• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did you end up with your religion?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I found Confucianism by reading Four Books and Five Classics (四书五经 - Sìshū Wŭjīng) one Weekend afternoon few years back, and coming to believe the described Will of Heaven. Was discreet about it for a long time, for my Mom's a passionate Christian incapable of understanding such "pagan idolatry"...ugh.

Anyway, I found it, and I love it.

:meditate:

If you like it then that might be the most important thing.

Leftimies

Dwelling in the Principle
:meditate:

If you like it then that might be the most important thing.

Yeah, I know right :D It goes beyond simple liking though; it feels true. It feels like something that has always been and will always be. Something that has no beginning and no end, which is ironic since balance and concept of harmony requires both. Or maybe harmony equals infinite, who knows. I don't know. Something is. Or nothing. Maybe nothing is something or something is nothing? Both are insanity. :areyoucra

Skeptisch

Maybe nothing is something or something is nothing?
You seem to have something in common with Lawrence Maxwell Krauss, a Canadian-American theoretical physicist and author of “A Universe from Nothing.”

In it he “takes the final leap in erecting a universe without God by positing the possibility that something truly can come from nothing without the intervention of an omnipotent Creator. Rather than the traditional understanding of ‘nothing’ as absolute negation from which no effect can ever be caused, Krauss sees nothing as something that is dynamic and active, from which things not only can be spontaneously generated, but in fact have been and are constantly”.

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
The surroundings gave me a number of spiritual tools. I tried some, liked some, dropped others. I did quite a lot of research to expand those tools and eventually found what feels most true to me. Then it took some years to figure out what it's called and whether there even were others like me.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
After dropping Christianity I got curious to see if any existing religions approached things in a direct realistic manner without the obscurity of belief to get in the way of actuality.

Zen Buddhism popped up. I said ok, I'll give it a go.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Rather than the traditional understanding of ‘nothing’ as absolute negation from which no effect can ever be caused,

The idea /universe from nothing/ is actually a 'default', whenever non-theism is presented in an argument. It sort of has to be, as simply stating pre-existing matter etc, does not really equate to the same /answer, as given by theists/creationists.

Last edited:

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth

I created my spiritual-religious system based on my own goals and dreams and Weltanschauung, and it gives me the freedom to learn and absorb strength, power, wisdom and beauty from any religion or culture I Will.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I've read various /different kinds of writings, however, the first 'books' that I read concerning esoterica/what not, were A. Crowley. I think... the first was the Book of the Law. Interesting; Later , 777, which I would describe as very occultic, actually.

Last edited:

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
1. Christianity: 2.1 billion
2. Islam: 1.5 billion
3. Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion
4. Hinduism: 900 million
5. Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
6. Buddhism: 376 million
7. primal-indigenous: 300 million
8. African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
9. Sikhism: 23 million
10. Juche: 19 million
11. Spiritism: 15 million
12. Judaism: 14 million
13. Baha'i: 7 million
14. Jainism: 4.2 million
15. Shinto: 4 million
16. Cao Dai: 4 million
17. Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million
18. Tenrikyo: 2 million
19. Neo-Paganism: 1 million
20. Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand
21. Rastafarianism: 600 thousand
22. Scientology: 500 thousand

Major Religions Ranked by Size

Went with the winning team, pretty big drop off after #1!

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member

My religion's way down the list! I'm not currently aware of anyone else who follows it!

How did I end up with my religion? I'm going to be real lazy here and just copy and paste from another thread that I've just posted in on a related subject:

Lots of thinking, reading and talking to many, many different people (priests, theologians/scholars and 'ordinary' believers and disbelievers), and generally just exploring life and 'experiencing' the world (in all its beauty and ugliness!). That still continues.

arthra

Baha'i
Wow! This is an ancient thread.. going back to 2012!

How did I "end up" a Baha'i? Well it was back in the sixties you see and I had studied the various religions and decided all of them had a Divine origin.. and I refused to be a Christian and denigrate say another religion... or place one of the great Prophets below another. So one day I was reading a book about the Baha'i Faith in the A.K. Smiley Library and it occurred to me that if I ever met any Baha'is I would have to become one and declare... It also was during the height of the Civil Rights movement and the Peace movement and I was deeply committed to them and finding the Baha'i principles advocate peace and the oneness of mankind I knew I would have to become a Baha'i.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

you left out....Rogue Theology

a non-religious belief

Muffled

Jesus in me
I was sent to a Baptist sunday school by my parents but we only attended church Christmas and Easter. I had a natural affinity for religion but remained a nominal Christian until becoming born again. I ended up walking this closely with Jesus most likely because He wanted it that way. I have no recollection of having made a choice.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Wow! This is an ancient thread.. going back to 2012!

How did I "end up" a Baha'i? Well it was back in the sixties you see and I had studied the various religions and decided all of them had a Divine origin.. and I refused to be a Christian and denigrate say another religion... or place one of the great Prophets below another. So one day I was reading a book about the Baha'i Faith in the A.K. Smiley Library and it occurred to me that if I ever met any Baha'is I would have to become one and declare... It also was during the height of the Civil Rights movement and the Peace movement and I was deeply committed to them and finding the Baha'i principles advocate peace and the oneness of mankind I knew I would have to become a Baha'i.

If that is your best understanding of Christianity then you didn't even come close to understanding it. It would be like thinking ISIS is the best representative of Islam.

Does that mean you are at peace with murder and rape and pillage? I believe God is not.

Akivah

I was raised Reform Jewish. But never saw evidence of G-d and drifted away from it. Became atheist for a while and got courted by Christian missionaries. Then I had a personal revelation, realized I made a mistake, and became more Jewish than I ever had. I'm now Conservative Judaism.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Here is my spiritual evolution, or devolution, depending of the point of view

- born christian and registered in the church of sweden, by default
- washed with some magic water, intended to wash the sins I accumulated in my first few days of life
- believer in Santa and, occasionally, in the boogie man
- believer in baby Jesus after my grandma told me that Santa is far more ridiculous
- short skeptical phase after I caught my parents secretely bringing those baby Jesus presents under the tree
- new earth christian creationist. Lutheran
- rebooted and born again, allegedely
- washed with some magic water. Again.
- old earth christian creationist
- evolutionary theist (still christian and still creationist)
- unitarian christian. <--- started scrutinize my beliefs at this point
- agnostic
- atheist (believing still in some sort of Metaphysical force)
- naturalist, and the strong atheism that it entails

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:
Noticed the claims made by my religion didn't match reality. Researched other religions a bit and came to the conclusion that no one really knows how everything started, or if there is some kind of afterlife (if one actually exists), or any of the rest of what religions claim.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
If that is your best understanding of Christianity then you didn't even come close to understanding it. It would be like thinking ISIS is the best representative of Islam.

Does that mean you are at peace with murder and rape and pillage? I believe God is not.

Maybe you need to read your bible.