• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How should an individual Muslim respond to far-right groups?

HiddenHijabi

I ask this as in more recent times, a local far-right group have been making themselves known, protesting on a 'no more mosques' stance as well as arguing the usual stuff about immigration and 'In-ger-land' under the guise of patriotism.

Now typically this group's views would not bother me given the whole thing about freedom of expression and all that. However this group's views have meant tensions have been racked up about Islam and I have personally been on the receiving end of harassment on the streets by others. Similarly, there have been two mosque vandalism incidents, done by young men who subscribe to the sort of views this group espouses.

So, I am wondering how an individual Muslim should respond to such groups and what can be done by inidividuals in these circumstances. Is it worth trying to respond to them face-to-face or by some other means? Or should they be merely ignored?

Pastek

Sunni muslim
In which country do you live ? The police do nothing ?

I've never been in this situation so i don't know what you should do.
It must be complicated to try to speak with them but maybe some should.

dynavert2012

May allah bless you sister and reward you by the high levels of paradise due to your struggling and patience

first when you hear them you have to knoe it's your test and you have to ask allah for his support and help to you and talk to him that I'm dping that for your sake so please sccept my deeds snd resurrection me eith the prophets and righteous

second I see if they just talking it's better to do as Allah told us to do Allah said "And the servants of the Most Merciful are those who walk upon the earth easily, and when the ignorant address them [harshly], they say [words of] peace," 25:63 this may could open their hearts if they have ones
otherwise if you met them everyday in the same place so you can report them to the police or ask someone from your mosque to clarify islam for them may allah guide one of them by this

Last edited:

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on you.

Holy Quran Surah Al-A`raf, Chapter 7 : Verse 200
"Take to forgiveness, and enjoin kindness, and turn away from the ignorant."

ch25;v64
"And the servants of the Gracious God are those who walk on the earth in a dignified manner, and when the ignorant address them, they say, ‘Peace!’ "

ch28:v56
"And when they hear vain talk, they turn away from it and say, ‘Unto us our works and unto you your works. Peace be to you. We seek not the ignorant.’ "

Plus using common modes of protection, like no walking through troubled area alone, avoiding miscreants [they stand on sand and they know it], saying prayers in heart with focus, keeping trust Allah is greatest saviour and keeping in sight how Holy Prophet s.a.w. faced such people with utmost patience, keep invoking blessings on him......Satan and his people has no upper hand really.
[17:66] As to My servants, thou shalt certainly have no power over them, and sufficient is thy Lord as a Guardian.

alislam.org/quran

Faith-based willpower is very strong tool. Nothing wins over it.

The first and last 3 chapters of Holy Quran are for special protection.

Last edited:

HiddenHijabi

In which country do you live ? The police do nothing ?

I've never been in this situation so i don't know what you should do.
It must be complicated to try to speak with them but maybe some should.

In terms of the protests, generally all the police can do is keep watch for any signs of trouble, because neither the protests themselves nor their message is illegal.

The harassment is another issue. I've reported incidents a number of times but given that I came to no physical harm, all the police could do was investigate and log the incident. Plus a lot of the time these incidents happened away from the protest (and therefore from police) and away from CCTV or other people who could serve as witnesses, it would be a case of my word against theirs should anyone be caught.

I may see if anyone from the group is willing to engage in a non-argumentative discussion, either in person or via some other means.

Dawud

Areh Areeeeeeeeh
Asalaam-o-Alaikum

There are many things that can be done. First and foremost, we should forgive them and remember that they are jahil (ignorant). Many of these protesters are otherwise very decent human beings and are simply emotional and misinformed about the beautiful deen of Islam. The next thing that we should do is to make dua for them. When the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) was attacked both verbally and physically, he prayed for his oppressors. Call to mind the incident at the city of Ta'if:

One time, Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.a.) and his companion, Zayd ibn Harithah (r.a.) traveled to the city of Ta'if to preach the message of Islam. They preached that there is only one God and that the idols that the people worshiped were nothing but clay and stone; they had no power of their own. The people of Ta'if, however, did not wish to hear this. They, and their children, stoned the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) and Zayd ibn Harithah (r.a.) day after day. After suffering an immense amount at their hands, the Angel Gabriel (a.s.) descended to Muhammad (s.a.w.a.) and said "give me one word, and I will flip these houses and kill all that reside inside!" Muhammad (s.a.w.a.) replied, "No! Despite all that they have done to me, I'm going to just let it go, and I pray that one day this city will breed some sweet believing souls." (Note: I wrote this from memory. The quotes are not exact.)

In addition to praying for these people, we should return their insults with kindness. I heard (although I haven't confirmed) that a group of Muslims in the UK prepared tea and biscuits for a group of protesters that were protesting outside of a masjid. They even offered the protestors to come and play football (soccer) with them. This is one way that kindness can be shown, although it doesn't have to be this extreme.

The kindness you show should indeed extend beyond the protestors and include everybody in your community. One time a Muslim payed for my Christian mothers groceries at the store even though he had no idea who she was, nor did he know that her son is a Muslim. This was an extreme act of kindness and it came at a very unique time because my mother was struggling financially and due to this act of kindness, she could now afford to fill the car with gasoline. You never know when a random act of kindness can truly affect somebody's life.

Additionally, we should organize more events to show how peaceful and tolerant true Muslims are. In my first paragraph, I mentioned that most of these protesters are ignorant of Islam and believe it to be a violent ideology. We need to show them otherwise. The masajid in my area often have various interfaith programs where they invite a Christian Pastor or a Jewish Rabi to speak at the masjid and they send a Shaykh to speak at a Church or Synagogue. One masjid in particular in this area hosts short conferences about the life of Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.a) as well as seminars on important days. For example, they held a seminar about peace and diversity on Martin Luther King Jr. Day this last Monday. The Ahmadiyya Muslim Community hosts an annual blood drive (known as "Muslims for Life") around the time of 9/11 and each year they are able to raise enough blood to save the lives of many times the amount of people that were killed in the September 11th attacks. Events such as these can go a long way in showing that Islam is nothing to fear and that we are a peaceful bunch of people.

Finally, if all other options are exhausted and you are still being harassed, especially if you feel that your life, your family, your property, is your well being is in jeopardy, the best thing to do is to contact the police. If they will do nothing, keep documenting everything. Take notes on all of the incidents of harassment. Take photographs. Record as much information as you can and then go to the police with this. If they still are able to do nothing, go to a higher agency.

InshaAllah the hatred and ignorance shown towards Muslims will come to an end soon. Ameen.

Wa alaykom salaam.

Last edited:

HiddenHijabi

asalaamu 'aleikum Dawud and thank you for your long reply!

In addition to praying for these people, we should return their insults with kindness. I heard (although I haven't confirmed) that a group of Muslims in the UK prepared tea and biscuits for a group of protesters that were protesting outside of a masjid. They even offered the protestors to come and play football (soccer) with them. This is one way that kindness can be shown, although it doesn't have to be this extreme.

I can confirm this happened, because it happened in my hometown of York. The protestors were from the EDL (English Defence League), a group known for Islamophobic hate, and were protesting at the mosque after the stabbing of the Army drummer Lee Rigby (although I can't work out why this was the case given the stabbing happened in London, which is 200 miles away).

Here's a news article on it: BBC News - York Mosque praised for offering EDL protesters tea

Dawud

Areh Areeeeeeeeh
You're most welcome! Thank you for confirming the event. That sounds very good alhamdulillah. May we all learn from those people in sha Allah.

HiddenHijabi

You're most welcome! Thank you for confirming the event. That sounds very good alhamdulillah. May we all learn from those people in sha Allah.

Something else that happened in the wake of the stabbing is that a lot of London mosques, far from shutting themselves off, opened their doors and welcomed people inside to teach about Islam and also answer questions.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Oh wow sorry to hear about this, I don't know what I would do myself. I suppose reporting them is all you can do but I know it's really hard since nothing much can be done about it.

It's something that scares me about practising Islam, to be honest. I'm scared of these type of people.

Union

Oh wow sorry to hear about this, I don't know what I would do myself. I suppose reporting them is all you can do but I know it's really hard since nothing much can be done about it.

It's something that scares me about practising Islam, to be honest. I'm scared of these type of people.

Fight them ...

:sw: