• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do Christians view Judaism?

WhyIsThatSo

Saying Jesus is not God not the Messiah is not what put Jesus on the Cross. Jesus was put on the cross because claiming to be the Messiah was a threat to Pax Romana.

Jesus (the man) was in line to be the next Messiah (King) of Israel...but it all took a little U-turn when
Jesus (the Christ) took him over and rebelled against his (Jesus the man) "father" (YHWH).

That's how the "Word" got out that the God of the OT was not the True "Father"...
So the God of the OT punished his son (Jesus the man) to death, for disobedience.

"Cursed is every man that hangs on a tree "

WhyIsThatSo

That is only one definition: Merriam Webster has these:

Definition of Jew

1: a person belonging to a continuation through descent or conversion of the ancient Jewish people
2: one whose religion is Judaism
3a: a member of the tribe of Judah
b: ISRAELITE
4: a member of a nation existing in Palestine from the sixth century b.c. to the first century a.d.
First Known Use of Jew
13th century, in the meaning defined at sense 3a

History and Etymology for Jew
Middle English, from Anglo-French ju, jeu, from Latin Judaeus, from Greek Ioudaios, from Hebrew Yĕhūdhī, from Yĕhūdhāh Judah, Jewish kingdom

WhyIsThatSo

Yes...….ALL "Jews" are "Israelites" (of the tribe of Judah)...….but all "Israelites" (not of the tribe of Judah) are NOT...."Jews"

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
does Judaism have a place in the world, according to Christianity?

That is tantamount to asking if your father has a place in your life because he had something to do with you being here.....:confused: but he actually killed your mother. He was a good person, with a lot to look forward to, but he allowed himself to be corrupted by his own importance.

Jesus' address to the Samaritan women at the well sums it up for me....
John 4:22-24....she said to Jesus....
"Our forefathers worshipped on this mountain, but you people say that in Jerusalem is the place where people must worship.21 Jesus said to her: “Believe me, woman, the hour is coming when neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you worship the Father. You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, because salvation begins with the Jews. 23 Nevertheless, the hour is coming, and it is now, when the true worshippers will worship the Father with spirit and truth, for indeed, the Father is looking for ones like these to worship him. 24 God is a Spirit, and those worshipping him must worship with spirit and truth.”

The Jewish nation was founded to produce the promised seed.....the Messiah....a very important role in the big scheme of things.....but according to the Hebrew scriptures, Israel let their God down time and again through disobedience and a failure to honor their God's instructions through his prophets and the commands that would have restored their relationship with God. Only severe punishments led to repentance. There was only one reason to want to keep such a disobedient nation as his own...and that was to honor HIS part of the covenant.....so he kept Israel in existence as his people (repeatedly forgiving them) until that obligation was fulfilled....then, after giving them first option to become 'kings and priests' in his kingdom, he cast them off after their complicity in the death of Jesus. Their behavior as Jesus said was nothing new.....they were serial offenders. (Matthew 23:37-39)

The present nation of Israel is no longer a nation of God's people, but a political entity like all the rest of the war mongers and blood spillers of the world bickering over a piece of dirt. As in the past, she allies herself to nations whose religion she despises.

Jesus' words to the Samaritan woman indicated that geography would no longer have anything to do with where God was going to be worshipped.....no earthly location was going to be the seat of God's Kingdom...and no earthly temple would be necessary to offer up sacrifices to God because the ultimate sacrifice had been made by Jesus and God would bless those of every nation that came to him in love and willing obedience.

The Jewish religion today, I see as stuck in the past, shackled to an outdated law and dedicated 'performers' of man-made laws and rituals that today are meaningless. The new covenant does not require them.

So I see the Jewish faith as a relic really, but they also stand as a warning example of what was to come.....Christendom has imitated her ways and they too have deviated from the simple teachings of Jesus Christ and introduced all manner of confusing man-made doctrines so that no one is quite sure who or what to believe any more.

But I also see no impediment whatsoever to anyone, of any faith coming to God in much the same way as proselytes were accepted into Judaism. They had to leave their former ways of worship behind and come into God's family and abide by his laws. All then were viewed as spiritual "brothers". Which is what Christ promoted.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Now you are just being pedantic. The NT makes it pretty clear that Jesus died because of our sins
His death was part of what He agreed to do, as a sacrifice for all the sins of all people, including all the people who helped kill him and who wanted Him to die. It looks to me like He explictly washed away the guilt of the people who killed Him and who wanted Him to die, before He died. There is no guilt for anyone to inherit for His death, because that guilt was already washed away even before it happened.

Last edited:

Wandering Monk

His death was part of what He agreed to do, as a sacrifice for our the sins of all people. He washed away the guilt of the people who killed Him, before He died. There is no guilt for us to inherit for His death, because that guilt was already washed away even before it happened.

So, suicide?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
If he had the power to prevent his own death and did not, that would seem to be suicide in my book.
Do you think that Jesus, who walked on water, calmed a tempest, cured the blind, and brought dead people back to life, did not have the power to stop some people from killing Him if He wanted to?

Wandering Monk

Do you think that Jesus, who walked on water, calmed a tempest, cured the blind, and brought dead people back to life, did not have the power to stop some people from killing Him if He wanted to?

According to Christian belief, he had the power to stop people from killing him, but he did not stop them.

So, suicide.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
According to Christian belief, he had the power to stop people from killing him, but he did not stop them.

So, suicide.
Call it whatever you want to. Call it “snowboarding” or “snorkeling” if you want to.

Apart from that, do you have anything to say about this?
His death was part of what He agreed to do, as a sacrifice for all the sins of all people, including all the people who helped kill him and who wanted Him to die. It looks to me like He explictly washed away the guilt of the people who killed Him and who wanted Him to die, before He died. There is no guilt for anyone to inherit for His death, because that guilt was already washed away even before it happened.

Jim

Nets of Wonder

So, suicide.
I disagree with calling it that, but let’s go on from there. IWhat about it? Where do you want to go from there?

Wandering Monk

Call it whatever you want to. Call it “snowboarding” or “snorkeling” if you want to.

Apart from that, do you have anything to say about this?

Who made the rule that sin required sacrifice? Who made us corruptible in the first place? Since God is omnipotent, is there any reason He could not have made immortal and incorruptible?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Who made the rule that sin required sacrifice? Who made us corruptible in the first place? Since God is omnipotent, is there any reason He could not have made immortal and incorruptible?
Sorry. In my earlier responses to you I thought I was talking to someone who believes in that theology. I don’t. Sorry for the confusion.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Can you give a couple examples of teachings of Jesus that we Jews have incorporated into our religion?
No. What I’m thinking is that there might be evidence in the teachings of the earliest rabbis, of the influence of the teachings of Jesus on their ways of thinking.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Yet the prophets clearly teach that the remnant of the People of Israel are those who are obedient. Indeed they never once, NEVER ONCE, say a darn thing about having faith in the Messiah.

From the very beginning faith directed toward Messiah was taught in the Old Testament. After Adam and Eve fell God promised the Seed to come would destroy satan but would Himself be wounded. (Gen. 3:15). Adam believed, (faith), and declared Eve was the Mother of all the living. (Gen. 3:20). Eve evidenced her faith in that same promise though it was misdirected. (Gen. 4:1) Faith in the promised Seed to come who would destroy satan.

Abraham also was saved by faith. (Gen. 15:6). Abraham had exercised faith previously when he left Ur of the Chaldees. (Gen. 12:4). But it is here in (Gen. 15) that Abraham's faith results in imputed righteousness. Why? Because it pertained to the Seed promise, which would result in the Messiah.

That the people were not aware of all that this faith entailed is immaterial. It works because God says it works. He imputes righteousness at His direction. And unless righteousness is imputed, there is no salvation.

When Israel was commanded to place the blood of the Passover lamb on the doorpost's of their houses, they were exercising faith in God in doing so, and that faith was directed toward the Messiah who would also be the Lamb of God. Though they didn't understand all of that at that time, is immaterial. They exercised faith in God toward that which pertained to Messiah.

Don't know which Old Testament passages you are referring to when you say 'the prophets clearly teach'. Israel would never be saved by obedience to the Law. She clearly demonstrates she cannot keep the Law. No one is ever saved by keeping the Law. But with the demands of the Law came the sacrifices. And the one who brought the sacrifices evidenced a faith towards God. And those sacrifices pointed to the Sacrifice of the Lamb of God, Jesus Christ.

Good-Ole-Rebel