• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does your MBTI type or Personality effect your spirituality?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I've had more than one Rabbi who was INTJ. INTJ's make great clergy. However, they make good atheists as well. I find that they are simply very rational and objective about what they believe rather than touchy feely; for example, most distrust the "personal experience" stuff.

I note the respectful spelling of Hashem, and that you have made other Jewish posts. It's very nice to meet you.

I think I'm the only active Noahide on this forum :)

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Wonderful! I'm an observnant Jew, but I'm really into comparative religion, so it makes me an odd one.
I heard you are a messianic. If that's the case, know that I will argue against your beliefs with rigour - but that doesn't mean we can't be friends ;) I argue from, usually, an Ultra-Orthodox point of view.

ChanaR

I heard you are a messianic. If that's the case, know that I will argue against your beliefs with rigour - but that doesn't mean we can't be friends ;) I argue from, usually, an Ultra-Orthodox point of view.
Oh, confession time. I have contacted the forum about this in fact. My roommate opened this account and got bored with it, because there is no activity on the MJ forum. I used it to lurk, and gave into the temptation to post. She let me use it, and I changed the religion to "ask me." Then I felt guilty because it wasn't 100% honest, and would create confusion for anyone who read her early posts. I've asked the forum if it's better for me to delete her posts, or if I should just open a new account. Each solution has it's drawbacks.

I am open enough to believe that Rabbi Yeshua was a special guy, but I don't think he was Hashem.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You're right. Google is your friend. You can find all sorts of studies, such as:

Validity of both Forms M and Q has been examined through behavioral observations, exploratory and confirmatory factor analyses, correlations with related measures, and even brain scans. For instance:
  • Introverts spend significantly more time than Extraverts conducting “heads down” work, while Extraverts spend significantly more time doing work in open areas (Schaubhut, Thompson, & O’Hara, 2008)
  • Intuitives express significantly greater interest in Artistic occupations than Sensors (O’Hara, Thompson, Donnay, Morris, & Schaubhut, 2006)
  • Thinkers score significantly higher than Feelers on dominance, while Feelers score significantly higher on nurturance (Quenk, Hammer, & Majors, 2001)
  • Judgers score significantly higher than Perceivers on order, while Perceivers score significantly higher on change (Quenk, Hammer, & Majors, 2001)

In fact, a research database maintained by the Center for Applications of Psychological Type (CAPT) lists more than 10,000 articles, books, and chapters relevant to the study of psychological type. Today, the MBTI assessment is available in 21 languages, with more translations and international research efforts in development. With its long and distinguished history, it continues to be used by people around the world to improve individual and team performance, explore careers, and reduce workplace conflict. Through these and other applications, the MBTI assessment is playing a part in the vision laid out by Briggs and Myers, helping people understand and appreciate themselves and others.

History Reliability and Validity of the Myers-Briggs | CPP
That’s not a study; that’s marketing material from people selling MBTI testing services.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
So, this thread was started to ask people about their MBTI and spirituality, not to debate the premise.

But RFians gonna RF.

ChanaR

@Rival
May I ask, did you think I was Messianic because you read one of my roommate's posts, or because you were sent a PM about me? Just curious if gossip is going around.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
@Rival
May I ask, did you think I was Messianic because you read one of my roommate's posts, or because you were sent a PM about me? Just curious if gossip is going around.
Haha no, I was using 'I heard' in a general sense. I read the posts and your title.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I believe my spirituality is highly effected by my personality.

The MBTI types me as an Introverted iNtuitive Feeling Judging sort (INFJ). This type has at different times been called the Counselor, the Advocate, the Confidant, and the Ethicist. We are the rarest of the 16 personalities, and the hardest to get to know -- we are often referred to as mysterious. If you google INFJ I guarantee everything you read will fit me like a glove; you'll know more about me in five minutes than most people in real life know about me in years. Famous INFJ's are Mahatma Ghandi, Martin Luther King Jr., Jung, Dostoyevski, Jimmy Carter... The most famous fictitious INFJ is problem Lisa Simpson. As you can see, we are all idealists who care a great deal about our fellow human beings.
I don't really care what people say about the accuracy of MBTIs. I'm an ISFJ and it describes me to a T. And I agree that our spirituality is affected by our personality. Well-known ISFJs include: Jimmy Carter, Barbara Bush, Mother Teresa and Kate Middleton. (I noticed that you have indicated a INFJ type for Jimmy Carter. More than likely, he has never actually been tested, but it would be interesting to know which of us is right about him.)

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
So did my links.

Dig a bit deeper: the people telling you that MBTI is wonderful are selling you something.
Does that make it wrong, though? Pop psychology is not always wrong just because it's 'pop'. Learning about oneself and one's behaviours can help, and if this works for them, what's the problem?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Does that make it wrong, though?

No; that’s not why it’s wrong.

Pop psychology is not always wrong just because it's 'pop'.
It isn’t wrong because it’s “pop;” it’s wrong (to a high degree) because it’s been studied to death and found to be invalid.

Learning about oneself and one's behaviours can help, and if this works for them, what's the problem?
The problem isn’t with the “learning about your behaviours part;” it’s with the “you’re permanently stuck in one of sixteen boxes” part and the “let’s deny you a job you’re qualified to do because, on the day you took the test, you scored as a different personality type than what we decided we want” part.

Just look at this thread: MBTI is only slightly more valid than a horoscope, but @ChanaR is using it to guide his relationship with his god.

ChanaR

The MBTI is not Pop psychology. I was typed going to a professional PhD in Psychology for premarital counseling. Not only was it the first time in my life that I was given a description that actually captured my essence, but it really did help me understand my fiance.

Milton Platt

Being concerned with things beyond the physical or material. It has a lot to do with meaning, with the Why of our individual existence. Some people find it in the transcendent experience of worship. Others find it in something simple, such as being a dancer, or gazing at the stars. Even an atheist can develop a deity free spirituality. This is a very, very open ended OP.

Thanks. Your reply demonstrates the problem I have with the word "spirituality". It can mean virtually anything.

Audie

Veteran Member
I imagine it would take a great deal of intuition and imagination to discover calculus.
I am so unmathematical, I cannot at
all imagine how it was done.

I do, though, know someone who'd not taken
any calculus in high school, but, finding there
were calculus questions on the SAT test figured
out how to solve them during the test.

I was, am, in awe.

Jumi

I got INTJ last time I tested. I don't trust MBTI to tell me about my personality though, so it doesn't affect my spirituality in any real way.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The MBTI is not Pop psychology. I was typed going to a professional PhD in Psychology for premarital counseling. Not only was it the first time in my life that I was given a description that actually captured my essence, but it really did help me understand my fiance.
If you say so. It wouldn’t be the first time that a psychologist used a technique that didn’t have a solid basis in research... or the first time a patient reported feeling better after a dubious treatment.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
So, this thread was started to ask people about their MBTI and spirituality, not to debate the premise.

But RFians gonna RF.
It's this general acceptance of these personality "tests," and putting a great deal of stock into them, without even bothering to first see if they are any good and measuring things in a meaningful way. And, worse yet, is unchallenged acceptance of what is truly rubbish, to the point even some employers administer this junk science test for hiring decisions. This garbage should be challenged as readily and quickly as other junk ideas such as YEC.
Yes, it is pseudo-science. Psychology is my field, and it's vastly inferior to the ones such as the MMPI. One of the biggest problems for Meyers-Briggs is how it puts people into a strict dichotomy, but that really isn't how people work. Such as, most people display both introverted and extroverted features.