• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how do you feel when threatened with Hell?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Hell in the terms of fire and brimstone, it's just too fantastical to even consider in the first place.

I mean we all know fire or even nuclear fusion like that of the sun requires fuel , and the thought that it's some magical type eternal flame that never goes out is just way too much to ever take seriously in the real world.
Jesus brought out that God can destroy body and soul in Gehenna. Some translations say hell there. But the point is that if the body and soul is destroyed, what's left? Nothing. No feeling, no consciousness.
Matthew 10:28. "And be not in fear by reason of them that are killing the body,—And the soul are not able to kill. But fear rather him who is able both soul and body to destroy in gehenna!"
So if God can destroy the soul, how can the person feel anything?

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Considering that the initial warning in the Bible was placed to Adam, he was not threatened with what some make 'hell' out to be -- rather he was told if he ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, he would die. So would you think there is a difference between that (death) and hellfire?

Are you saying that Adam faced annihilation upon death? Does everyone face annihilation or just some people? Are you an annihilationist?

What are your thoughts on all the parts of the Bible describes a place of fiery, eternal torment?

Revelation 20:10 -

And the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

Or that people will absolutely go there, too

Matthew 25:32-41 -

32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

Who is eligible for this eternal torment?

Matthew 5:21 -

But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.

Revelation 20:15 -

And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Seems rather cut and dried to me, personally

Rational Agnostic

How do you feel when people threaten you with Hell?

For me it brings about an enormous sense of superiority

I think it's supposed to scare me

It really doesn't

As a child, I used to fear hell a lot and constantly worry I had committed the unpardonable sin. At this point in my life, I don't care--I don't know if any god exists or not and I can't pretend to be certain a god exists when I'm not. If there's a god out there who wants to send me to hell for this uncertainty, then there's nothing I can do about it and no point wasting my life worrying about it. If someone "threatened" me with hell for not complying with what they wanted, I would find it amusing and I probably wouldn't be able to contain laughter.

muhammad_isa

Whee! What fun a "loving" God can be! :cool:
Haven't you heard? Sarcasm is the lowest from of wit. :expressionless:

Faith is in two parts .. the hope in G-d's Infinite Mercy, and the fear of His wrath.

G-d is not a person, per se .. so we can visualise the above as roughly meaning
that the consequences of good deeds is nothing but good, and we should be serious in
trying to avoid bad deeds, as the consequence is nothing but bad.

..nobody wants to be in pain, either mentally or physically..

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Faith is in two parts .. the hope in G-d's Infinite Mercy, and the fear of His wrath.

that the consequences of good deeds is nothing but good, and we should be serious in

In your opinion.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

And haven't you heard? "Infinite" actually has a meaning. And if I have to fear his wrath, then his mercy can run out -- and is consequently not infinite.

Which means that your opinion, above, is flawed, and thus obviously human.

Colt

It really doesn't
Threats of Hell demonstrate the level of ignorance that any agent of revelation is faced with coming into this savage world!

Muffled

Jesus in me

It really doesn't
Perhaps it isn't as scary as some writers have tried to make it appear but it still is a bad choice in my opinion.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I feel nothing for the most part. I occasionally get excited and even enthusiastic. But mostly I feel nothing.

I believe in the void or an abyss. It's basically just a darkened forest. I love forests, day or night.
I believe the problem is that believing doesn't make it so or I would be wealthy.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Preach about what, heaven?
I only ever said I believe in an afterlife, I never said it was going to be like the Christian heaven.
When did I say that your heaven is like the Christian heaven. You have your own kind of heaven, and you believe in afterlife for which you have no evidence other than the supposed writing of the uneducated 19th Century Iranian.
Now, hardly any one here knows Persian, and no one has the time to read and translate what he wrote. We have to go by the translations given out by Shoghi with all its careths and hateths or that of your House of Justice.

muhammad_isa

"Infinite" actually has a meaning. And if I have to fear his wrath, then his mercy can run out -- and is consequently not infinite.

Which means that your opinion, above, is flawed, and thus obviously human.
Humans are flawed, in that they take things out of context, in order to please themselves. :tired:

You are saying that "a loving God" is not "loving" because we might suffer .. right?
Turning away from God, on such a premise, achieves nothing.

Reality is reality .. G-d or no god. I believe that G-d does not WANT us to suffer.
..but points out that we will, if we don't heed His guidance.