• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much do you trust God?

Adonis65

I ask a question quite frequently on Twitter, but have to date only ever had one response.

The question is:

"If the Lord God appeared to you in a clear vision and commanded you to take the life of a loved one, would (or could) you do it?"

Does your answer cause a conflict with your beliefs?

Out of interest, the response I've received on Twitter was a very definite "No".

EDIT: for those answering that they wouldn't trust it is a true vision of God, does that test your belief about other claims of visions that are typically believed? What would it take for you to believe that it WAS a true vision?

It depends on how we are told to take that life. Abraham was commanded to take the life of his son, but Isaac didn't run away screaming in terror like he would from a murderous criminal. It was a trial of faith for both Abraham & for Isaac, as both were willing to fulfill God's commandment.

waitasec

Veteran Member
That pretty much sums up radical Islam. Thank you, waitasec. ;)

i would say that pretty much sums up radicalism...

need i remind you of the radicalization of a certain mother theresa who equated birth control to murder, thereby perpetuating needless misery...creating a system where she would be revered as saintly...

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I actually had to deal with this issue when I was 9 years old and God asked me to kill my goldfish.

I was alone in my room studying when there was a dazzling flash of light and this deep, booming voice that seemed to be coming from everywhere at once said,

"QUAGMIRE!"

I said, "Oh hi God. Um, these aren't my magazines by the way..."

"QUAGMIRE, I COMMAND THEE TO KILL MR. BUBBLES!"

I said, "What? Why?"

"QUAGMIRE, IT IS NOT FOR YOU TO QUESTION MY COMMANDS! MY REASONS FOR REQUIRING THE DEMISE OF MR. BUBBLES ARE BEYOND YOU! "

I said, "Oh..."

"MYSTERIOUS WAYS AND ALL THAT, YOU KNOW!"

"OK, but that's not what I meant".

"OH!?!"

"Yeah, what I mean is: you're God, you can create and destroy galaxies. If you want Mr. Bubbles dead, why would you need my help?"

"NEVERMIND THAT!!..."

"And anyway, you've got all of eternity. If you really want Mr. Bubbles dead why not just wait 3 days until he kicks off on his own like all my other goldfish?"

"HMMMMM!!...."

"Hey wait a minute, this is a test, isn't it?"

"MAYBE!!"

"Uh huh, like that Abraham/Issac thing, right?"

"YEAH, (heehee)! YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN THE EXPRESSION ON HIS FACE!!"

"Well, I'm not buying. Sorry. If you want Mr. Bubbles gone you know where he is".

"MR. WHO?"

"Mr....uh oh".

"SOMETHING WRONG?!"

"Oh, nothing...."

"FORGET TO FEED SOMEBODY LAST CPL DAYS DID WE?"

"yes"

"THINK MAYBE YOU SHOULD CUT BACK ON THE "STUDYING" A BIT?!"

Pillsongchurch

Good Without God
It depends on how we are told to take that life. Abraham was commanded to take the life of his son, but Isaac didn't run away screaming in terror like he would from a murderous criminal. It was a trial of faith for both Abraham & for Isaac, as both were willing to fulfill God's commandment.
This stopry is told as a parable, and faith in Gods commands is held up as a virtue. I find it fascinating that so many people are willing to dismiss an appearance of the Lord with disbelief or scepticism or would just flat out refuse to obey him.

So what level of command would either lower the bar to make you believe that it WAS in fact God speaking with you or to make you carry out his wish? Physical harm to another? Renouncing your family?

PS - Quagmire LOL. Poor Mr Bubbles, a mere pawn in Gods games

Adonis65

i would say that pretty much sums up radicalism...

I would say that you're using a blanketing statement. You're alluding to the opinion that radicalism equates to religion. Need I remind you of threats made by ****** off homosexuals against opponents of gay marriage?

need i remind you of the radicalization of a certain mother theresa who equated birth control to murder, thereby perpetuating needless misery...creating a system where she would be revered as saintly...

And need I remind you of the pointless destruction that is made in abortion clinics, thereby perpetuating reckless sexual activity and creating a system where women's rights is used to shield the stupidity behind the overpopulation agenda?

AmbiguousGuy

all i have to say is 9/11

Hey, waitasec. I see a little difference between *Andrea Yates and the 911 killers. God told Yates to kill, but a theology or a preacher told the 911 guys to kill. The outcome was the same in both cases, but while I feel some pity for Yates, I don't feel any for the 911 killers. They were motivated by hate. She seems to have been motivated by insanity. (Assuming it wasn't really God who told her to kill her children, I mean.)

Here's a question: If Abraham had killed Isaac, would we think of him exactly as we think of Andrea Yates?

I would, but I'm thinking some Jews and Christians might see the two cases as distinctly different.

[*Note: If Yates didn't kill because of a God message, let's assume so for the sake of argument. Plenty of parents have done so. See "Deanna Laney" for a specific example.]

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
"If the Lord God appeared to you in a clear vision and commanded you to take the life of a loved one, would (or could) you do it?"
Um, no.

Does your answer cause a conflict with your beliefs?
Um, no.

EDIT: for those answering that they wouldn't trust it is a true vision of God, does that test your belief about other claims of visions that are typically believed? What would it take for you to believe that it WAS a true vision?
Actually, if the truth be told, "god" knows better than to screw with me. :)

Pillsongchurch

Good Without God
Yes, seriously. Who is the original writer of that so-called parable?

No there isn't. Abraham was a prophet of God and he never killed his son. That's the difference.
Correct me if I'm missing something, but it's a story out of the old testament. God asked Abraham to kill his son, and as he prepared to do so God stopped him. In the original question I never raise whether God would stay your hand or not, just whether you'd be prepared to go through with it.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I would say that you're using a blanketing statement. You're alluding to the opinion that radicalism equates to religion. Need I remind you of threats made by ****** off homosexuals against opponents of gay marriage?
what is the title of this thread...?
so of course i'm going to be alluding to religion

And need I remind you of the pointless destruction that is made in abortion clinics, thereby perpetuating reckless sexual activity and creating a system where women's rights is used to shield the stupidity behind the overpopulation agenda?
nice ducking technique. i suggest you get your facts straight before you regurgitate all that nonsensical rhetoric.
it's interesting that in secular countries you find less abortions per capita
Abortions statistics - countries compared - NationMaster Health

moving right along...

waitasec

Veteran Member
Hey, waitasec. I see a little difference between *Andrea Yates and the 911 killers. God told Yates to kill, but a theology or a preacher told the 911 guys to kill. The outcome was the same in both cases, but while I feel some pity for Yates, I don't feel any for the 911 killers. They were motivated by hate. She seems to have been motivated by insanity. (Assuming it wasn't really God who told her to kill her children, I mean.)
i disagree
they were motivated by radicalized religion...i'm sure the last words they said was "god id great" as they hit those buildings.

St Giordano Bruno

Enough to never to jump out of a plane from 20,000 feet without a parachute and expecting him to save me in spite of praying all the way down.

jojo50

Saying “lord God” is like saying…mother mother, or father,father, those are titles not names. So god or Lord isn’t the name of the God of Israel, it’s Yahweh, or English, Jehovah. First many confuse these times,from the days of old. Jehovah is a very intelligent God. He KNOWS this is satan’s world,(he allowed him to have it), This is why there’ so much negative works. Jehovah would NEVER ask anyone today to show their love for him that way, Because he knows this systems government.
The only thing he would ask of those who serve him, when it came to going against what the government say. Is if the government says to worship them, instead of him,(Psa.118:9 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes). {governments}. Jesus also pointed this, out, (Matt.22:21- They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's).

besides the governments law on “murder” Jehovah also knows that we’re so far from perfect. That many of us just couldn’t kill our children,I KNOW I couldn’t!
Jehovah uses his Holy Spirit to lead us the right way. So it WOULDN’T be Jehovah, (some say Jesus),it wouldn’t be him either. ANYONE who hears a voice saying kill someone for me. REALLY needs to get on their knees and start praying to the true Jehovah God in Jesus name. Because satan is trying to lead that person down the wrong road!

Satan himself,as well as the many ministers he uses. Can fool many into believing many things is of God,when it really isn’t. (2Cor.-11:13-15, For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works). peace :)

Lots of words that mean nothing. Be in the real world! This is not yet completely Satan's world because there is at least 1 person left. And that person is me. Now if we could get together and change the government that would be a step in the right direction.What we need are more of are weapons not words. After all, the reason that the devil's are invisible is that they know they are vulnerable in some way.