• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you feel about the DC Comic figure Batman becoming an atheist?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't care whether the superhero character in a movie is an atheist, theist, deist, Christian, etc. Just care about seeing a good movie with good animation. Who has time to care about the religious beliefs of a fictional character?

I agree to a point, but the religion of Daredevil (for example) was important to how the character viewed both the world and his own actions.

Jedster

Yeah, he was not exactly an altar boy previously.
What could possibly give you that Idea:
2151020-batman-Odyssey-2-1.jpg

In early Batman comics he was shooting people all the time.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Most comics came out of New York 80 years ago and many form Jewish writers who had high values... so what might it mean for the same comic figures moving away from Biblical values? or is he?
- plenty of Jews are atheists.

- the fact that you equate being an atheist with not having “high values” says more about your prejudices than about anything else.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Most comics came out of New York 80 years ago and many form Jewish writers who had high values... so what might it mean for the same comic figures moving away from Biblical values? or is he?
It depends upon what happens in the story. Whats changed is supermans willingness to kill and batmans.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

There were some strong secular influences on Batman 1.0, including freemasonry. But yeah, Batman was fairly atheist superhero to begin with, so . . . we know he hates the god Superman! :)

Shad

Veteran Member

As long as he doesn't turn into an anti-theist outlet for writers I have no issue. I was never into the comics anyways.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Batman had Biblical values? ... Really?
I fail to see how any superhero has ever exhibited “Biblical values;” almost by definition, they all go against Jesus’s advice in Matthew 6:25-34 by taking it upon themselves to concern themselves with the needs of the world.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I think they have, but very inconsistently. Still, at the least atheism would be different. Dawkins couldn't compare God to Neptune for one, since Neptune might be chillin' in the studio audience.
Lmao I'm now imagining Dawkins doing a book signing for "The God delusion" with various non Abrahamic deities among the crowd.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
There were some strong secular influences on Batman 1.0, including freemasonry. But yeah, Batman was fairly atheist superhero to begin with, so . . . we know he hates the god Superman! :)
I'm not all that fond of the storylines where Supes and Bats fight each other. It's almost like watching one's parents fight. :oops:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
That is an innovation from around 1985, actually. They were best buddies for decades.

Jumi

I fail to see how any superhero has ever exhibited “Biblical values;” almost by definition, they all go against Jesus’s advice in Matthew 6:25-34 by taking it upon themselves to concern themselves with the needs of the world.
True, but some of those Christians ignore the New Testament when it tells them something they don't wish to hear.

Jedster

Does this mean Robin can never use the adjective holy?

Robin would never blaspheme like that; this is fake news trying to defame Robin.
What he actually said was 'holey', of which 'holy' is a homophone.

Holey means full of holes. It is a perfectly good word, no matter what spell check says. Its more common homophone holy has several definitions: 1. sacred, or associated with a deity; 2. worthy of worship; 3. saintly; 4. deserving reverence.
Holey vs. holy - Grammarist

You will surely be sent Arkham asylum for 476 lifetimes, for anti-Robin blasphemy.
So there :p

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What could possibly give you that Idea:

(snip)
In early Batman comics he was shooting people all the time.
True enough, but that changed fairly quickly. I wonder where you got that picture from, to be sincere.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Batman is not at all a very consistent character, but one of the few traits that he keeps consistent in the last few decades is that he has a strong aversion against using firearms himself.

That was a main plot in the Year Two storyline back in the late 1980s.