• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Many More States Will Drop Federal Unemployment Benefits?

Is the federal unemployment program causing problems

• Yes

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Probably

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Possibly

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

esmith

Veteran Member
Seems that States are dropping out of the federal unemployment benefit program. The reason given is that businesses can not find workers. Seems that some workers can make more by not working. Of course Biden and most Democrasts do not think their program is the problem.
South Carolina Becomes 2nd State To Drop Federal Unemployment Benefits | HuffPost
Montana ends extra jobless benefits as businesses struggle to find workers
Then we have States that are going back to the pre-pandemic requirements.
Florida’s unemployment benefits will soon require proof of job searches
Claimants Must Look for Work to Receive Unemployment Benefits

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Its kind of a complicated problem.

Locally, I've never seen so many low wage jobs open. They are everywhere, and some places are offering sign on bonuses. For some low income workers, it makes more sense to collect the unemployment. I think its wise in those states that the unemployment office requires one to look for work, rather than just cut benefits across the board, because not everyone's in the same situation.

On the other hand, many people doing this don't earn enough normally to make ends meet. How to fix that...

There is no on/off solution in my opinion. The whole thing is broken.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Seems that States are dropping out of the federal unemployment benefit program. The reason given is that businesses can not find workers. Seems that some workers can make more by not working. Of course Biden and most Democrasts do not think their program is the problem.
South Carolina Becomes 2nd State To Drop Federal Unemployment Benefits | HuffPost
Montana ends extra jobless benefits as businesses struggle to find workers
Then we have States that are going back to the pre-pandemic requirements.
Florida’s unemployment benefits will soon require proof of job searches
Claimants Must Look for Work to Receive Unemployment Benefits
I think its due that many businesses can not or will not pay any type of living wage.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I answered possibly because we'll find out with some states cutting unemployment and some not.

I suspect it's a factor for some and not for others. People are complex and are not the strictly rational beings some would like to assume.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's the "party of Jesus" ****ting on the poor, I'll say that.
And why should people be forced to take low wage entry jobs? Aren't those for high schoolers? Aren't those supposed to be prohibited from furnishing a living wage?
Locally, I've never seen so many low wage jobs open.
That's how it is here. Low wage (or low hours to make a higher hourly wage equal to low pay), no dignity, no living off it. Why should anyone be expected to take them? It's a good chance they come with a high risk of burn, cut, or repetitive motion injuries for a job that doesn't pay enough for you to go to the doctor or give you enough hours for insurance.
And the pandemic isn't even yet over. Were nearing the end, but we aren't there quite yet.

Altfish

Veteran Member
May I change the thread's title to better reflect the situation...

How Many More GOP GOVERNED States Will Drop Federal Unemployment Benefits?

PureX

Veteran Member
May I change the thread's title to better reflect the situation...

How Many More GOP GOVERNED States Will Drop Federal Unemployment Benefits?
... Just so they can blame it on Biden for the next election cycle. This is now the republican party's one and only strategy for America's future: reject anything and everything the current administration does and then blame the damage on the administration. They have no solutions to ANYTHING. Only that.

So the real question to esmith is; why do you support that kind of 'win by any means' agenda, regardless of the damage done to the American people?

Last edited:

esmith

Veteran Member
... Just so they can blame it on Biden for the next election cycle. This is now the republican party's one and only strategy for America's future: reject anything and everything the current administration does and then blame the damage on the administration. They have no solutions to ANYTHING. Only that.

So the real question to esmith is; why do you support that kind of 'win by any means' agenda, regardless of the damage done to the American people?
Why do I support, in your words, 'win by any means'?
Very simply, to lose is not an option. The country can not survive under the type of policies being fostered on us by the likes of the current administration.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why do I support, in your words, 'win by any means'?
Very simply, to lose is not an option. The country can not survive under the type of policies being fostered on us by the likes of the current administration.
Paying people to not work...how could that go wrong?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Aren't those for high schoolers? Aren't those supposed to be prohibited from furnishing a living wage?

I get sick of hearing its okay to pay certain jobs less because they're for high schoolers... high schoolers don't work at the same rates they used to. In most cases, the schooling has become too demanding for that.

Go into your grocery store or fast food joint and see how many actual high school kids there are. College kids and high school kids can't be considered the same, as college kids often completely support themselves financially. Why is okay for them to be broke to a point of food insecurity? I know very few college students whom had parents that paid their bills, other than perhaps leaving them on the cell phone plan.

Its the grunt workers that keep the world going around, and I wish they got a little more appreciation. What if all the direct care staff at nursing and group homes walked off? How about all the grocery and mass retail workers? Heck, even the fast food workers taking off would gravely upset many who are used to grabbing that coffee on the way to work or calling for pizza after a hard day. I'm not suggesting a cashier should be paid the same as a surgeon, but at least acknowledge that each piece of the puzzle is important.

PureX

Veteran Member
NOT paying them when they cannot otherwise survive, now THAT'S a recipe for success!

What is so heartbreaking, here, is that neither of you care that your fellow citizens can't survive in this economy working 40 hours a week at most of the jobs going unfilled. (That's why they are going unfilled.) You really just DON'T CARE. You'd rather see them enslaved in endless hours of drudge-work, and in poverty, than see anyone help them out. This is the depths of greed and ignorance and selfishness that so many in this country have sunk to.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
State does it for criminals in prison. Why not law abiding workers. If you are homeless and starving what is the incentive to not break the law and get to prison. You get food and shelter.

We Never Know

No Slack
NOT paying them when they cannot otherwise survive, now THAT'S a recipe for success!

What is so heartbreaking, here, is that neither of you care that your fellow citizens can't survive in this economy working 40 hours a week at most of the jobs going unfilled. (That's why they are going unfilled.) You really just DON'T CARE. You'd rather see them enslaved in endless hours of drudge-work, and in poverty, than see anyone help them out. This is the depths of greed and ignorance and selfishness that so many in this country have sunk to.

Let them work and get extra help if needed. At least they are putting in effort instead of sitting home doing nothing

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
State does it for criminals in prison. Why not law abiding workers. If you are homeless and starving what is the incentive to not break the law and get to prison. You get food and shelter.
In that case, the "work" is being a prisoner.
Food & shelter don't seem high enuf pay.

PureX

Veteran Member
Let them work and get extra help if needed. At least they are putting in effort instead of sitting home doing nothing
Why should we all be paying to supplement the greed of businessmen who will not pay a living wage? If we do that, they will NEVER pay a living wage. As it is, if people can refuse to work for such slave wages, maybe the employers will finally start paying more.

Also, what's with the "punish them" attitude? What have those people who are out of work ever done to you?