• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to find the truth (in Christianity)

Timothy Bryce

That's nice... :rolleyes:

Mind you, I've known plenty of people who fit that description; "Catholic, I 'spose," types who have no mind otherwise for practising their religion and live rich, fulfilling lives built upon personal constitutions that are completely removed and sometimes completely contrary to Catholicism. Worthy talking point I would say.

David1967

Premium Member
I guess I should have added this: "So, look for a religion that has a united, global, loving brotherhood, that tries to live by Jesus' commands and avoid divisive, worldly barriers."

Do you think a religion like that exists?

Theoretically groups like this exist. But not in reality. Unfortunately.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Theoretically groups like this exist. But not in reality. Unfortunately.

Well, we are all imperfect, we all 'miss the mark'; this is why we need God's spirit....we still do things wrong, but His spirit is a unifier. And, the most powerful force in the universe!

Of course, it matters which God you worship. There is One called "the only True God" by Jesus himself....Jesus' Father. (John 17:3; John 4:23-24) Worship Him the way He approves (i.e., through Jesus), and that group -- as a whole -- will be given His spirit and blessings. I underline, 'as a whole', because certain individuals may not, as it was with the nation of Israel.

BTW, who did Israel worship, through their sacrifices? The same One who Jesus worshipped, Yahweh (Jehovah in English). (John 20:17) The God of the Bible.

Now, who today worship Jehovah, through faith in Jesus?

David1967

Premium Member
Well, we are all imperfect, we all 'miss the mark'; this is why we need God's spirit....we still do things wrong, but His spirit is a unifier. And, the most powerful force in the universe!

Of course, it matters which God you worship. There is One called "the only True God" by Jesus himself....Jesus' Father. (John 17:3; John 4:23-24) Worship Him the way He approves (i.e., through Jesus), and that group -- as a whole -- will be given His spirit and blessings. I underline, 'as a whole', because certain individuals may not, as it was with the nation of Israel.

BTW, who did Israel worship, through their sacrifices? The same One who Jesus worshipped, Yahweh (Jehovah in English). (John 20:17) The God of the Bible.

Now, who today worship Jehovah, through faith in Jesus?

That was really my point. We as people have a talent for missing the mark. Is there a particular denomination or group of believers that you think are closer to the truth than others?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
That was really my point. We as people have a talent for missing the mark. Is there a particular denomination or group of believers that you think are closer to the truth than others?
"Have a talent", that's a good way to put! Yes, we are inclined to mess up. Being imperfect.
(But Adam was perfect. So he must have been inclined to obey his Maker, and do what is right. Hence, the stiff punishment!)

Back to your question.
John 15:19, New Living Translation, says "The world would love you as one of its own if you belonged to it, but you are no longer part of the world. I chose you to come out of the world, so it hates you."

I'm sure you would agree, wars are "part of the world." Professed Christian religions cannot join in the world's wars, and still say they are "no longer part of the world." Certainly, being neutral incurs the hatred of the world, as Jesus said it would. But listening to / obedience to Jesus and Jehovah brings their blessing and protection....that's what we want, right?

Look at the strong words of the Apostle John, at 1 John 3:10-15. If any religious organizations, in times of war, support their respective countries over their spiritual brotherhood, putting nationalism above the lives of their foreign-born brothers, who are they really following?

I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses....and Isaiah 2:2-4 is being fulfilled among Jehovah's people today! (Remember, "LORD" there is where "Yahweh" is supposed to be, the 'worship of the God of Jacob'; it promotes peace in these Last Days.)

Take care.

David1967

Premium Member
"Have a talent", that's a good way to put! Yes, we are inclined to mess up. Being imperfect.
(But Adam was perfect. So he must have been inclined to obey his Maker, and do what is right. Hence, the stiff punishment!)

Back to your question.
John 15:19, New Living Translation, says "The world would love you as one of its own if you belonged to it, but you are no longer part of the world. I chose you to come out of the world, so it hates you."

I'm sure you would agree, wars are "part of the world." Professed Christian religions cannot join in the world's wars, and still say they are "no longer part of the world." Certainly, being neutral incurs the hatred of the world, as Jesus said it would. But listening to / obedience to Jesus and Jehovah brings their blessing and protection....that's what we want, right?

Look at the strong words of the Apostle John, at 1 John 3:10-15. If any religious organizations, in times of war, support their respective countries over their spiritual brotherhood, putting nationalism above the lives of their foreign-born brothers, who are they really following?

I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses....and Isaiah 2:2-4 is being fulfilled among Jehovah's people today! (Remember, "LORD" there is where "Yahweh" is supposed to be, the 'worship of the God of Jacob'; it promotes peace in these Last Days.)

Take care.

Thank you for your thoughtful answer. I am not a JW, but totally agree with you that followers of Christ should not take up arms against each other. Unfortunately as history shows it often times happens. A good friend of mine is a JW elder and we have had many good discussions over the years. We both agree and disagree with each other on various points respectfully and remain good friends. I enjoy such discussions. Good thread by the way.
Have a great day.:)

David1967

Premium Member
Hey, Carlita! Hope you had a good nights sleep.

Actually, I only worship his Father. This is Who Jesus worshipped, and Who the Jews worshipped (John 20:17), YHWH, also known as Yahweh in Hebrew, Jehová in Spanish, Jehovah in English. This is the One who "sent His son," Jesus, to the Earth as a ransom. -- John 3:16; compare John 17:3; also, Matthew 20:28. (I totally believe the Bible, as I feel that its original manuscripts are the only inspired writings from God.)

Take care!

Is the way that JW's view Jesus much different than the way Islam views Him? If I remember correctly they regard Jesus very highly yet dont put Him as an equal with God to be worshipped.And do correct me if I'm wrong.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Is the way that JW's view Jesus much different than the way Islam views Him? If I remember correctly they regard Jesus very highly yet dont put Him as an equal with God to be worshipped.And do correct me if I'm wrong.
Oh, no! Jesus was definitely the Son of God! The Bible refers to angels as "sons of God" also (Job 38:7), so is Adam, but Jesus is described as God's "Firstborn". (Colossians 1:15,16) Jesus referred to himself in Revelation 3:14 as, "the beginning of the creation by God."

I would think you'd know this, having discussions with that brother, wouldn't you? I'm almost positive such an important subject would come up.

I don't mean to cast aspersions on your statement. I could be wrong, lol!

Take care.

David1967

Premium Member
Oh, no! Jesus was definitely the Son of God! The Bible refers to angels as "sons of God" also (Job 38:7), so is Adam, but Jesus is described as God's "Firstborn". (Colossians 1:15,16) Jesus referred to himself in Revelation 3:14 as, "the beginning of the creation by God."

I would think you'd know this, having discussions with that brother, wouldn't you? I'm almost positive such an important subject would come up.

I don't mean to cast aspersions on your statement. I could be wrong, lol!

Take care.

Oh yes it did. I was just referring to the part about worship. My friend never said anything about not worshipping Jesus. But I never asked him about that. I want to discuss this further with you. But I'm at work now. Later tomorrow.

Milton Platt

I guess I should have added this: "So, look for a religion that has a united, global, loving brotherhood, that tries to live by Jesus' commands and avoid divisive, worldly barriers."

Do you think a religion like that exists?

Have never seen one yet. Have seen many who say they do. You are presupposing that Christianity is in fact true. You need to actually start with what is known and work from there. That means starting with a clean slate.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Have never seen one yet. Have seen many who say they do. You are presupposing that Christianity is in fact true. You need to actually start with what is known and work from there. That means starting with a clean slate.
yes, I am emphatically presupposing that. For many varied reasons, i.e., lines of evidence! Not the least of which is the fact that, of all the main religions on this planet, its the one that is vastly more "fractured up" (with thousands of sects) than any other; which fits my understanding, and my theology. That may sound crazy, I know. I can explain later.

Last edited: