1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured How do you view God?

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by Neo Deist, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Neo Deist

Neo Deist Th.D. & D.Div.

Ratings:
    +1,910
    Religion:
    Deism
    Note: I use masculine pronouns out of habit and for ease of writing.

How do you view God? Can you describe Him and what He looks like? Have you ever given it some serious thought? I doubt God is a white male with long flowing hair and crystal blue eyes. That, to me, is a biased human construct.

I do not view God as an immortal human father figure, living in the sky, and complete with all the anatomical male body parts. If anything, I view God an an incorporeal "force," perhaps energy, that is transcendent. I can't give any physical descriptions for God, because I (to my knowledge) have never seen God.

• Like Like x 1
  2. lewisnotmiller

lewisnotmiller Grand Hat
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,849
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I can't really respond to the OP, but a question for you...do you assign sentience and intelligence to God? Some sort of motivation or direction?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Fool

Fool Active Member

Ratings:
    +81
    Religion:
    Exclusively no thing, inclusively everything NuK Pu Nuk
    god is a spirit, an action, a force.

it has no attributes because it doesn't take a specific form but creates all forms from the formless Absolute

4. beenherebeforeagain

beenherebeforeagain Rogue Animist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,628
    Religion:
    Modern Animist
    Ummm...from a safe distance, and through #14 welding glass?:p

Seriously, I cannot comprehend a universal deity given what current science suggests about the size and contents of the universe.

I cannot comprehend an entity of any sort that could encompass and order all the happenings on Earth, or the solar system, or the galaxy, either...I've learned how to use powers of 10 to compare relative sizes, but even by analogy, it's nothing but a vague understanding, obviously incomplete...

Now then, there might be lesser deities (only a few orders of magnitude larger/more powerful than me and what I can reasonably comprehend), but frankly, even a single tree, much less a thunderstorm, is really stretching my ability to understand and experience...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Neo Deist

Neo Deist Th.D. & D.Div.

Ratings:
    +1,910
    Religion:
    Deism
    As a human, I have the tendency to assign human like characteristics to God, to include sentience and intelligence. I think that has more to do with my upbringing as a Baptist, and being told that God created us in His image, Jesus was His divine son (human), etc. But then I remember my position on religion (deism) and quickly dismiss those humanesque (that a word?) concepts. All I can say is that I believe in God because I see design and purpose, not randomness. I attribute that design and purpose to God. It ends there. I can't tell you one thing about God, as I have never met It.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. psychoslice

psychoslice Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,388
    Religion:
    my own religion
    I don't like the word god myself, I see all as One, the Source of all and we are also that Source, but sadly we separate ourselves from he Source and then make up religions to get back to the Source.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Neo Deist

Neo Deist Th.D. & D.Div.

Ratings:
    +1,910
    Religion:
    Deism
    I thought you were talking about The Matrix for a minute there... :p

8. George-ananda

George-ananda Advaita and Spiritualist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,363
    Religion:
    Advaita and Spiritualist
    How do you view God?

I view God as the infinite Consciousness. The Consciousness that animates everything in the universe. God is even in us experiencing finite consciousness.

9. Neophyte365

Neophyte365 New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Religion:
    Spiritual Deism
    I imagine God in a physical form sometimes for comfort, and it can take a variety of forms depending on what most appeals to my imagination in that moment. Last night as I was falling asleep, I was imagining God as a giant tiger I could curl up with and sleep next to.

The image is just a fantasy to me, and it has no metaphysical significance.

10. Carlita

Carlita The Unveiled Artist

Ratings:
    +3,190
    Religion:
    Creative Expression
    I don't use the word god; but, my environmental influence, well, forces me to see everything spiritual through the eyes of god and jesus in one way or another.

To put it simply: God is energy. God is life. God is form and what forms. God is everything and everyone.

God IS.

As for personification of what drives life, the closest to that is giving reverence to our natural environment as well as getting to know my family, others, and my place in helping society as a whole within the career I'm taking up.

I can't imagine a spirit who was not once a human body or have any foundation such as a stream or even a chair, so be it. Spirit without the foundation is like trying to make the river stream from a non-existent ocean. Or make the sun shine with no actual sun. Things like that.

God is the relationship with have this earth, people, and ourselves.

This is close to how I'd summarize it from a biblical perspective

Keeping the Faith (Movie)

"Faith is a feeling. Faith is a hunch, really.
    It's a hunch that there is something bigger connecting it all...
    connecting us all together. And that feeling, that hunch, is God."

The best one is

God is the food we eat, the water we drink, the air we breathe, the earth we trod and died on. In the speak we spoke. In the dreams we drempt. In the everywhere and the everything. ~Albert Wendt (In many cultures, there is no word for god. It isn't because god isn't there. It's because he's assumed. He's self-existent. God is so present in everyday life that God IS life itself. ~Anne Wilson Shaef)

Native Wisdom for White Minds.

11. psychoslice

psychoslice Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,388
    Religion:
    my own religion
    No, that is something that became trendy after the movie, nothing like I believe, well not that I know of ?.

12. savagewind

savagewind Something, not nothing
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,636
    I think God is about knowing.
    I trust that I have seen God with my mind's eye.
    I am sure God can look like anything.
    I have given much thought to what Genesis 1:27 might mean. I do not know what it means yet.

13. lovesong

lovesong .little necromancer. .shaman in training.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,349
    Religion:
    Polytheist & Occultist
    Can god be plural here?

14. Neo Deist

Neo Deist Th.D. & D.Div.

Ratings:
    +1,910
    Religion:
    Deism
    God is defined by the individual, so if you are polytheistic, by all means. :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. lovesong

lovesong .little necromancer. .shaman in training.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,349
    Religion:
    Polytheist & Occultist
    Then I view the gods as very real, physical beings. They are flawed and have individual personalities just like us, only they have more control over their world than us. They are the most powerful class of sentient being, but they are not omni-anything. They can mildly control the situations of the earth, they can influence weather if they choose, they can help us as humans if we ask for it. Just as we, with our emotions and words, can influence the actions and emotions of others without them realizing it, and we, with our power as humans, can try to change the course of history, so can they, but to a greater degree. They cannot snap their fingers and change the world, but they can influence it to be the way they want, just like we can.

16. Terese

Terese ॐ ātmā na deho'smi viṣṇu-śeṣo-parigrahaḥ
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,862
    Religion:
    Śrī Vaiṣṇava
    I view Him as a friend, one who will always stay, and knows what's best for me :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Watchmen

Watchmen Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +354
    In CinemaScope.

18. Reggie Miller

Reggie Miller Active Member

Ratings:
    +126
    Religion:
    Christian
  19. Windwalker

Windwalker Embrace Reality. Start seeing Metaphors.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,930
    Religion:
    Love, Light, and Life
    What I am curious about is why if you've had no experience of this, do you question it? Can you explain?

20. Neo Deist

Neo Deist Th.D. & D.Div.

Ratings:
    +1,910
    Religion:
    Deism
    Deism is all about logic and rational deduction. I believe in God, but do not believe that God is corporeal. Therefore, God would be incorporeal and best described as a force, whether it be energy or something else. It is how I rationalize a deity that is omnipresent. That same deity defies the laws of nature/physics in that It does need oxygen, an atmosphere, gravity, etc...hence transcendent.