• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do Christians view Judaism?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
How so? There are many Yeshua's written about in the Talmud, but none of them are the Yeshua that Christians worship.
Not what the rabbis said about any person. The teachings of the rabbis, the new ways of thinking about what the scriptures say.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
No, I don't agree.

Israel as a nation rejected Christ. And thus the nation bears the responsibility for Christ's death. The few that followed Christ, and those later that would, would become part of the Church. Israel as a nation stands as a people bearing the responsibility of Christ's death.

Good-Ole-Rebel
Saying Jesus is not God not the Messiah is not what put Jesus on the Cross. Jesus was put on the cross because claiming to be the Messiah was a threat to Pax Romana.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I think this is true about many of the Christians I've known, although admittedly I've avoided Christians who are hostile to Jews, so I don't really know what their ideas are about the relationship of Judaism to Christianity is.

The truth is that Judaism really isn't Christianity minus Jesus. Judaism in its essence must include the oral teachings and all the various traditions we have (even in those denominations that are tradition lite). When Christianity added Jesus, and took their faith in the Messiah to the Gentiles, the Gentiles subtracted Jewish halakhah and traditions, building on Paul's writings.

It's kind of odd, because Jesus of course was an observant Jew as were the apostles and first Christians. It's simply long forgotten.
I’m thinking of Christianity now as a human invention that incorporated some stories about the life and teachings of a person that I personally think was an actual person. Judaism incorporated some of His spirit and teachings, without incorporating His story or counting Him as a prophet. Judaism might be more faithful to His teachings in some ways, because it includes some parts of the context that Christianity doesn’t.

IndigoChild5559

I would venture to say that most "Jews" don't even know their own religious history.
For example : If I say that all Jews are Israelites, but all Israelites are not Jews...…which is true,
what does this mean ?

And another : The little country in the middle east today is not the "Israel" of the Hebrew scriptures.
Why are you putting Jews in quotation marks? Are you saying that we who say we are Jews are not actually Jews? that would be proposterous.

If you say that not all Israelites are Jews, you ignore the fact that refugees from the 10 tribes fled to Judah, and went into captivity in Babylon, where they were called Jews.

Israel today is the homeland of us Jews in the same traditional lands that it has always been. It is evolving into a more religious state. How is this not the same thing as the Israel of the Tanakh?

IndigoChild5559

@Harel13 A few days ago the thought came to me that Jesus might have had a far reaching, beneficial influence on Judaism and what it does for the world. Now I’m thinking of Judaism and Christianity as taking the teachings of Jesus in two different directions, learning from them and applying them in different ways, and misunderstanding Him in different ways.
In what way has Jesus influenced Judaism? We don't discuss Jesus. Although many Yeshua's are mentioned in the Talmud, none of them are Jesus. Basically Judaism considers Jesus to be utterly irrelevant.

IndigoChild5559

So, Judaism today, how do you explain this (video, which shows a particular practice prevalent), according to the Torah, Nevi'im, or even Ketuvim?:

Where did this practice come from? Explain, using accepted sources by Judaism (today).
Why would a video you present portray animal sacrifice to be barbaric? After all, the Bible prescribes it.

IndigoChild5559

Thank you to those Christians who have defended Jews and Judaism.

Also, it did not go unnoticed that the Catholics gave us support as a single united block.

IndigoChild5559

I’m thinking of Christianity now as a human invention that incorporated some stories about the life and teachings of a person that I personally think was an actual person. Judaism incorporated some of His spirit and teachings, without incorporating His story or counting Him as a prophet. Judaism might be more faithful to His teachings in some ways, because it includes some parts of the context that Christianity doesn’t.
Can you give a couple examples of teachings of Jesus that we Jews have incorporated into our religion?

Wandering Monk

As one who was sponsored on a study of the Holocaust in Poland and Israel whereas I spent 3 weeks in both back in 1991, you are 100% correct.

For someone to still blame a whole people for actions that took place almost 2000 years ago, such as the blaming of the entire Jewish people for Jesus' death, is stereotyping on steroids. How many lives have been lost with the Shoah and other forms of genocide over the centuries because of that kind of myopic and deadly bigotry.

Funny that we don't have pogroms and exterminations of Italians seeing that it was Romans who actually killed Jesus.

Wandering Monk

Yes, I see that. Understandable.

Israel was not trying to do God's work in killing Christ. They killed Him because they rejected Him. My gratitude is towards God and Christ. Not Israel who rejected both God and Christ.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Jesus died because of the sins of ALL humanity. That is Christian doctrine. So ALL of humanity is guilty for his death, not just Jews.

Wandering Monk

It also comes from deliberate misrepresentation in the scriptures themselves. Do not forget that early Christianity was looking for recruits in the Roman world, since the Jews clearly weren't going to play. As a result, it was necessary to have Rome (in the person of Pontius Pilate) "wash my hands" of Jesus's death. That is not, of course, how things worked at the time.

Josephus bemoaned the fact that nearly all histories of the Jewish/Roman conflicts praised the Romans and vilified the Jews; of course he goes on to make the same mistake. He was, after all, a historian for the Roman emperor.

Wandering Monk

I think it was Pinchas Lapide who said, 'You will not find better disciples of Jesus than the Jewish people.'

Reactions: Jim

WhyIsThatSo

Why are you putting Jews in quotation marks? Are you saying that we who say we are Jews are not actually Jews? that would be proposterous.

If you say that not all Israelites are Jews, you ignore the fact that refugees from the 10 tribes fled to Judah, and went into captivity in Babylon, where they were called Jews.

Israel today is the homeland of us Jews in the same traditional lands that it has always been. It is evolving into a more religious state. How is this not the same thing as the Israel of the Tanakh?

Yes, the word "Jew" refers to the tribe of Judah....as you said. But the nation of ""Israel" (Jacob) consist of all the tribes (sons) of Jacob.
Judah is but one son, and the one that returned from Babylonian captivity to that little "place" in the middle east today.

"Israel" is not a place on the map, Israel is a people...
and today most of those people (Israel) constitute several European nations with Britain and the USA the leading nations
and the inheritors of the birthright blessings given to his sons ( Manasseh and Ephraim ) by Jacob .

Wandering Monk

Yes, the word "Jew" refers to the tribe of Judah....as you said. But the nation of ""Israel" (Jacob) consist of all the tribes (sons) of Jacob.
Judah is but one son, and the one that returned from Babylonian captivity to that little "place" in the middle east today.

"Israel" is not a place on the map, Israel is a people...
and today most of those people (Israel) constitute several European nations with Britain and the USA the leading nations
and the inheritors of the birthright blessings given to his sons ( Manasseh and Ephraim ) by Jacob .

That is only one definition: Merriam Webster has these:

Definition of Jew

1: a person belonging to a continuation through descent or conversion of the ancient Jewish people
2: one whose religion is Judaism
3a: a member of the tribe of Judah
b: ISRAELITE
4: a member of a nation existing in Palestine from the sixth century b.c. to the first century a.d.
First Known Use of Jew
13th century, in the meaning defined at sense 3a

History and Etymology for Jew
Middle English, from Anglo-French ju, jeu, from Latin Judaeus, from Greek Ioudaios, from Hebrew Yĕhūdhī, from Yĕhūdhāh Judah, Jewish kingdom