• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How is the Truth determined?

whatisthetruth?

I've been trying to decide what the truth is. The two texts that have been drawn my attention are the Bible and the Quran. I am familiar with the stories so maybe that is why I feel as though there is truth in each book. But I cannot bring myself to say undoubtedly that either one is the Word of God. How can I know if either book is the Truth? How can anyone? I don't think it reasonable to say that one should rely on the feeling of it sounding true. For me they both feel true despite their sometimes conflicting messages.
I know there are other spiritual books and I have not given any time to reading them. Although I have not heard of anything that intrigues me as much as Christianity and Islam.
I am only just starting to really wonder about the world and the more I think about it I feel even more lost. What is going on in this world? I can't make out what I am supposed to be doing in my life. How do I determine what living as a True Human Being is? Hearing about conspiracy theories, the theory of evolution, claims of alien abductions and all types of ideas people have about how to live life, it's too much.....What, if any of it, is Real?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Read biographies and history. For History you may want to consider a good video series like the great courses, but in general focus on 2 things. Focus on your history and the line of history leading to you. Secondly learn a line of history that is completely independent of yours, such as Japan's.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
@whatisthetruth? welcome to RF.

You are to me asking the most fundamental question that anyone can ask. Some of us are asking that question and some have answers that satisfy us. We can all give you our opinion, but you have to answer that question for yourself in a way that makes the most possible sense to you.

My answer, for what it's worth, is that all the major religions and most of the small ones have elements of Truth, but none have all of it because Truth is beyond the knowing of the intellect as the story of the Blind Men and the Elephant illustrates. Add to that the normal human tendency to believe "my way is the best and only way" and there's a jumble.

When I was searching for a path in life, I read book after book and found myself attracted to the common principles I found such as the Golden Rule, the primacy of love/compassion, the importance of living up to my best understanding of the Truth and so forth.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I've been trying to decide what the truth is. The two texts that have been drawn my attention are the Bible and the Quran. I am familiar with the stories so maybe that is why I feel as though there is truth in each book. But I cannot bring myself to say undoubtedly that either one is the Word of God. How can I know if either book is the Truth? How can anyone? I don't think it reasonable to say that one should rely on the feeling of it sounding true. For me they both feel true despite their sometimes conflicting messages.
I know there are other spiritual books and I have not given any time to reading them. Although I have not heard of anything that intrigues me as much as Christianity and Islam.
I am only just starting to really wonder about the world and the more I think about it I feel even more lost. What is going on in this world? I can't make out what I am supposed to be doing in my life. How do I determine what living as a True Human Being is? Hearing about conspiracy theories, the theory of evolution, claims of alien abductions and all types of ideas people have about how to live life, it's too much.....What, if any of it, is Real?

Id say start with how you know god without referring to the bible and quran. Then decide whether you know this god personally you and him or will you know him better through someone else? Without referring to the bible and quran.

Is there more you want to know about god? As a person? As a spirit? As a being? Is he like you? different? No bible and quran.

Why do you like christianity? Why Islam? Make a list.

Finally, after all of that if you picked one which would you stay with even through beliefs that maybe far fetched? Which would you marry as oppossed to being only your friend?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The most effective and powerful means of inquiry that humanity has so far invented for arriving at truths are the scientific methods of inquiry.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

All great questions and all have an answer.

As for the Bible and the Koran -

"How can I know if either book is the Truth? How can anyone"?

They have been confirmed as the Word of God by Baha'u'llah. Baha'u'llah gave a Message from God starting publicly in 1863.

"...the words of the verses themselves eloquently testify to the truth that they are of God." (Bahá'u'lláh, The Kitáb-i-Iqan: The Book of Certitude) The Kitáb-i-Íqán | Bahá’í Reference Library

"What is going on in this world"?

Mankind as a whole has not realized that God has again given us a Message, a Message that called us to urgently find our Unity in the Mid 1800's.

“There is perfect brotherhood underlying humanity, for all are servants of one God and belong to one family under the protection of divine providence.” — ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

"How do I determine what living as a True Human Being is"?

This is the question we must answer for our selves. God has created us in His image and all we are can be found within us, by asking God from our heart and finding the answers given.

"He hath known God who hath known himself." (Bahá’u’lláh, Gleanings from the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 178)

What, if any of it, is Real?

What is real is our spiritual life. We are given this short life with the gift of free will so we can know and love God without compulsion. The choice to search for God must be of our own choice and based in justice.

"And now concerning thy question regarding the soul of man and its survival after death. Know thou of a truth that the soul, after its separation from the body, will continue to progress until it attaineth the presence of God, in a state and condition which neither the revolution of ages and centuries, nor the changes and chances of this world, can alter. It will endure as long as the Kingdom of God, His sovereignty, His dominion and power will endure. It will manifest the signs of God and His attributes, and will reveal His loving kindness and bounty...." Bahá'í Reference Library - Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, Pages 155-158

I am happy to chat about this.

Regards Tony

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
To me Truth is all great virtues, and every good meaning of innocent intention.

When I heard the words , " Be True" I think it means to be honest, and deserving, faithful to every good intention.

If I had to pick a word to describe truth, it would be 'deserve'.

Jumi

You're reading only two texts out of the millions humans have produced and think you can find truth this way?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You're reading only two texts out of the millions humans have produced and think you can find truth this way?

The Bible and Koran contain the Word of God as spoken by His Messengers.

There is a vast difference in its ability to attract and Unite the Souls of humanity over the writings of mere men.

Regards Tony

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Truth is determined by testing, modification of failed understanding, and persistence in the face of confusing evidence. learn as much as you can about every aspect of the situation you want to decide about and then weigh the evidence for yourself. Read history, read science, read literature, talk to others about their perspectives, find out where people went wrong in the past.

In essence, don't expect the truth to find you. Be active and honest with yourself and learn as much as possible about as much as possible.

And always hold your conclusions tentatively. it is always possible you missed something.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
what was useful as 'truth' today
may prove to be tomorrow's lie

you may quote me.....

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've been trying to decide what the truth is. The two texts that have been drawn my attention are the Bible and the Quran. I am familiar with the stories so maybe that is why I feel as though there is truth in each book. But I cannot bring myself to say undoubtedly that either one is the Word of God. How can I know if either book is the Truth? How can anyone?

Exactly. You cannot get truth from a holy book.

I don't mean that they contain no facts, just that what parts are factual has to be determined by consulting the reality outside of those books. Did a man named Moses ever actually exist? How can you decide? Certainly not using the book. How about King David? Here, we have some confirming evidence from archeology.

The point is that to call something true, it must correspond with reality. Truth for me is the quality that facts possess, facts being linguistic strings that accurately map some aspect of reality. Thus, one must consult nature to determine truth.

But don't get too stuck on the idea of truth, especially ideas like absolute or ultimate truth, ideas that lead to nothing. Look for the useful. If an idea can be used to successfully predict or control outcomes, it is a good idea. It doesn't need to be called true.

These ideas may be new to you:
  • Instrumentalism - belief that statements or theories may be used as tools for useful prediction without reference to their possible truth or falsity.
  • Empirical adequacy - A theory is empirically adequate if what it says about observable aspects of the world can be confirmed
Thus the measure of an idea is the efficacy of that idea in helping achieve desired outcomes. Forget notions like truth, certitude, and proof. In most cases, empirical adequacy is what we can have.

Here's another way of looking at this: We have desires and preferences, we make choices, and we experience the results of our choices (our sensory perceptions of the outcomes). If a person holds belief B that some action A will produce desired result D, and doing A will consistently achieve D, then if B is empirically adequate, and can provisionally be considered true, or as close to correct as we can be at that time.

If action A fails to achieve desired result D, or doesn't succeed as often as an alternative belief, then belief B should be replaced by the belief that works better.

So what are you looking for when consulting holy books?

Facts? You won't get them there. Facts come from properly interpreting evidence physical evidence.

Ultimate or transcendent truths? You won't get those anywhere, notwithstanding the claims of the throngs. They're guessing.

Comfort, a sense of place or purpose, or moral grounding? Go with whatever best provides that. That would be using empirical adequacy. If a belief works for you, it's a keeper. The word truth never need come up.

Good luck in your journey.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But I cannot bring myself to say undoubtedly that either one is the Word of God. How can I know if either book is the Truth?
Why are you making that the question? Truth, with a capital T is found in many things, in many books, in many stories, in many ideas, in many expressions of art, and so forth. Why do you need it to be external to yourself, absolute and authoritative? If you set that as the standards, nothing will measure up. You're looking for God as an extension of your idea of what you want God to be. That's the first place to start looking to find that Truth you seek. Don't view Truth as something outside yourself.

How do I determine what living as a True Human Being is?
Easy answer. Start living it. The hard part is knowing how, and that is where knowing where to look for Truth begins. Go inside. God is already there.

Hearing about conspiracy theories, the theory of evolution, claims of alien abductions and all types of ideas people have about how to live life, it's too much.....What, if any of it, is Real?
Look inside. Realize all of it is illusion. Let go. Then you will find Truth.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Honestly, I find that truth is decided by the individual. Truth is whatever you accept as truth cause you're going to act as if it were true. As far as God, there's no one who is going to prove you're wrong about God, there's no one going to prove you're right.

Just decide which makes sense to you and accept it as true, because if you're looking for certainty, you're not going to find it. Man creates his own truth, always has and always will. Man just likes to feel there is some objectivity to truth. Maybe there is but man will never possess it.

socharlie

Neither of them is the Word of God but just guides how to find God within yourself. Islam says that it accepts wisdom given to Abraham and Jesus and is not anything new. The Golden Rule rules.