American

• Women
• Racial or ethnic group
• LGBTQ+

• Women
• Racial or ethnic group
• LGBTQ+

------
So much for actual ability and talent. It should henceforth be known as Oscar's Inclusive Participant Awards.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Maybe, just maybe, they should focus on making films that aren't complete crap. Because, I'm not seeing any of this woke garbage anyway. But, people need reasons:

1) Themes that are over-represented on the screen. LGBTQ is 5% of the population, and unless the story is specifically about them they statistically shouldn't be there. By this logic, it makes more sense to include Jewish people in more films, because they're 8-9% of the population. If you were absolutely positively representing that population probably they should be 1 in 20 of the lead characters. I assure that's not the case at the moment. :D

2) I'm fine with PoC being in movies, but what I am not fine with is them being forced to be in a movie where it thematically makes no sense just for a chance of winning some Oscar.

3) Fact remains, the wokeness religion is still not appealing to the masses. Large populations of certain ethnic and racial groups dislike LGBT (African-Americans, and Hispanic Americans especially.)

I don't go to the movie to be told how to think or to be convinced to accept something or someone - I go for entertainment, and I am not entertained when people are telling me what to do or trying to brainwash me into acceptance. (My opinion of LGBT is simple: I don't give a damn. It doesn't affect me personally at all, lol.)
Aye, it has potential to increase errors in casting.
It reminds me of the movie, Black Panther.
Martin Freeman's role appeared to be nothing but...
"OK, how can we put in a white guy somewhere."
Superfluous.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I always thought the Oscars were more important to actors, directors, producers etc... than the folks who actually watch the movies. Basically an industry award. Usually by the time something/one wins an Oscar I've already seen the movie or I probably won't

They want to increase the diversity in who receives this award. Ok. :shrug: I think this has more to do with how much money an actor or director can ask for than the quality of the movie.
Unless Ricky Gervais is hosting, I find those awards tedious
& annoying. But if RG is hosting, they're tedious & annoying
to the actors, but great sport to me.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Excerpted....

• Asian
• Hispanic/Latinx
• Black/African American

• Women
• Racial or ethnic group
• LGBTQ+

• Women
• Racial or ethnic group
• LGBTQ+

------
I'm afraid I have to say that, on this topic, I'm a firm believer in "let the market decide." Make whatever movie you want -- and if nobody goes, eat the loss.

And by the way, all those markets could, if they tried, have an impact. Any underrepresented group who doesn't get anything about them could, if they felt like it, stay home and read -- and then head out in whatever size "droves" when something comes along that does speak to them. And those who fund film-making would respond appropriately, I think.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Funny.
South Park has done all that without LLL pressure to do so. You'll never see them nominated for such an award. Despite it being something they do and have done without needing encouragement.
I'm hoping for seasons of great movies, but with
the awards going to a moralizing politically correct
rainbow coalition of coprolites.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Aye, it has potential to increase errors in casting.
It reminds me of the movie, Black Panther.
Martin Freeman's role appeared to be nothing but...
"OK, how can we put in a white guy somewhere."
Superfluous.

I rather that our criteria for actors and actresses simply be who does it best - that's what I pay for, lol.

As far as I am concerned, that ended in the 90s -- films are in a serious slump, and the mediocre films even from that time are better than the best ones out there now.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Unless Ricky Gervais is hosting, I find those awards tedious
& annoying. But if RG is hosting, they're tedious & annoying
to the actors, but great sport to me.

Admittedly, it was worth watching the GG highlights with RG but it's doubtful there will be anyone hosting the Oscars...

OK, what's the real reason there's no host?
Putting the idea of ratings aside, finding a host for big awards shows has become increasingly difficult.

The job has been described as a "poisoned chalice" — "the gig that no-one should want".

No matter the approach, hosts are often met with criticism for being either too harsh, too political or too soft in their jokes.

.Ricky Gervais reacts to news the 2020 Oscars will go without a host

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm hoping for seasons of great movies, but with
the awards going to a moralizing politically correct
rainbow coalition of coprolites.
Im looking forward to Ricky Gervais and South Park to continue to be grand sources of modern morality (along with George Carlin), with Snow White Libs and Bleached White Cons foaming at the mouth over them.