• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How gravity waves collision makes a black hole?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Sources:

Gravitational Waves Pose a Bizarre New Threat That Could Destroy Earth

[1807.11562] Black Hole Formation from the Collision of Plane-Fronted Gravitational Waves

Problem:
Gravitational waves are flying in the vacuum. Because are vacuum solutions of General Relativity,
Black Holes aren't vacuum solutions: the matter is compressed in the center r=0.
So, how the matter is created in waves collision? Do we need divine miracle of Creation?
This looks like tripe, at least in part. Einstein never had a vacuum field theory. So whoever wrote this up doesn't seem to know what he or she is talking about and is highly likely to have garbled the rest.

HonestJoe

Do we need divine miracle of Creation?
I don’t pretend to understand the physics you reference but I still feel confident in answering your question; No. Whatever the answers to these questions, there doesn’t need to be a creator, if there was a creator, it isn’t necessarily divine (by any conventional definition) and if there was an act of creation, it can’t have been a literal miracle by definition (miracle means something that can’t happen after all). :cool:

questfortruth

I don’t pretend to understand the physics you reference but I still feel confident in answering your question; No. Whatever the answers to these questions, there doesn’t need to be a creator, if there was a creator, it isn’t necessarily divine (by any conventional definition) and if there was an act of creation, it can’t have been a literal miracle by definition (miracle means something that can’t happen after all). :cool:
Definition:
Miracle is action through Free Will.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Sources:

Gravitational Waves Pose a Bizarre New Threat That Could Destroy Earth

[1807.11562] Black Hole Formation from the Collision of Plane-Fronted Gravitational Waves

Problem:
Gravitational waves are flying in the vacuum. Because are vacuum solutions of General Relativity,
Black Holes aren't vacuum solutions: the matter is compressed in the center r=0.
So, how the matter is created in waves collision? Do we need divine miracle of Creation?

This is more hype than anything else. The authors did a simulation of what would happen if incredibly energetic gravitational waves were to focus at a single point.

Now, waves of this strength are not even formed in collisions of black holes, and the waves we have detected so far are many orders of magnitude smaller than in this simulation.

The upshot: nothing to worry about. I'd put the risk of a nearby gamma ray burster as much higher. Such would sterilize the planet instantly.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
This is more hype than anything else. The authors did a simulation of what would happen if incredibly energetic gravitational waves were to focus at a single point.

Now, waves of this strength are not even formed in collisions of black holes, and the waves we have detected so far are many orders of magnitude smaller than in this simulation.

The upshot: nothing to worry about. I'd put the risk of a nearby gamma ray burster as much higher. Such would sterilize the planet instantly.
Or, you know, climate change...

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
I wonder if this article was written in "response" to this article.

“Beyond Comprehension!” –Collision of Two Supermassive Black Holes Will Dwarf the LIGO Gravitational-Wave Discovery (Today’s Most Popular) | The Daily Galaxy

There are others, but soon in a decade or so two supermassive blackholes will be merging/colliding into each other and the result could be devastating, or not... we won't know till it happens/. I am not an astro-physicist by any measure, but you know whatever happens happen, we can only observe it. If you wanna pray? pray if that floats your boat.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Problem:
There really isn't a vacuum in space because of dark matter and dark energy, according to mathematical projections.

Secondly, both matter and energy are composed on subatomic particles, and light, to use an example, often goes back and forth between a wave (energy) and matter (such as in a laser) and sometimes both at the same time.

questfortruth

There really isn't a vacuum in space because of dark matter and dark energy, according to mathematical projections.

Secondly, both matter and energy are composed on subatomic particles, and light, to use an example, often goes back and forth between a wave (energy) and matter (such as in a laser) and sometimes both at the same time.
The General Relativity has no "space-time to matter" solutions.

questfortruth

Don't you believe we all have free will? By that definition, everything any of us do is a miracle and thus there is no need for a divine creator. :cool:
The human, who perform Free Will actions do perform miracles. That is why the tossing of a coin is the True randomness (just one in QM). But from that does not follow atheism. Follows Theism. God is the source of Free Will.

HonestJoe

The human, who perform Free Will actions do perform miracles. That is why the tossing of a coin is the True randomness (just one in QM). But from that does not follow atheism. Follows Theism. God is the source of Free Will.
You've made an unsupported leap of logic from free will to the existence of the specific god you believe in. I'm not making an argument for atheism, I'm making an argument for "we don't know".

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The General Relativity has no "space-time to matter" solutions.
You're conflating two different things that only connect indirectly.

When there's a nuclear explosion, what happens is a change from a source of matter (usually uranium) that then becomes largely energy. What allows for that is that all matter consists of subatomic particles in a highly condensed form, whereas the subatomic particles the make up energy are then released and expand rapidly during the "explosion".

With Brane Theory, huge "membranes of energy" may rub against each other and spin off a relative speck that could be the beginning of a universe, plus it is at least hypothetically possible this can also happen with a black hole, according to at least some cosmologists.

An excellent but very technical book that covers various hypotheses on the BB is "The Universe Before the Big Bang: Cosmology and String Theory" by Maurizio Gasperini.

Last edited:

questfortruth

You've made an unsupported leap of logic from free will to the existence of the specific god you believe in. I'm not making an argument for atheism, I'm making an argument for "we don't know".
Word "God" is the Name of God. There is only one God, others are idols.