• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Many People Here Are Religious, And How Many Not?

How Many People Here Are Religious?

• Total voters

Earthling

David Henson
Its better than philosophy forums where people talk all kinds of complicated rubbish to make obscure, fanciful points.

That's for sure. Been there done that.

Here on this forum you can be more down to earth, and the rubbish is far more appealing.

More appealing rubbish. Got it.

Religion appeals, thats why atheists love it so much. A shooter needs a target to be happy.

A scapegoat, as it were.

Full tilt religious subjectivity and speculation keeps free speech alive and well.

We'll see about that.

Tammie

RothschildSaxeCoburgGotha said:
I'm curious to know how many people here are religious and how many are not. I realize that only a small percentage of people who post regularly on the forums will answer, still. I would like to hear from the religious why they think the non religious post here and I would like to hear from the non religious why they do so.

Is it an interest in religion? The discussion on the science forums? Does it allow you to express frustration of living in a spiritual world? Or something else?

Comment: That is a very good question, I believe truly in the Word of God, and I try to make every decision by it and base my whole life upon it. My doctrine is Christ/Yeshua and not of any doctrine from a church. If one calls that religious, or for believing the Bible as truth, than I am religious

I thought when I first visited RF, that it would be a place to come to and be with other believers (of the Bible) and really learn something from each other. Most of the topics that are accessible...can start with a person that doesn't believe those things to begin with or does not believe what the Bible says about it

I mean, would I really learn something from someone who doesn't believe it to begin with? No.

Do I think if I listen to what they believe in, that it would change what I believe. No

Do I think that if they listened to what I believe that they would change what they believe? No.

If someone really believes in whatever it is that they believe, there is no defense. Yet, everywhere I've been at RF, someone seems offended, or is trying to defend what they say they believe.

I wish RF divided the topics according to belief....instead of topics that divide belief. What I mean is all Creationists/ Evolutionist in one area, Atheists in another, Christians in another set by denominations so that there are no arguments of church doctrine, Bible Believers with no denomination, Philosophy & Science in another,,,,so on and so forth. The Leaders could then give the topic of the discussion for that day. You would be amazed at how much everyone can contribute to the daily conversation and how much one can learn. If one wants to go into another chat of another belief....they can do so, but only to ask questions, not to give accounts of what they believe differently. It sure would be a much more friendly environment if this occurred.

There is one person that I would especially like to give my thanks and appreciation for at RF and that is you (RothschildSaxeCoburgGotha)

You are funny, truthful and straight to the point, bring out the best of scriptures, and are very knowledgeable in the Bible. Let's put it this way....I know that I could learn something from you. You stand firmly in what you believe, and you deal with people trying to cause trouble appropriately. Then of course, look what you stand in the midst of....it gives you no other choice. When I do visit RF and come across your posts, I just want you to know that they are noticed because I recognize who they are from and want to encourage you to stay the course.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Perhaps some religious people dont think through their arguments enough. But i do have a religion myself, and i accept a spiritual dimension to reality. I also accept that you can prove the spiritual by the spiritual, and you can prove the physical by the physical, but rarely can you prove one by the other.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
That's a whole lot of atheists and Hindus.

I'm not an atheist.

Last edited:

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
Is that Dr. Doom?!! It is! I haven't seen him since I was a kid. Does that bring back old memories!

Hehe, that's a panel from Infinity Gauntlet which formed the basis for this whole wacky Marvel Cinematic Universe we're experiencing these days.

Sorry, I got sidetracked. I can relate to your statement. In my heavy drinking days I used to go onto atheist forums just because I loved taunting them, arguing with them and occasionally having an actual meaningful debate. Overwhelming level of douche-baggery, huh? Can we say that?!

I don't know if I'm not allowed to say douche-baggery. I think as long as I don't call any specific atheists douche-bags I can say it. I don't know. If the post disappears I suppose we'll know for sure.

The truth is I think many of them are just bullies who don't seem to understand how similar they are to fundamentalist Christians in their approach. The willful ignorance in order to 'toe the party line' (for lack of a better term) is hilarious to me. Sharp contrast to the strict empirical/logician/scientist they see themselves as.

Earthling

David Henson
RothschildSaxeCoburgGotha said:
I'm curious to know how many people here are religious and how many are not. I realize that only a small percentage of people who post regularly on the forums will answer, still. I would like to hear from the religious why they think the non religious post here and I would like to hear from the non religious why they do so.

Is it an interest in religion? The discussion on the science forums? Does it allow you to express frustration of living in a spiritual world? Or something else?

Comment: That is a very good question, I believe truly in the Word of God, and I try to make every decision by it and base my whole life upon it. My doctrine is Christ/Yeshua and not of any doctrine from a church. If one calls that religious, or for believing the Bible as truth, than I am religious

I thought when I first visited RF, that it would be a place to come to and be with other believers (of the Bible) and really learn something from each other. Most of the topics that are accessible...can start with a person that doesn't believe those things to begin with or does not believe what the Bible says about it

I mean, would I really learn something from someone who doesn't believe it to begin with? No.

Do I think if I listen to what they believe in, that it would change what I believe. No

Do I think that if they listened to what I believe that they would change what they believe? No.

If someone really believes in whatever it is that they believe, there is no defense. Yet, everywhere I've been at RF, someone seems offended, or is trying to defend what they say they believe.

I wish RF divided the topics according to belief....instead of topics that divide belief. What I mean is all Creationists/ Evolutionist in one area, Atheists in another, Christians in another set by denominations so that there are no arguments of church doctrine, Bible Believers with no denomination, Philosophy & Science in another,,,,so on and so forth. The Leaders could then give the topic of the discussion for that day. You would be amazed at how much everyone can contribute to the daily conversation and how much one can learn. If one wants to go into another chat of another belief....they can do so, but only to ask questions, not to give accounts of what they believe differently. It sure would be a much more friendly environment if this occurred.

That would be great, but I honestly don't know if it would work in the same capacity as a debate forum. I think that a lot of people want to argue, and would rather have someone disagree with them then to agree. A forum tends to get stale when there is only agreement and I don't think it would last very long, I'm afraid to say. I haven't moved around the forums enough to see whether or not those discussions, rather than debates are available, but it does seem to be primarily given to debate.

There is one person that I would especially like to give my thanks and appreciation for at RF and that is you (RothschildSaxeCoburgGotha)

You are funny, truthful and straight to the point, bring out the best of scriptures, and are very knowledgeable in the Bible. Let's put it this way....I know that I could learn something from you. You stand firmly in what you believe, and you deal with people trying to cause trouble appropriately. Then of course, look what you stand in the midst of....it gives you no other choice. When I do visit RF and come across your posts, I just want you to know that they are noticed because I recognize who they are from and want to encourage you to stay the course.

That took me by surprise. It is so nice of you to say that, I really, really appreciate it. And I have to admit, you are absolutely right. :D i will try and stay the course. Thanks for the encouragement.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
That would be great, but I honestly don't know if it would work in the same capacity as a debate forum. I think that a lot of people want to argue, and would rather have someone disagree with them then to agree. A forum tends to get stale when there is only agreement and I don't think it would last very long, I'm afraid to say. I haven't moved around the forums enough to see whether or not those discussions, rather than debates are available, but it does seem to be primarily given to debate.

That took me by surprise. It is so nice of you to say that, I really, really appreciate it. And I have to admit, you are absolutely right. :D i will try and stay the course. Thanks for the encouragement.

"A forum tends to get stale when there is only agreement "

It is true.
Regards

Earthling

David Henson
The truth is I think many of them are just bullies who don't seem to understand how similar they are to fundamentalist Christians in their approach. The willful ignorance in order to 'toe the party line' (for lack of a better term) is hilarious to me. Sharp contrast to the strict empirical/logician/scientist they see themselves as.

This is how I always thought of it as well, except for that when I have had debates with Christians who disagree with me they honestly tried to present a coherent argument based upon their own personal findings, whereas atheists, at least the science minded ones, are notoriously intellectually dishonest and lazy in their approach. Overconfidence in the guise of either intolerance, ignorance or some hidden agenda. You simply can't get a straight answer out of them.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
This is how I always thought of it as well, except for that when I have had debates with Christians who disagree with me they honestly tried to present a coherent argument based upon their own personal findings, whereas atheists, at least the science minded ones, are notoriously intellectually dishonest and lazy in their approach. Overconfidence in the guise of either intolerance, ignorance or some hidden agenda. You simply can't get a straight answer out of them.

Fundamentalists come in every flavor, I've found.

GoodbyeDave

I'm not an atheist.
Then why don't you say what you are? Frankly, when people join a religious forum and identify themselves with silly slogans and avatars, I assume they're just here to mock or behave foolishly. A lot of people here need to get a life.

Of course, it is difficult to have discussions between people whose beliefs have nothing in common. I remain here just in case I can answer the questions of seekers. I've more or less given up on answering the atheists: "washing a pig is a waste of time and soap", as the old saying has it.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Depends on the definition you're using. Since this thread dosesn't have one, who knows? Some of us Hindus are atheist to the Abrahamic God, but theist to our own concept of God. That's what you get when one paradigm tries to interpret another paradigm by its terms.
Exactly. Conventionally religious is too stifling I find for Hindus. One only needs to survey a random Temple to see what beliefs are actually being represented. And even then that changes day to day.
I was also going through some of my old posts and recalled where someone challenged my familial culture and religion being one and the same. And now that I've cooled down, I can see that they were right to do so. But I also got to thinking that to us, religion and culture are one and the same. That's hard to really translate across paradigms (except maybe to ethnic Jews, I dunno.) Perhaps the identity is such because of conversions.

Religious as a term I find is actually used primarily by Western born adherents rather than Eastern elders (at least that's what I have personally observed. Could be wrong.)
All the uncles and aunties at my local temple at least balk at the term. Too Abrahamic and restrictive they tell me.
Then you add in "complications" of colliding paradigms. Sai Baba people accepting Jesus into the fold, converted Christians/Catholics holding onto their Hindu roots etc.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Then you add in "complications" of colliding paradigms. Sai Baba people accepting Jesus into the fold, converted Christians/Catholics holding onto their Hindu roots etc.

It's insidious. So many subtle factors. Lately I've seen a way too much of this: "Can I do this, can I do that?" People asking about tattoos, of it's okay to drink, clothing ... they're looking for a rule book, because in the other paradigm, rule books exist. So either they're born Hindus who've been overly influenced by the western faiths, or they're westerners with baggage wondering all about the RULES of Hinduism. It's really hard to explain to them that we don't think that way. We have wisdom, and there are consequences but there is no rule book. So the real difference, I'm coming to realise, is whether or not you can think for yourself, or you need a book to do your thinking for you.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Frankly, when people join a religious forum and identify themselves with silly slogans and avatars, I assume they're just here to mock or behave foolishly.

Well, as long as no one who's opinion matters feels that way, not a problem. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
I wish there were a religious forum with the same mix of religions here, that did not allow non religious posters, I didn't come here to listen to atheists, their lack of faith does not impress me one bit.
And you don't have to. Ignore them, or better yet, PUT them on Ignore.

A simple, dimple solution, if you ask me. :shrug:

I post in the debate forums because I like to debate. As far as I'm aware atheists are welcome to post in these forums. I really don't understand why religious folk get mad when an atheist debates them in the DEBATE forum.

Posts in this thread from certain individuals shows they have a general disdain/distrust of atheists. If they don't like atheists and don't want to deal with them, why do they keep returning to a forum that has active atheist posters?

Earthling

David Henson
I post in the debate forums because I like to debate. As far as I'm aware atheists are welcome to post in these forums. I really don't understand why religious folk get mad when an atheist debates them in the DEBATE forum.

Posts in this thread from certain individuals shows they have a general disdain/distrust of atheists. If they don't like atheists and don't want to deal with them, why do they keep returning to a forum that has active atheist posters?

I like a good debate as well as the next person. I would welcome a debate on any subject so long as it has to do with the Bible. I like debating the Bible with atheists, so long as they don't drag evolution into it. When they start talking evolution I lose interest. I do have a disliking of those sorts of debates.

I meant no offense towards atheists in this poll / thread and certainly didn't mean to imply that atheists weren't welcome, I was, if anything, just curious as to why so many would seem to have an interest in religion.