• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does Jesus free Christians from the Mosaic Law?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Can you show us what was there before the mosaic law? At least in the mosaic law we have written evidence. We have a timeline. We have a written law code.
What do we have prior to that?
There were the Noachide Laws, but even the simple fact that there were Laws at all that were from God implies that morality was being taught. If not, then how does one explain how Abraham and Noah could be "righteous".

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
No, not only is that wrong, but it is also not what I said. You have created another straw man. The Passover sacrifice was one particular expression commanded of the Jewish people. But other people can (in fact, according to Jewish law, MUST) worship God. One does not have to "submit to a priesthood" (which, btw, makes no sense in Judaism...just another invention) to recognize and worship.

only the priests and levites could offer the sacrfices and carry the utensils and holy things of the temple, no one else. And when someone who was not a priest tried to offer sacrifices in worship, God was very displeased and in like in the case with King Saul, he has his kingship removed and his favor with God ended.
1Sam 13:8 He continued waiting for seven days until the designated* time that Samuel had set, but Samuel did not come to Gil′gal, and the people were scattering from him. 9 Finally Saul said: “Bring to me the burnt sacrifice and the communion sacrifices.” And he offered up the burnt sacrifice...13 At this Samuel said to Saul: “You have acted foolishly. You have not obeyed the commandment that Jehovah your God gave you.+ If you had, Jehovah would have made your kingdom firm over Israel forever. 14 But now your kingdom will not last.+ Jehovah will find a man agreeable to his heart,..'

No, that's where YOU have it wrong. You see, these are concepts from within Judaism. Your understanding, as it is from outside Judaism, is flat out wrong in its characterization of Judaism and Jewish law.

all these concepts come from the Hebrew scriptures. Perhaps it is Judaism which is not in harmony with the Hebrew scriptures.

rosends

only the priests and levites could offer the sacrfices and carry the utensils and holy things of the temple, no one else.

Yes, but that doesn't mean that no one else could bring the sacrifice, just that the priest did the actual deed. And since the "priest" was only someone from a small group of families this proves that one did not need to be a priest to connect with the divine, or else how could the other 10 plus tribes worship? You just proved my point. The Levites had other responsibilities and limitations (as did priests). Your argument would be tantamount to saying that no one can be healthy because only certain people are doctors.
And when someone who was not a priest tried to offer sacrifices in worship, God was very displeased and in like in the case with King Saul, he has his kingship removed and his favor with God ended.
God lost his connection with Saul for other reasons, especially the issue with Agag. You should also read up on the Bamot, on which people could offer private sacrifices.
all these concepts come from the Hebrew scriptures. Perhaps it is Judaism which is not in harmony with the Hebrew scriptures.
Perhaps Judaism just understands them better than you and maybe you just don't understand Judaism.
--------edit-------------

I'm waiting for you to bring up Ex 19:6...

Last edited:

roger1440

I do stuff
Can you show us what was there before the mosaic law? At least in the mosaic law we have written evidence. We have a timeline. We have a written law code.
Apart from what is actually written in Genesis about the Noahide laws, what evidence do we have prior to that?

The very existence of the Israelites prior to the Mosaic Law proves there was something that bound them together.

roger1440

I do stuff
well it surely wasnt the mosaic law. That was not instituted until the time of Moses.
The Mosaic Law didn't create the Israelites. They must have had something going on before Moses entered the picture. This something at the very least would have been oral stories.

"God also said to Moses, "Say to the Israelites, 'The LORD, the God of your fathers--the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob--has sent me to you.' "This is my name forever, the name you shall call me from generation to generation."