• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many here on RF are Theistic Evolutionist?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
That is not the same as what we are speaking about in the case of this argument. You said that the idea of what is being called theistic evolution is a silly concept. You then said that was a copout to have any speculation that wasn't directly founded in scripture. You then said that attributing characteristics that are not founded in scripture is fabricating God. This has all been quoted in previous posts several times.

Then, you say that you are glad you are not Jewish, and you are either saying that the characteristics mentioned by Beaudreaux do not apply to you and you reject the description, or that God "was" not what he "did". The first option is not in line with your previous statement, and the second option simply does not make sense.

This is a clear contradiction
Your confused. I'm not Jewish. What God told the Jews to do is not what He tells me to do. That does not change who God is. It has nothing to do with the Biblical creation account.

Allfather

Troublemaker from Ulster
If I am confused, this is where it happened.

Allfather said:
We define who God is by what he does. That is one of the biggest arguments for intelligent design is it not, we do not see God but we see his effects? Why would God "be" anything other than what does, especially when the only access to God is by his action. Otherwise, it would be a contradiction on God's part, which I don't think is logically sound to assume.

They are one in the same, IMO, and the contradiction still remains

Sandy said:
God saw fit to deal with the children of Abraham differently than He did the rest of the world. That is not a contradiction of who He is.

I did not see how this response was an explanation against my previous post. God seeing fit to deal with Abraham, etc. is not an example God "being" something different than what he "was". He meant to do exactly what he did. Neither does this prove that what God is and what God does are not the same.

Regardless, I think this thread has completely derailed....
EDIT at least as this part of the conversation goes. Didn't mean to trample painted_wolf and lunamoth :(
Back on topic?

Last edited:

Allfather

Troublemaker from Ulster
I understand. You are dedicated to the OP and don't want to be distracted. Let's just say that you reject parts of the Bible like anyone else and forget about it...
.....Doesn't what we do demonstrate our character? Is it somehow different with God?....
......Is he still dealing with them that way? Has anything changes? They are still supposed to kill homosexuals, right?.....

Questions I was trying to ask, but was clearly confused. Maybe you will have better luck understanding :shrug:

Beaudreaux

Your confused. I'm not Jewish. What God told the Jews to do is not what He tells me to do. That does not change who God is. It has nothing to do with the Biblical creation account.
I am starting to understand. (Sometimes it takes me a while)

You are saying that the instructions and laws that God gave to the Jews do not apply to us. I understand now. Please be patient with me. I am slow sometimes. :)

So, many people believe that God's instructions to the Jews in the Old Testament apply to them. It's sad, really. Take a look at some things God told the Jews to do that do not apply to us:
  1. I am the Lord your God. Do not have any other Gods before me.
  2. Do not take the Lord's name in vain.
  3. Remember the Lord's day and keep it holy.
  4. Honor your father and mother.
  5. You shall not kill.
  6. You shall not commit adultery.
  7. You shall not steal.
  8. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
  9. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife.
  10. You shall not covet your neighbor's goods.
Those ten jump to mind, but there are more. Thank you for pointing out the irrelevance of these to we gentiles.

Didn't God tell the Biblical creation account to the Jews? Why does it apply to you? Didn't he also give the 10 Commandments to the Jews? They do not apply to you, do they?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member

You are saying that the instructions and laws that God gave to the Jews do not apply to us. I understand now. Please be patient with me. I am slow sometimes. :)

So, many people believe that God's instructions to the Jews in the Old Testament apply to them. It's sad, really. Take a look at some things God told the Jews to do that do not apply to us:
  5. You shall not kill.
  7. You shall not steal.
Those ten jump to mind, but there are more. Thank you for pointing out the irrelevance of these to we gentiles.

Didn't he also give the 10 Commandments to the Jews? They do not apply to you, do they?
I believe there is a whole thread dedicated to just that topic.

Didn't God tell the Biblical creation account to the Jews? Why does it apply to you?
Any serious questions?

Allfather

Troublemaker from Ulster
Notice nowhere does it say: Thou shalt not study science. :cool:

wa:do

agreed...which I think is the bottom line. There is nothing saying that we can't learn more of the world around us. There is nothing inherently blasphemous about science or evolution.

Beaudreaux

Originally Posted by Beaudreaux

5. You shall not kill.
  7. You shall not steal.

I believe there is a whole thread dedicated to just that topic.
Oh COOL! ...........so.....so do YOU think the 10 Commandments are only for the Jews?

kiwimac

Brother Napalm of God's Love
According to a number of Jews they are indeed only for them, Gentiles being bound only by the laws given to Noah (Noahide Covenant.)

They are:

1. Prohibition of Idolatry: You shall not have any idols before God.
  2. Prohibition of Murder: You shall not murder. (Genesis 9:6)
  3. Prohibition of Theft: You shall not steal.
  4. Prohibition of Sexual Promiscuity: You shall not commit any of a series of sexual prohibitions, which include adultery, incest, bestiality and male homosexual intercourse.
  5. Prohibition of Blasphemy: You shall not blaspheme God's name.
  6. Dietary Law: Do not eat flesh taken from an animal while it is still alive. (Genesis 9:4)
  7. Requirement to have just Laws: You shall set up an effective judiciary to enforce the preceding six laws fairly.

Last edited:

Beaudreaux

According to a number of Jews they are indeed only for them, Gentiles being bound only by the laws given to Noah (Noahide Covenant.)

Not according to our boy Sandy here. He says that the rules God gave to the Jews in the OT only apply to Jews. He mentioned nothing of the Noahide rules.

Beaudreaux

Originally Posted by Beaudreaux
Not according to our boy Sandy here. He says that the rules God gave to the Jews in the OT only apply to Jews. He mentioned nothing of the Noahide rules.
With all due respect, I think it is you who is confused. You were quite clear about this in several posts:
Good thing I'm not Jewish, eh. Those commandment were predicated with, "Speak unto the children of Abraham..."
I'm not Jewish. What God told the Jews to do is not what He tells me to do.
God saw fit to deal with the children of Abraham differently than He did the rest of the world.
So, noahide schmoahide. You made it clear that the laws God gave the Jewish people in the O.T. do not apply to us. Confusion cleared up?

Last edited:

Arlanbb

Folks ~ don't you know the Genesis deluge [flood] never happened so there never was a Noah or any of his laws. I did a survey of over 300 archaeologist and not one of them has ever found any evidence of a Genesis type deluge covering the earth and some of the glaciers show that they are over 110,000 years old. If there had been a worldwide deluge the glaciers would have floated away and new ones would have started over but they didn't so no Noah's Deluge.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
With all due respect, I think it is you who is confused. You were quite clear about this in several posts:

So, noahide schmoahide. You made it clear that the laws God gave the Jewish people in the O.T. do not apply to us. Confusion cleared up?
Your still confused. I only refered to the laws given to the children of Abrahan that were previously referenced. Get it right before to go on a rant, pal.

Beaudreaux

Your still confused. I only refered to the laws given to the children of Abrahan that were previously referenced. Get it right before to go on a rant, pal.
So, it is only THOSE PARTICULAR laws that I "previously reference" that you reject because they were given to the children of Abraham. The OTHER laws given to the children of Abraham are also for you? Please clarify. If you want to post more than two or three sentences, that's fine with me. :)

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
So, it is only THOSE PARTICULAR laws that I "previously reference" that you reject because they were given to the children of Abraham. The OTHER laws given to the children of Abraham are also for you? Please clarify. If you want to post more than two or three sentences, that's fine with me. :)
The Mosaic laws are specific for the children of Abraham.