• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to convert a Hindu

Tat though I may not agree with everything you say( to say the abrahmic religions are a cancer that needs to eradicated is no better then what they say and do to the indian hindus) I agree that assisting the Indian Hindus stay Hindu is quit a good idea. I was actually thinking what if we (non Indian Hindus) help those in India survive. Many missionaries use "charity" as a means to convert them over. This has been done in the past "here native Americans take these blankets" SMALL POX! This time its "here are these hospitals and food, now come to Jesus or we may take it away." Okay let's get back on track, what if we here in this forum tried to start a charity type thing. Just a thought.

The task at hand seems insurmountable. Yet, we have to do our part as it does make a difference in the long run.

Instead of charity, I would propose reading and discussion; among your family, friends, and inner/outer circle of people. If you take Yoga classes, talk to the people there and make sure they understand that Yoga is inseparable from Hinduism (it is the 4th DarSanA of Hinduism). Yoga being digested under a 'secular exercise' is anti-Hinduism at work. If we do our parts to discuss with those who practice/teach it, we can make a difference.

Perhaps giving to Hindu charities or ashrams.. Like Arsha Vidya by Dayanand Saraswati (he's a brilliant swami who is well aware of this conversion business). Baba Ramdev has a great opportunity to educate the masses about Hindu Dharma (~ 100M people watch his Yoga series on TV in India).

I also think it would be great if non-native Hindus talk to these pseudo-secular nitwits (Indian so-called "Hindus"). They sideline any Indian Hindu as "right-wing" and "Hindutva" and they are servile to the west. If people like Vinayaka and others can talk to these muppets and tell them how stupid they are, perhaps they will think about their positions on certain issues.

The tribals (who are prime targets for missionaries) are awfully superstitious and gullible. Even many non-tribal Hindus are very naive and believe things without any discretion (viveka). Just last week, there was an incident in Tamil Nadu of people in a particular village (Naamakkal) where ~ 50 people held a marriage ceremony for two DONKEYS!! And that was so that it would bring rain! :facepalm:

India needs a good spring cleaning - a catharsis to rid itself of disunity and apathy towards its own heritage and culture.

Kalidas

Sorry tat if I don't know much of situation I myself am a fairly new convert leaving my Christian faith I was raised with ( these issues we speak of are a BIG part of it). Yet I will look more into it as I begin to study more about my new faith. It would be so horrible to such a nation with such a beautiful culture die. And be replaced with capitalism and hatred ( look what happened to the native Americas). Not to say all Christians are bad or even Muslims ( I have met some great Muslims) but I am in America where we are all generally free to believe what we want (more or less) and conversion is of our own accord. Even the poorest here need not worry of food. Its hard to hold onto our faith in the face of such hardships ( I know this personally) so my experience with Christians and Muslims is far better then is in India obviously.

Kalidas

Question: what is wrong with India being secular? Honestly I don't believe religion should do the work of government. I believe in religious freedom.

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Question: what is wrong with India being secular? Honestly I don't believe religion should do the work of government. I believe in religious freedom.
Because they are not secular, they are pseudo secular. They are anti Hindu and support every cause that is against Hindusim to gain votes of Muslims and Christians. They opens shops to murder cow and soo sad that India today is one of largest exporter of beef, today riots are common in muslim majority areas b/w Hindu and muslims but our secular gov only takes action against Hindus. 70% of donation received by Hindu temples goes to govt and this money is than given to churches and muslim madharsas. Some states of India offers financial helps to poor muslim girls but no such scheme for Hindu or Sikh girls. Govt pays a large amount of money as subsidy to muslim when they visit mecca but they charge taxes from hindus when they visit their holy places. Even our Prime minister says that muslims have first right over India than any other. Indian gov is also trying to pass two laws acc to first hindus cannot perform their religious rituals as all this will be categorized as superstition, and acc to second "in case of any riot only majority (hindus ) will be responsible, one cannot even complain against muslim extremists. So this is not secularism but pseudo secularism.

Kalidas

Because they are not secular, they are pseudo secular. They are anti Hindu and support every cause that is against Hindusim to gain votes of Muslims and Christians. They opens shops to murder cow and soo sad that India today is one of largest exporter of beef, today riots are common in muslim majority areas b/w Hindu and muslims but our secular gov only takes action against Hindus. 70% of donation received by Hindu temples goes to govt and this money is than given to churches and muslim madharsas. Some states of India offers financial helps to poor muslim girls but no such scheme for Hindu or Sikh girls. Govt pays a large amount of money as subsidy to muslim when they visit mecca but they charge taxes from hindus when they visit their holy places. Even our Prime minister says that muslims have first right over India than any other. Indian gov is also trying to pass two laws acc to first hindus cannot perform their religious rituals as all this will be categorized as superstition, and acc to second "in case of any riot only majority (hindus ) will be responsible, one cannot even complain against muslim extremists. So this is not secularism but pseudo secularism.

I honestly began to cry a little when I read that. But I see its not your anti secular its that thy are only pretending to be secular (probably to keep the UN off their backs) but in all honesty they are not an are trying to make being a Hindu in India nearly illegal( enough so that they get no support and are even taxed *cough FINED cough* when antering religious places. Wow this this is just sad.

Kalidas

The task at hand seems insurmountable. Yet, we have to do our part as it does make a difference in the long run.

Instead of charity, I would propose reading and discussion; among your family, friends, and inner/outer circle of people. If you take Yoga classes, talk to the people there and make sure they understand that Yoga is inseparable from Hinduism (it is the 4th DarSanA of Hinduism). Yoga being digested under a 'secular exercise' is anti-Hinduism at work. If we do our parts to discuss with those who practice/teach it, we can make a difference.

Perhaps giving to Hindu charities or ashrams.. Like Arsha Vidya by Dayanand Saraswati (he's a brilliant swami who is well aware of this conversion business). Baba Ramdev has a great opportunity to educate the masses about Hindu Dharma (~ 100M people watch his Yoga series on TV in India).

I also think it would be great if non-native Hindus talk to these pseudo-secular nitwits (Indian so-called "Hindus"). They sideline any Indian Hindu as "right-wing" and "Hindutva" and they are servile to the west. If people like Vinayaka and others can talk to these muppets and tell them how stupid they are, perhaps they will think about their positions on certain issues.

The tribals (who are prime targets for missionaries) are awfully superstitious and gullible. Even many non-tribal Hindus are very naive and believe things without any discretion (viveka). Just last week, there was an incident in Tamil Nadu of people in a particular village (Naamakkal) where ~ 50 people held a marriage ceremony for two DONKEYS!! And that was so that it would bring rain! :facepalm:

India needs a good spring cleaning - a catharsis to rid itself of disunity and apathy towards its own heritage and culture.
I will do my best to tell people the truth. The problem with America is we are lied to daily by our media (I choose to not watch any American media). Our "news" companies just vomit out what their political overlords tell them to. We have one station called Fox news. They are a bunch of hyper conservative liars (a recent study found viewers of said station are the MOST ignorant of worldly and even domestic facts) yet they are THE number one station.

Well basicly the only thing we ever see doing with these Indian issues are about "Hindu extremist terrorists attacking Christians" which apparently sounds like more lies.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram tatvamasi :namaste

*I haven't logged on to this forum in years. I read some thread sporadically and this one hits close to home and is very pertinent to my recent research and study.

please elaborate a little further as to the nature of your work or study

I have seen too many people, of all walks of life, peddle this 'all is same' nonsense that it literally gives me a migraine each time I hear that (especially so by daft Indian Hindus).

people will say and belive all manner of things , but if in an in attempts to promote peace amongst men they practice religious tollerance by beliving that all paths are equaly valid , this is hardly ''noncence'' , it is a persons veiw , or even dare I say it their realisation ,
please prabhu do not give your self a migraine , please stay calm and concidder that if you want people to listen to your point of veiw you would be best to refrain from calling them ''daft''.
This conversion business, both Christian and Muslim, is a mega problem around the world and especially so in India where the people are utterly disunited, apathetic, and quite frankly, afraid of their past (history).

yes for those of us who love our traditions it is very sad to see so many converting to christianity or islam , if this is the case then we as hindus must take an equal share of the blame , what are we not doing for our own people that is causing them to desert their own indiginous faith ?

I have one suggestion for those that claim to care so much for the continuation of their traditions , become a learned and gentle kind hearted person and go out and teach it your self .

The Abrahamic ideologies are akin to cancer. There is no "negotiation" with them. Either the cancer destroys the host, or the cancer cells are removed once and for all. History is a great example; wherever Christianity and Islam have set foot, they have destroyed, looted, and converted the people from their native ways of life.

this kind of bitterness is hardly becoming of anyone who professes to have any spiritual understanding , if you wish to criticise christians for their insencitivity and pig headedness then please look carefully at your own attitude .

it is in truth such bitterness that destroys cultures like a cancer .

Imagine, at one time, present-day Pakistan is where the Sindhu Saraswathi river flowed in all its glory. On the banks of that river were the greatest sages this planet has seen who have been able to tap into the nature of reality and pass down their experiences from one generation to the next. Look at that location today! We Hindus cannot even go to the banks of that river to pay homage!

These two Abrahamic ideologies have destroyed the local culture, religions, and peoples and stripped them of their identities. It is happening in front of our own eyes in India.

yes we are weak , but we do not grow strong through anger , if we do so we become as ignorant as those we criticise .

There are two important things to consider here.

1.) India and Hinduism are inseparable.
To have Hinduism thrive, India needs to thrive. Its ashrams, temples, sthalams, kshetras, etc. are fundamental to the Hindu ethos. Therefore, it is imperative that India has a pro-Hindu government. I personally feel India should be declared a Hindu nation. Hinduism is truly secular (accommodating people of all stripes and predispositions as "Hindu" is ample proof that it's indeed secular). India should be a place where Hindus around the world can call "home", much like Israel is the "home" of the Jews.

and for india to thrive it needs to practice sanatana dharma , that is every politician and every man woman and child on the street .

2.) Non-native Hindus must support Hindu causes that are not necessarily religious. This may include politics. It may include civil discourse, etc. Indian/Hindu society is not compartmentalized. Hinduism is the essence of existence for Hindus; it pervades every aspect of life from childhood to death.

not just in india , we need to support human causes world wide and ensure that any elected politician or representative does his duty and governs justly .

India is at the tipping point now.

agreed it is in a mess not just politicaly but moraly also
Take a look at this video about this term "Internet Hindus": The Stream - "Internet Hindus" Caught in Online Frays - YouTube

I will give this and your other recomendations a read later as I agree with many things you are saying but not how you are saying them .

Anyway, my opinion on this is that there will be a time, not too distant in the future, that Hindus in India will have to physically FIGHT the Muslims/Christians and other anti-Hindus (commies etc.). We don't want to think about that, but it seems inevitable. You have two aggressive (three if you include the commies) ideologies subverting a docile, apathetic, and ignorant group of people. If the latter doesn't get their act together, the cancer will indeed finish the host off.

however , there are ways and ways of fighting .

Please read Breaking India and buy copies for your friends. Get talking about this conversion issue. Vinayaka has done a superb thing by starting this thread. This is vital to Hinduism's survival in Kali Yuga. It will always be there - but for it to be expressed so beautifully as it has been in India, it needs to be protected.

I agree totaly that it must be protected , but the question is how ?

if you want to envoke support for a cuase you will not do so by bitter criticism ,

that is simply my opinion :namaste

satyaroop

some of those "daft" people include ramakrishna parmahansa, and shirdi sai baba - and there are a lot of worshipers of shirdi sai baba

how are such devotees going to see hinduism as being separate/different from other religions

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
this kind of bitterness is hardly becoming of anyone who professes to have any spiritual understanding , if you wish to criticise christians for their insencitivity and pig headedness then please look carefully at your own attitude .

Unfortunately , he is correct. There's just really no getting around the fact that Christianity and Islam have done more harm than good in this world. I saw it myself, when I was a Christian, hence why I left. Wars were, and are, fought in the name of God, people are killed, cultures are destroyed. What's more, there are horrible things declared by popes and "saints" that women are a little more than animals, and that killing heretics is not against the will of God (seriously?).

That doesn't mean all Christians are bad, or all Muslims are bad, but I do believe that their religions are harmful. Perhaps it is not bitterness TatTvamAsi is feeling, but a need to tell the truth. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Namaskar.

some of those "daft" people include ramakrishna parmahansa, and shirdi sai baba - and there are a lot of worshipers of shirdi sai baba

how are such devotees going to see hinduism as being separate/different from other religions

Ramakrishna and Shirdi Sai Baba were responding to their environment which required discretion. Whether or not they actually believed that Hinduism was compatible with Abrahamism I have no idea, a depressing thought if so.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Tat,

Commies? There goes your credibility.

Maya

Use of negative terms, although not exactly polite, doesn't negate the fact it has some truth. Marxist parties are also a threat to Hinduism, as they are a threat to all religions. I don't see many religions getting footholds in China. Certainly he could have used a more appropriate word.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm going to make a very public statement here that is only incidentally related to the subject here:

DO NOT, for your own sake, under any circumstances engage TatTvamAsi in "conversation". You will not get far. He is regularly banned for long periods of time at another Hindu forum for his comments and behavior. He will use invective and call names; he will throw verbal temper tantrums when one does not agree with his world-view, which is rabid Hindu Nationalism. One of his favorite words is "mleccha" and "zombie-on-a-stick" for crucified Christ. He, for my money, is poison. Engage at your own risk, and do not say I did not warn you. ;) Because of his behavior, which is already becoming evident, I WILL warn the mods about him, to keep a very close eye. I believe he will not be here long. You can change a leopard's ways, but not its spots. Were I gambling man, I would lay odds that this post will elicit a vicious response from him with the added bonus of making reference to my "dangerous touchy-feely salad bar" beliefs, or some facsimile thereof.

Use of negative terms, although not exactly polite, doesn't negate the fact it has some truth. Marxist parties are also a threat to Hinduism, as they are a threat to all religions. I don't see many religions getting footholds in China. Certainly he could have used a more appropriate word.

We're way off topic now, but howabout the trend of Tibetan Buddhism gaining traction in China?

Jainarayan, while I agree that TatTvamAsi's behavior is (was?) generally in contradiction to the spirit of his name, which is the recognition of Brahman in all, I don't find much objectionable about his posts in this thread.

Rather, he gives good proactive advice.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
So anyway...

We can try and warn people about the conversion tactics, especially at temples. It's good to be overvigilant, for your own good, and the good of others. Many Indian temples do this, they will not allow Non-Hindus (or sometimes even Non-Indians) to enter due to past experiences. Where people have tried to cause discourse, or mock them.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Is he not deserving of a chance to show that he has learned something about his past behavior?

Certainly, but forewarned is forearmed. "Fool me once shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me". I'll leave it at this. Now, back to our regularly scheduled program. :)

So anyway...

We can try and warn people about the conversion tactics, especially at temples. It's good to be overvigilant, for your own good, and the good of others. Many Indian temples do this, they will not allow Non-Hindus (or sometimes even Non-Indians) to enter due to past experiences. Where people have tried to cause discourse, or mock them.

Do you believe this is a good thing? I understand the reasons for it. Family members and I were stopped from entering Pashupatinath because we're not ethnically Hindu. The sadhus who were with us refused to enter because of it.

See, there's a schizoid mentality here; India, and especially Nepal, uses the vestiges of its spiritual traditions to milk money from tourists, but still discriminates against ethnic mlecchas. This is not healthy for the reestablishment of Vedic dharma as a global religion, the milking more than the discrimination.