• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Did You Meet Your Best Friend?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I'll start: I met mine through a Reddit post I made seeking to meet new people. I didn't expect it to result in any long-term friendship, much less a close one. She has been my best friend for years now, though, and she means the world to me.

What about you? How did you meet your best friend?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't have a "best friend".
Under pressure, I suppose I could name someone.
I've met friends thru work, engine shows, & school.

Yerda

Veteran Member
She was on the street talking to two of my friends (I was 12 she was 11). They called me over, we spoke and she was incredibly assertive (to the point of being aggressive) about everything. I left thinking she was a bit crazy.

Turns out she is a bit crazy, as you might expect she'd have to be to put up with me all these years.

Last edited:

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Not counting family members...Online. No one really knows me offline and most my friends are online. I never met said friend in person but I consider us best friends not counting family members. Counting family members my sister is my best friend. We were born on the same day and were together before we were even born as we are twins

Gargovic Malkav

He was the new kid in my class back in 1st grade of elementary school(I think this is still considered kindergarten in the American school system though.)

Another I met in the "community/group home/place for special needs people/I-dunno-what-to-call-it-in-English".

And last but not least, the bedroom of my parents, as I consider my little brother my best friend too.
Currently also the closest one probably as I kinda grew apart with the other two.

JDMS

Academic Workhorse
I met my best friend (and now partner) 8 years ago at a camp for children with childhood cancer that I went to every summer.

They had something on the back of their little leather name tag that caught my interest and so we struck off that way. After that we became virtually inseparable.

There have been a few periods in those 8 years where we didn't talk as frequently but we always come back together in the end. We haven't changed much since we met, besides maturing and becoming adults.

I don't regret any of it! :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Although we went to the same junior and secondary schools we never really interacted. We were in different classes, she is a year older than me and we played different sports.

It was in church that we became friends. She was the only one who stood alongside me and comforted me when the congregation turned on me. That was 38 years ago.

I abandoned the church, she embraced it, became a born again and a preacher. For a while she, along with her husband ran their own church before he traded her in for a younger model and she moved to work for her diocese full time.

Yes we have had some ding dong discussions (arguments), we now live in different countries and have completely different lifestyles. We remain best friends.

Only a couple of months ago she flew over to visit for 10 days for the first time since the covid plague struck.

I called in to her home for a flying visit a few weeks ago when i visited family and friends in the UK.

Or then again, i could talk of my husband

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
My husband was an obnoxious and foolish man who wouldn't quit calling me from across the country, based on a picture of me he was shown by a mutual friend. As I'm an odd person, foolishness just happens to be my 'thing'. After badgering me for a month, I drove the several thousand miles to meet him. We got engaged that night, and married a month later.

As to other friends, we have a pair of them. I 'found' them at the UU church we went to years ago for my husband to talk to, who was lonely here and wanted friends. They seemed really weird, and their body language was strange. They studied religion for the fun of it. One of them had a cat sweater. Perfect! I decided. I talked to them for his sake, and asked if they'd like to hang out sometime.

As to which one I'm closer with, that has changed through the years. One has become so distant, I seldom hear from her at all(they are a couple, though a very unhappy one), though at one point I would have said they were my best friend. Mental illness and OCD functions seem to have taken over her, and she's not real open to comunication. The other is a much closer friend now, though was initially distant, and comes over several times a week. We bake cakes on Sundays.

I haven't got any other friends in the real world, really.

Last edited:

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I'll start: I met mine through a Reddit post I made seeking to meet new people. I didn't expect it to result in any long-term friendship, much less a close one. She has been my best friend for years now, though, and she means the world to me.

Well, hubby is my best friend and we met in USAF tech school (Keesler AFB).
My non-hubby best friend I met at Bunco in our old neighborhood.
Don't have a best friend in our new neighborhood yet.