• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how do you feel when threatened with Hell?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sounds like the idea is more about controlling people than a concern for truth

I'm not scared, there is no reason for me to fear God

Who does such an idea benefit? Quite clearly certain religious authorities. I rest my case.
Part of it is to control yes, because God is the King of mankind and all lands on earth, whether people think otherwise or not.

However, another part is to save us from his wrath and retributive justice. Quran is a healing. People are quite insane to chase petty things instead of craving God. They don't harm God, but God creates with truth, and they become overwhelmingly evil and lost.

When a soul is bold and does not fear God, the Quran acknowledges that warning them won't make them believe.

The ball is in their court, and God does not change what is in a people until they change what is in themselves.

Fearing God is humbly acknowledging justice. That's all it comes down to. Examination of justice will make us fear God.

People project their caprice unto God - calling him a monster if he punishes them. They think God has to accept who they have chosen to be.

It's us who have to accept God not the other way.

rufusbucher

When threatened with Hell, I experience a profound sense of superiority. The attempt to evoke fear through such threats doesn't genuinely scare me; instead, it reinforces a feeling of elevated self-assurance.

Bthoth

*banned*
How do you feel when people threaten you with Hell?

For me it brings about an enormous sense of superiority

I think it's supposed to scare me

It really doesn't
as soon as hearing it, i comprehend the christian foundation and methodology.

The inquisitions used the same ugly hatred and condemnations. they ended up extinct too.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Hel? No big deal. We all end up there.

I never believed in hell as put forth by some before I studied the Bible or became an atheist. In other words, I thought it was not true and a concoction of men. Now I am not an atheist but it has taken me time to read, study and understand the Bible. And now I know the truth about hell. Matthew 10:28 Because God, who has the right to decide life or -- eternal death -- gives this information through his Son, Jesus Christ, as I believe it is the truth.
There's more, but this is important to understand.

Berean Literal Bible
And you should not be afraid of those killing the body but not being able to kill the soul. Indeed rather you should fear the One being able to destroy both soul and body in Gehenna.
King James Bible
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Like what Orbit said, superstitious, indoctrinated people (or smart people trying to fool others for their benefit or ego).

MonkeyFire

Yes, hell is scary. The thought of being a demon can not be tolerated. The sight of the devil will make you feel things previously not known to mankind.

Remember, if you rebel against God, you are the problem (on evil) from before.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
When threatened with hell, what I feel most is that it is what the person making the threat wishes for me -- that it is violent, vengeful and tells me more about the person making the threat than it does anything about gods or religion.

Frankly, that both saddens and angers me. Especially since the threatener, when confronted with what I just said, will rush to hide behind "oh, it's not what I want, it's what God wants."

Bull. Own it.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Yes, hell is scary. The thought of being a demon can not be tolerated. The sight of the devil will make you feel things previously not known to mankind.

Remember, if you rebel against God, you are the problem (on evil) from before.

So I have to believe what you believe or suffer?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
When threatened with hell, what I feel most is that it is what the person making the threat wishes for me -- that it is violent, vengeful and tells me more about the person making the threat than it does anything about gods or religion.

Frankly, that both saddens and angers me. Especially since the threatener, when confronted with what I just said, will rush to hide behind "oh, it's not what I want, it's what God wants."

Bull. Own it.

The one that angers me is when they claim to be saying it out of love.

muhammad_isa

When threatened with hell, what I feel most is that it is what the person making the threat wishes for me..
Why use the word "threat"?
What is wrong with a warning?

i.e. like that of a parent warning their child of the consequences of disobedience

We understand that if we scold ourselves with boiling oil, it will be painful..
..it is a consequence.
Hell is a similar thing .. the consequence of sin, but many do not perceive.
They see it as a threat, rather than a warning, and take it literally..
..but mental pain can be as gruesome as physical pain. :eek:

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Pretty much this ^^^^^

For me, the first thing to go before the journey of venturing outside of christianity was the fear of hell. It just doesn't make any real logical sense
Considering that the initial warning in the Bible was placed to Adam, he was not threatened with what some make 'hell' out to be -- rather he was told if he ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, he would die. So would you think there is a difference between that (death) and hellfire?