• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you feel about the DC Comic figure Batman becoming an atheist?

whirlingmerc

Most comics came out of New York 80 years ago and many form Jewish writers who had high values... so what might it mean for the same comic figures moving away from Biblical values? or is he?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
How do you feel about the DC Comic figure Batman becoming an atheist?
Atheist??! ONOES!! Now Batman is gonna be a villain!

Most comics came out of New York 80 years ago and many form Jewish writers who had high values... so what might it mean for the same comic figures moving away from Biblical values? or is he?
Are we seriously implying here that atheists somehow have lesser moral values?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The only time i ever saw Batman in a church he was battling the riddler (i think it was)

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been a massive Batman fan since childhood and I honestly had no idea he was even religious, tbh. At least he never mentioned it. Also dressing up like a giant bat, beating bad guys to a bloody pulp (and occasionally killing them) are biblical values? So vigilantes are all just following Jesus' teachings?
This makes me seriously question Caine's interpretation of Alfred as a man with a "past." Maybe he played it like he was secretly a hardcore priest?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been a massive Batman fan since childhood and I honestly had no idea he was even religious, tbh. At least he never mentioned it. Also dressing up like a giant bat, beating bad guys to a bloody pulp (and occasionally killing them) are biblical values? So vigilantes are all just following Jesus' teachings?
This makes me seriously question Caine's interpretation of Alfred as a man with a "past." Maybe he played it like he was secretly a hardcore priest?

Ever seen Gotham? That hints at Alfred's past more explicitly, and introduces some characters from his past in to the series. More special forces than hardcore priest.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Seems weird. How does an atheist character account for the various and numerous God's evidentially present in the DC universe?
Deny their godhood?

Rational Agnostic

Don't care whether the superhero character in a movie is an atheist, theist, deist, Christian, etc. Just care about seeing a good movie with good animation. Who has time to care about the religious beliefs of a fictional character?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Batman has a 80 years story and is one of the most over-published characters ever. You will be hard pressed to find actual reasons for everything that is written about him.
Indeed. What I dislike is that these companies/artists are injecting a narrative into a game that is already in progress. A disquieting trend, imho.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Indeed. What I dislike is that these companies/artists are injecting a narrative into a game that is already in progress. A disquieting trend, imho.
The story is so old that they need to keep reinventing their characters. How old is Batman? Modern day Batman is nothing like the original. Each new generation puts their own spin on him.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Ever seen Gotham? That hints at Alfred's past more explicitly, and introduces some characters from his past in to the series. More special forces than hardcore priest.
I was being facetious. But I was hoping for a "well actually" response.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Seems weird. How does an atheist character account for the various and numerous God's evidentially present in the DC universe?
Deny their godhood?
I suppose to be fair, the Marvel movies kind of mocks the idea that humans thought Loki and Thor were gods. I could see DC pulling that kind of stunt.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I suppose to be fair, the Marvel movies kind of mocks the idea that humans thought Loki and Thor were gods. I could see DC pulling that kind of stunt.

I think they have, but very inconsistently. Still, at the least atheism would be different. Dawkins couldn't compare God to Neptune for one, since Neptune might be chillin' in the studio audience.