• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you do it?

I am an occasional visitor/participant in RF.

When I read through the various posts I am always impressed (blown away at times) by how thoughtful, well researched and carefully written many are. It is obvious, especially in the lengthy posts, that members have put a great deal of time and effort into composing their entries.

That leads me to my question: how do you do it? I am curious if folks work, go to school, care for families, how do you manage to post so frequently or to write such long pieces. I'm very interested in learning how you all manage.

Thanks in advance!

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Well, I'm more or less in-between-jobs, and trying to set up a work-from-home situation, so I'm home and on the computer a lot, already.

These topics interest me, so I put a lot of thought and research into them. It does take a lot of time, yes, but it also just involves piecing together bits of information that I pick up randomly just through living, and if I sense a connection to a topic I'm interested in, I research to see if such a connection is actually possible. If information is hard to come by, I'll actually post something here and ask others what they think.

Seeing as I'm an amateur when it comes to ... pretty much all topics, my primary "technique", if you can call it one, is recognizing that there are people out there who actually dedicate their lives to each and every one of the topics that interest me, and they therefore probably know about them much better than I do. So I make as much of an effort as I can to question myself.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It's all a carefully crafted illusion. :D

Speaking for myself, it's mostly that I:

1) Have been participating on web forums for a very long time
2) Am a strong writer, which was in part facilitated by the above
3) Am a very fast typist, typically churning out 100+ WPM
4) A devotee of the Spirit of Learning and a bit of a polymath (or to put it another way, a nerd)

Thus, all in all, what seems like a lot of effort isn't necessarily so, and if one is a good writer, something can sound well-researched when that is not necessarily so. I know I don't provide the proper citations and references to evidence what I say, even if I have read materials on various things. I don't consider it worth the time, as I refuse to get that academic on a recreational web forum because proper referencing really does take a lot of time. In many cases, it's besides the point, because it's about sharing experiences, not convincing or arguing.

Oh, and also I suppose I have to include this:

5) Spend entirely too much time on RF on occasion. :sweat:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I'm getting older and already more retired than not.

Many of my longer posts never started out as such, but rather, they grow, as if by their own accord, as one little tidbit comes into play while another is quietly edited out. I don't know how many times I written, "It's 2:53 am .... again...". Sometimes, when I am engrossed in a topic, the time simply evaporates. This can be quite annoying when others around you begin to demand attention, hence the need to write late into the night and early into the wee hours of the morning.

For me, I am a voracious reader and am always reading something, almost anything, but like Quintessence, I almost never cite references. If I did, I'd probably get a lot less flack, but it's not my job to research topics for others, LOL.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Most that I've seen are the product of a good command of the language, careful reasoning, and familiarity with the subject.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

When I read through the various posts I am always impressed (blown away at times) by how thoughtful, well researched and carefully written many are. It is obvious, especially in the lengthy posts, that members have put a great deal of time and effort into composing their entries.

That leads me to my question: how do you do it? I am curious if folks work, go to school, care for families, how do you manage to post so frequently or to write such long pieces. I'm very interested in learning how you all manage.

Thanks in advance!

Having multiple personalities is a plus.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Thanks in advance!
Lol. I have a smart phone and take online classes. So, if Im not checking here on my phone Im taking a study break. You can tell when Im on my phone or not. My phone doesnt have auto correct.

As for information, I think people just have all these history and scriptures knotted it up in their heads. When do people have the time to study scriptures. Especially the Buddha and Hindu suttas that way surpass the amount in the Quran, Bible, and Torah combined.

Retired folks maybe?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Many of my longer posts never started out as such, but rather, they grow, as if by their own accord, as one little tidbit comes into play while another is quietly edited out. I don't know how many times I written, "It's 2:53 am .... again...". Sometimes, when I am engrossed in a topic, the time simply evaporates. This can be quite annoying when others around you begin to demand attention, hence the need to write late into the night and early into the wee hours of the morning.

Woden's Beard, that's happened to me a lot. I've sometimes taken hours to make a single post, checking and double-checking what I say and some of my knowledge, just so I can be as clear as I can be.

And then the next post inevitably refutes me in just a few sentences. :(