• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Many Gods Don't You Believe in?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
1689354843118.png

I saw some listing that said there were 4000+ that had some followers. Now or at one time.
How many of those 4000+ Gods don't you believe in and why don't you believe in them?

Having followed a few Gods, any one of them had the same reality of presence as the rest to me at the time. I decided that I simply wasn't knowledgeable to know which of any of the possible Gods were real and which were not. As I am as likely to pick a God who is not real as one who is why chance following the wrong God? Seemed better to me to not go about following any God out of ignorance.

So you say this God doesn't exist and this God does, because?

Myself, I couldn't find any reason to pick one God over the others. Maybe you have a better reason to pick one God from all of the rest to follow.

Eli G

How many really exist?
How many deserve my trust?
Which one is the One over all of them?

Audie

Veteran Member

I saw some listing that said there were 4000+ that had some followers. Now or at one time.
How many of those 4000+ Gods don't you believe in and why don't you believe in them?

Having followed a few Gods, any one of them had the same reality of presence as the rest to me at the time. I decided that I simply wasn't knowledgeable to know which of any of the possible Gods were real and which were not. As I am as likely to pick a God who is not real as one who is why chance following the wrong God? Seemed better to me to not go about following any God out of ignorance.

So you say this God doesn't exist and this God does, because?

Myself, I couldn't find any reason to pick one God over the others. Maybe you have a better reason to pick one God from all of the rest to follow.
My kitchen God exists.
At least his lil statue does.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
As I've previously stated, I don't believe that there is any kind of sufficient evidence for the existence of God or any other deity, for that matter. I don't entirely believe in the existence of gods because I haven't seen any evidence that fully convinces me of their existence. And while I practice Wicca, I will acknowledge that I lack sufficient empirical evidence or alleged evidence that any deities exist. Having said that, I choose to believe in the prospect of supernatural deities while recognizing that I can't prove or disprove their existence. I've always been interested in spirituality and supernatural beliefs, but I'm not willing to say that I'm absolutely certain, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the God of the Bible or other deities actually exist. I'm not all-knowing and all-powerful, and I can't be in all places at once or explore all of space and time. So, as far as I'm concerned, I can't honestly determine whether there is only one God, if there are other deities, or if there aren't any deities at all. Therefore, I'm an agnostic, not an atheist. I've made the decision that I don't need or want the biblical God in my life, and I feel that I'm better off without him. I'm also very content not to follow any deities at this point in my life.

Eli G

There is a Creator.

Since we were made "according to [our Creator] likeness", every intelligent human being can have an idea of the person of God by his own intelligent aptitudes and capacities. Our intelligence did not arise from any chaos: it is a copy of a greater Intelligence that created us according to its likeness.

Gen. 1:26 Then God said: “Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness, and let them have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and the domestic animals and all the earth and every creeping animal that is moving on the earth.” 27 And God went on to create the man in his image, in God’s image he created him; male and female he created them. 28 Further, God blessed them, and God said to them: “Be fruitful and become many, fill the earth and subdue it, and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving on the earth.”

That's the reason why some clueless humans believe they can be and act like gods.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
As I've previously stated, I don't believe that there is any kind of sufficient evidence for the existence of God or any other deity, for that matter. I don't entirely believe in the existence of gods because I haven't seen any evidence that fully convinces me of their existence. And while I practice Wicca, I will acknowledge that I lack sufficient empirical evidence or alleged evidence that any deities exist. Having said that, I choose to believe in the prospect of supernatural deities while recognizing that I can't prove or disprove their existence. I've always been interested in spirituality and supernatural beliefs, but I'm not willing to say that I'm absolutely certain, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the God of the Bible or other deities actually exist. I'm not all-knowing and all-powerful, and I can't be in all places at once or explore all of space and time. So, as far as I'm concerned, I can't honestly determine whether there is only one God, if there are other deities, or if there aren't any deities at all. Therefore, I'm an agnostic, not an atheist. I've made the decision that I don't need or want the biblical God in my life, and I feel that I'm better off without him. I'm also very content not to follow any deities at this point in my life.
Yeah, pretty much this ^^^^^

Eli G

In this interesting book Jehovah's Witness Governing Body shares with all the witnesses in the world an investigation into the search for God by human beings throughout history. In that book I learned many things about different ancient and modern religions.

In the Chapter 5 about Hinduism, it says:
1. (a) Describe some Hindu customs. (b) What are some differences between the Western outlook and the Hindu outlook?

WHAT is Hinduism? Is it just the oversimplified Western concept of venerating animals, bathing in the Ganges, and being divided by castes? Or is there more to it? The answer: There is much more. Hinduism is a different way of understanding life, to which Western values are totally alien. Westerners tend to see life as a chronological line of events in history. Hindus see life as a self-repeating cycle in which human history is of little importance.

2, 3. (a) Why is it difficult to define Hinduism? (b) How does one Indian writer explain Hinduism and polytheism?

2 It is no easy task to define Hinduism, since it has no definite creed, priestly hierarchy, or governing agency. However, it does have swamis (teachers) and gurus (spiritual guides). A broad definition of Hinduism given by one history book states that it is “the whole complex of beliefs and institutions that have appeared from the time when their ancient (and most sacred) scriptures, the Vedas, were composed until now.” Another one states: “We might say that Hinduism is adherence to or worship of the gods Vishnu, or Shiva [Siva], or the goddess Shakti, or their incarnations, aspects, spouses, or progeny.” That serves to include the cults of Rama and Krishna (incarnations of Vishnu), Durga, Skanda, and Ganesa (respectively the wife and sons of Siva). It is claimed that Hinduism has 330 million gods, yet it is said that Hinduism is not polytheistic. How can that be?

3 Indian writer A. Parthasarathy explains: “The Hindus are not polytheistic. Hinduism speaks of one God . . . The different gods and goddesses of the Hindu pantheon are mere representatives of the powers and functions of the one supreme God in the manifested world.”

4. What does the term “Hinduism” cover?

4 Hindus often refer to their faith as sanatana dharma, which means eternal law or order. Hinduism * is really a loose term that describes a host of religions and sects (sampradayas) that have developed and flourished over the millenniums under the umbrella of the complex ancient Hindu mythology. So intricate is that mythology that the New Larousse Encyclopedia of Mythology states: “Indian mythology is an inextricable jungle of luxuriant growths. When you enter it you lose the light of day and all clear sense of direction.” Nevertheless, this chapter will cover some of the features and teachings of that faith.

PureX

Veteran Member
None of them.

I try not to "believe in" things that I cannot possibly know to be so.

I like very much, though, the fact that humans have invented so many different conceptions of this great mystery of existence. And that we have been doing it since the dawn of our emergence as humans. I feel honored to be among such an imaginative and inquisitive species.

Audie

Veteran Member
None of them.

I try not to "believe in" things that I cannot possibly know to be so.

I like very much, though, the fact that humans have invented so many different conceptions of this great mystery of existence. And that we have been doing it since the dawn of our emergence as humans. I feel honored to be among such an imaginative and inquisitive species.
Even if one were correct-
Whats to like about such proliferation of supelrstitions?

Inquiring uo ten thousand empty trees is a colossal
waste of inquiry time.

Last edited:

EconGuy

It's My Birthday!
There is a Creator.
How do you know?
Since we were made "according to [our Creator] likeness"
How do you know?
every intelligent human being can have an idea of the person of God by his own intelligent aptitudes and capacities.
So the path to justifying one's understanding of god starts with belief?

If that's true, you could literally be justified believing in anything.
Our intelligence did not arise from any chaos:
How do you know?

Gen. 1:26 Then God said: “Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness, and let them have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and the domestic animals and all the earth and every creeping animal that is moving on the earth.” 27 And God went on to create the man in his image, in God’s image he created him; male and female he created them. 28 Further, God blessed them, and God said to them: “Be fruitful and become many, fill the earth and subdue it, and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving on the earth.”
Oh, the Bible tells you god exists and god exists because the bible says so?

The definition of circular reasoning.

This is not a path to truth.