• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Much Do You Doubt God's Existence?

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
You are questioning God's desire! He does what he does.
Who knows if there are sentient beings in other worlds/universes and he is there too?
(It could be a female like Durga in Hinduism or others in ancient religions)

wm2ns4pdo59b1.jpg
Durga-mata1.jpg
God can do whatever He wants. Is trcky idea.
Whatever we Muslims believe God is shapeless. Nothing like Him, nothing could represent Him in shape.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
God can do whatever He wants. Is trcky idea.
No trick involved, if one considers him all-mighty. He may have his reasons, of which we would not know - for example, killing 150,000 people in Aceh tsunami or 50,000 people in Turkeye/Syria earthquake.

"Allaahul lazee khalaqa Sab'a Samaawaatinw wa minal ardi mislahunna yatanazzalul amru bainahunna lita'lamooo annal laaha 'alaa kulli shai'in Qadeerunw wa annal laaha qad ahaata bikulli shai'in 'ilmaa" Surah At-Talaaq, Qur'an, 65:12
(...so that you might know that Allah has power over all things and that Allah encompasses all things in His knowledge.)

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Is there any room in your belief to doubt God exists?
Or do you believe in God with 100% certainty?

If you're agnostic does that mean you believe there is a 50% chance God exists and a 50% chance he doesn't?

If you don't believe in God or gods are you 100% certain there is no God(s)? 90%, 70%?

If you believe in more than one God are there some gods you don't believe in? How certain that these gods you don't believe in don't exist?

What do you base this percentage of non-belief on?
I'm an agnostic theist. This means that I do not think the existence of God can be either proven or disproven using either science or reasoned arguments. Despite this, I go with my fallible intuition and believe in God. I have in the back of my mind a little red flag that says I may be wrong., but it doesn't prevent me from living my life for God.

I realize you would like a percent, but I'm simply not able to quantify it that way.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Not exactly .. unless you can show us?
Off course it does.

It is what inevitably happens when you have systems that reproduce with variation and which are in competition over limited resources in an ever-changing environment.

That's the causal explanation of why this process manifests. It's the inevitable result of these conditions.

PureX

Veteran Member
There is no evidence for interference of this imagined God in the affairs of the world.
There is plenty of evidence. Atheists just refuse to accept it. Then claim that the lack of it IS evidence that no gods exist.

it’s a ridiculous position, but they don’t hear any criticism. They fight it tooth and nail even while they proclaim what critical thinkers they are.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
systems? How did THEY evolve? Where did they come from?
1. Doesn't matter to the process of evolution. Regardless of where they come from, evolution is what inevitably happens once such conditions are in place. This doesn't just concern life as we know it. Any type of thing that meets those requirements, will evolve over time. It's inevitable.

2. some type of abiogenesis event

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
No trick involved, if one considers him all-mighty. He may have his reasons, of which we would not know - for example, killing 150,000 people in Aceh tsunami or 50,000 people in Turkeye/Syria earthquake.

"Allaahul lazee khalaqa Sab'a Samaawaatinw wa minal ardi mislahunna yatanazzalul amru bainahunna lita'lamooo annal laaha 'alaa kulli shai'in Qadeerunw wa annal laaha qad ahaata bikulli shai'in 'ilmaa" Surah At-Talaaq, Qur'an, 65:12
(...so that you might know that Allah has power over all things and that Allah encompasses all things in His knowledge.)
So if i accept your claim, God is could be these victims too. He just want dies much.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
..and that's it..
Yes.

The explanation only tells us that it happens under certain conditions

Yes. It's the only thing the explanation has to tell.
Why did the window break? => an explanation for the truck driving over a rock which sends it flying.

That is the explanation of how the rock ends up in the window. We could go further and ask where the truck came from, where the rock came from, etc... but it's not relevant to why the window broke. No matter where to truck and rock came from... the explanation of why the rock was sent flying remains the same.

Same here with evolution.
What triggered the process?
Well, the conditions in place of things reproducing with variation in a struggle for survival in competition over limited resources.

That's the explanation of why the process occurs.
You can off course ask where the conditions come from, but at that point you are asking about explanations of those things and no longer of the evolutionary process.

.. it doesn't tell us why or how
those conditions came to be.

It doesn't have to as the question asked isn't about those conditions. It's about the evolutionary process.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It's been so many years since I read philosohy that I don't remember the substance of his views. My impression is that he was a theist much like Einstein, and talked about God in the abstract.
Ya, as he was basically a pantheist/panentheist. Einstein said he believed in "Spinoza's God".

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I'm an agnostic theist. This means that I do not think the existence of God can be either proven or disproven using either science or reasoned arguments. Despite this, I go with my fallible intuition and believe in God. I have in the back of my mind a little red flag that says I may be wrong., but it doesn't prevent me from living my life for God.

I realize you would like a percent, but I'm simply not able to quantify it that way.
We even have more in common than what I thought.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
So if i accept your claim, God is could be these victims too. He just want dies much.
Is not God Alpha and Omega according to Quran? How can he be dead?

"huwa al-awalu wal-akhiru wal-zahiru wal-batinu wahuwa bikulli shayin alimun" Surah Al-Hadid, Quran 57.3
(He is the First (nothing is before Him) and the Last (nothing is after Him), the Most High (nothing is above Him) and the Most Near (nothing is nearer than Him). And He is the All-Knower of every thing.)

muhammad_isa

You can off course ask where the conditions come from, but at that point you are asking about explanations of those things and no longer of the evolutionary process..
Not really .. for the process to exist, it needs the 'conditions' .. which means to me, that the process itself
was not caused by itself.
..so 'evolution' as an explanation for the existence of mankind is somewhat lacking.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Not really .. for the process to exist, it needs the 'conditions' .. which means to me, that the process itself
Of course you have a motive to create a "gap" and purpose for your idea of God to be necessary. The irony is that your God had to have caused itself.
..so 'evolution' as an explanation for the existence of mankind is somewhat lacking.
Sorry, the lineage of fossils, and genetic mapping, and the dates for strata where various fossils are discovered, etc. all inform us that humans evolved over time.

It amazes me that "true believers" who reject science seem to think that the well educated, critical mind will be swayed by their commitment to religious indocrination. You admitting that you reject science should be an embarrassment, not pride.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Not really ..

Yes really.

for the process to exist, it needs the 'conditions' .. which means to me, that the process itself

iow: the explanation for how / why the evolutionary process occurs, is that those conditions are present.
Just like the explanation for why the window broke, is the explanation of the rock being launched into the window when a truck hit it.

It matters not to the question asked where the rock came from / how the conditions came about.

It's not.

It seems to me that you simply want there to be more to it then that, likely because you have emotional problems with an explanation of how mankind came about where there is no role for the god you believe in.

That's a "you" problem tbh.