• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How To Handle A Traffic Stop

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Oh dear.
Anybody who supports policing is bad?
Paranoid or what?
So you think it's either support them totally or not at all?
I see it very differently.
We need police, but only those who know the law,
& behave within it. (We've a massive problem with
their not even knowing what the laws are.)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I can't quite visualise all that.
Any chance of a pic?
:D

They are suggesting that in America you'd have been horse whipped and had all your money nicked.
If she had too much cash, it would likely have been taken.
But cops here don't horsewhip people (despite some false
claims about border patrol). They shoot, taze, punch, knee,
suffocate, slam, & arrest people.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I believe it over your unsupported claims.

You'll call your buddy, who might very well be part of
the problem to verify that he & his cop buddies are
all saints & experts at their job.
You just keep tripping yourself up.
I've already written that he doesn't train police dogs, only prison, drugs, explosives, etc.....

That just shows how little you have read up on working dogs.

Sniffer dogs are worked to find drugs in nightclub queues, explosives dogs check public venues out privately, etc etc.
I did call my mate but he's working.....will call me later

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You just keep tripping yourself up.
I've already written that he doesn't train police dogs, only prison, drugs, explosives, etc.....

That just shows how little you have read up on working dogs.

Sniffer dogs are worked to find drugs in nightclub queues, explosives dogs check public venues out privately, etc etc.
I did call my mate but he's working.....will call me later
I can hear it now....

"Are you an expert on the statistics related to false
positives & false negatives of K9 searches roadside?"

"Yes, I am."

"Are these searches reliable?"

"Yes."

"How do you know?"

"I've thoroughly investigated myself, & found that
I'm eminently qualified as an expert in the field."
"So ignore any & all research by those anti-police
civil libertarians, researchers, & journalists.
They're just criminals & malcontents....all out to
help law breakers evade prosecution, & to make
us look bad."
"We do God's work. Trust us."

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I can't quite visualise all that.
Any chance of a pic?
:D

They are suggesting that in America you'd have been horse whipped and had all your money nicked.

Similar pic on Eros.

Yes I've followed the some of the thread, i had no problems with the little driving in the US so can't comment on it

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Similar pic on Eros.

Yes I've followed the some of the thread, i had no problems with the little driving in the US so can't comment on it
Wot? You had a bow 'n' arrers in the motor? And he didn't even ask?

Now if that had been me..... toast.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I can hear it now....

"Are you an expert on the statistics related to false
positives & false negatives of K9 searches roadside?"

"Yes, I am."

"Are these searches reliable?"

"Yes."

"How do you know?"

"I've thoroughly investigated myself, & found that
I'm eminently qualified as an expert in the field."
"So ignore any & all research by those anti-police
civil libertarians, researchers, & journalists.
They're just criminals & malcontents....all out to
help law breakers evade prosecution, & to make
us look bad."
"We do God's work. Trust us."
You're an expert on waffle, methinks.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You're an expert on waffle, methinks.
So far, I've offered many links to evidence, cases, studies.
You've offered the existence of a buddy who's supposed
to be an expert...but hasn't actually told us anything.
Oh, and you're a rent-a-cop trainer. Not impressive.

Now, this has been fun. But setting aside the
playful insults, can you address the picture I've
painted of civil forfeiture abuse?

Suave

Simulated character
That's not a joke here....... I forget the names now, but an American based at a USAF base in Lincolnshire drove on the wrong side of the road and killed a young motorcyclist, subsequently fleeing back to the States to claim diplomatic immunity. When President Biden took power (The Trump org did nothing) the British family were compensated but I don't think that the US driver got touched.

Sorry, I didn't realize somebody was killed there due to wrong-side road driving by a foreigner. Perhaps we can agree the Royal Air Force is most superb and requires no U.S. military assistance.

Suave

Simulated character
Hello Suave.... :)

And what an idiot that driver was!

Total idiot.... Wasting police time, refusing to show his licence and insurance details, refusing to leave a vehicle that the police were definitely going to seize if the driver could not prove he was insured.
I hope that driver had a free day because otherwise he was going to miss a few appointments.

If the National IT register shows that a car is not tested, taxed or insured.... if a Constable can see that a vehicle might not be roadworthy...... if a Constable sees a vehicle being driven erratically, dangerously or incorrectly......... if the National IT system flags up an offending vehicle etc etc etc..... then the police may stop it.

I'd love to know what happened to that driver and any convictions he received after that day.
I thought the driver acted pretty much, as I would have if I were pulled over without probable cause. However, I am just guessing a motorist there would be within his legal rights to get a prompt reply from the police regarding the motorist's inquiry regarding the reason for his detainment. Perhaps, I'd be wrong to presume the U.K. police there would require probable cause in order to lawfully detain somebody.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sorry, I didn't realize somebody was killed there due to wrong-side road driving by a foreigner. Perhaps we can agree the Royal Air Force is most superb and requires no U.S. military assistance.
It's bound to happen.
I'd never drive in such a country.
I'd have all the wrong reflexes.

Suave

Simulated character
It's bound to happen.
I'd never drive in such a country.
I'd have all the wrong reflexes.
I've driven on the autobahn in Bavaria, where there's a 130 km/hr. ( 80 mph ) speed limit, that'd be the worst place for a wrong reflex. ,,,,:D

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
So far, I've offered many links to evidence, cases, studies.
You've offered the existence of a buddy who's supposed
to be an expert...but hasn't actually told us anything.

1. Of us, only you use that word, 'expert'......... and they don't exist, although you might wish you could be one, I guess.
2. Unfortunately for you I do know a very experienced dog trainer and so far you've shown that you have absolutely no idea about the subject.
3. He has trained and worked sniffer dogs for special duties and I can tell you that all your claims so far are rubbish.

If your police dogs fall below the standards that can be achieved then it's down to either selection, training, field training, environment of operative faults. To pretend that they cannot function well simply shows that you have no knowledge of the subject.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I think we need our allies Suave, but when anybody gets to body-swerve from the law then the situation is dodgy.

Update: It's strange how things can happen, but after months of 'no news' there was a news report yesterday evening that the US driver is being sent back to the UK for trial after all.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I thought the driver acted pretty much, as I would have if I were pulled over without probable cause.
You and I don't know why that driver was pulled over, but it sure wasn't for a routine check of any kind. Sadly we never did discover exactly why he was stopped, nor how the situation ended up.

However, I am just guessing a motorist there would be within his legal rights to get a prompt reply from the police regarding the motorist's inquiry regarding the reason for his detainment. Perhaps, I'd be wrong to presume the U.K. police there would require probable cause in order to lawfully detain somebody.
Detaining is not the same as arresting (in the UK).
Where a driver will not open their window to talk with police then that's a very worrying situation for them.......
In fact, every single thing that driver did was similar to self-harm! :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That might be true where you are, but my friend trains dogs for various duties, explosives, drugs, money detection specialities and general security, prison duties. He doesn't do general police dogs.

But you are way off if you think sniffer dogs get it badly wrong.
I remembered this case...
A man moving his belongings in a rented U-Haul truck
was stopped when he missed his exit. The cop called
in the K9 to search for drugs. His handler said the dog
alerted over 10 times Cops searched it for an hour, even
going so far as dismantling emergency triangles to examine
the sand ballast, which they suspected to be drugs.
They found nothing, despite the K9 alerting over 10 times.
In this case the dog was far worse than flipping a coin.

It seems you're way off in your praise of dogs & handlers.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I remembered this case...
A man moving his belongings in a rented U-Haul truck
was stopped when he missed his exit. The cop called
in the K9 to search for drugs. His handler said the dog
alerted over 10 times Cops searched it for an hour, even
going so far as dismantling emergency triangles to examine
the sand ballast, which they suspected to be drugs.
They found nothing, despite the K9 alerting over 10 times.
In this case the dog was far worse than flipping a coin.

It seems you're way off in your praise of dogs & handlers.

I wasn't praising any US sniffer dogs, I was praising the prison, nightclub and commercial-need dogs that my friend trains.

Trying to rubbish all sniffer dogs is a bit like trying to rubbish medical assistance, guide, hearing, partnership and medical alert dogs........... it's either daft, cynical or prejudiced imo.

A working dog is as good as its trainer and owner.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
First, I'll say that this belongs in this forum because it's
about preserving one's health....& money.
This guy gives sage advice about how to reduce
the odds of getting a ticket....or possibly worse.
I'd summarize it but there are too many nuances.

Be safe out there, people....even those of you I loathe.

The guy is a muppet!

At the point where he told us ........'I wanted to get home, I was only doing 55 ......... when pulled I let the car slow down...... never touch your brakes!'
So the guy was speeding...... probably at the 71mph he was accused of.

The guy must still be making his knives from flint, because today (in the UK) if you are speeding, uninsured, untaxed, without a road test certificate (whatever) then you are not going to get clear from a police stop by being a clever d*ck, the cleverest way to avoid tickets and driving offence convictions is to drive within the highway code of your country.

The thing is, police use dash-cams on their vehicles with on-screen details of speed, time etc.
The thing is, Police have hand-held speed test meters which can be accurate at hundreds of yards range.
The thing is, roadside speed cams are coming back (in the UK) due to vehicle speeds rising above restrictions.
The thing is, ANPR cams are out there, all over, and if your vehicle drives thru one without insurance, tax or MOT then the authorities will know.

Legal drivers don't mind all this high technology being around, but the lawless hate it, clone cars, try to make off after being flagged, and use 'crime' vehicles for just that....crimes.

When and if you are stopped by police you don't have to speak to them, but if you were breaking traffic law then to be reasonable in the way that you respond to a cop can often just get you a warning, or a ticket for a lower speed (UK) .....if you were driving faster than 20mph over the limit of that road you can lose your licence, so if that is what you were doing it's best to be polite and reasonable....the constable might report you for speeding just below that limit.

Don't listen to idiots who tell you to be a jerk to cops.......... not a good idea.