• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how did man appear on earth

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Peace has this to say:

No, humans haven't just appreared haphazardley, they were created by God. The first human being that was created is Adam then Eve and we are all their progeny, it's very simple. We Muslims don't believe in Darwin's idea of human evolution.

Like everyone to respond this.

Love & rgds

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Neither Darwin's theories nor the story of "Adam and Eve" are explanations for how man appeared. Evolution explains changes in species; "Adam and Eve" is a myth, interpretations of which (including the literal) are varied.

My reply, then, is "I don't know."

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Nobody really knows for sure the true answer to this, and while I do believe in the theory of evolution because of all the evidence backing it up, I will also say that because the theory is still in its childhood, we don't know much about it.

I'd like to remind everybody that fossils are very rare, and it is highly unlikely that we'll find fossil remains of every single human ancestor that ever existed. Remember that our species was the first to bury their dead. (as far as I know)

I do know that, like every other species, we didn't just "appear" out of thin air. It was a slow, gradual process that is still going on; while Adam would have been the same species, I guarantee that he would have looked very different from us at ~6000 years; the earliest members of our species would have looked nothing like us.

A single generation would never notice any difference. But I don't believe that we are now perfected; in fact, we've got a long way to go before we even get within a universe's diameter of that word.

UnTheist

In the sense that "Adam" and "Eve" were the first Humans who appeared ~6,000 years ago, that is obviously false.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
Atleast do respond as to what your thoughts on ADAM & EVE being created by god. Is it acceptable to you?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Big man done it! :D

In all seriousness, I don't know. I don't really care, either, sadly. If we evolved, it doesn't change a thing - if we were created, it still doesn't change a thing. I tend to lean towards evolution, though.

If one reads through the words of the names of the Garden of Eden, it seems a little bit obvious it's not meant to be literal - just look at the names! It seems to be more like a story, a metaphor, for why we are here - more of an explanation about human ego and jealousy and how humanity is unable to listen to God. I guess it became literal as times changed and meanings were lost within the names?

Names:
Adam -Man (possibly signifying humanity?) or Dust
Eve (Havvah) - Living One
Cain (from what was South Arabian qyn - metalsmith)
Abel (modern Arabic cognate ibil - herdsman).
Seth - Placed/Appointed (because he was a 'replacement' for Abel, I guess?)

So we have, Man, Living One, Metalsmith and Herdsman, and Replacement.

Something about the etymology of their names shows that they probably were not intended to be real people.. to me at least :D
Who would really name their child "Replacement"? Poor kid! :D

Just my two cents! I may not be right, but at least it's neater.

Draka

Wonder Woman
My response is this: The whole story of Genesis is a myth. Adam and Eve are mythological characters. They didn't really exist. At most you can take them as allegorical symbols.

Humans did not just "appear". They were not formed out of dirt by "god". If anything, we can be traced to the beginnings of life in water. We were not formed as clay. No mold, no shaping, no placing in any garden.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
My response is this: The whole story of Genesis is a myth.
The whole? Including Moses?? :D

I think Noah is also myth, or as I prefer it, symbolism.
In fact, even Job is symbolism (it's poetry in Hebrew!). :)

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Nobody really knows for sure the true answer to this, and while I do believe in the theory of evolution because of all the evidence backing it up, I will also say that because the theory is still in its childhood, we don't know much about it.

Actually, we do know quite a bit. Most people are surprised when they actually start to look at the data.

I'd like to remind everybody that fossils are very rare, and it is highly unlikely that we'll find fossil remains of every single human ancestor that ever existed. Remember that our species was the first to bury their dead. (as far as I know)

Although the fossil record is pretty much exactly what we would expect under human/primate shared ancestry, it's the genetic data that is the "slam dunk". Also, just because we may not know every detail about something, that doesn't prevent us from being able to say with a very high degree of confidence that it happened.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
The whole? Including Moses?? :D

I think Noah is also myth, or as I prefer it, symbolism.
In fact, even Job is symbolism (it's poetry in Hebrew!). :)

Moses doesn't show up until Exodus. :p

I think man first appeared on earth more or less as he appears now, except shorter, and with more hair and fewer hangups.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
The first human being that was created is Adam then Eve and we are all their progeny, it's very simple. We Muslims don't believe in Darwin's idea of human evolution.

There ya' go...not very hard to figure out. Just like their Protestant Christian brethern, this Muslim's evolution denialism is rooted in his religion.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Well..

In the beginning, there was nothing.. which exploded.
billions of years later, inside the primordial soup, some mischievous molecules decided they have to break free... yet billions of years later a bold ancestor of the homo habilis decided to use stones for tools, and yet millions of years later groups of hunter gatherers gradually moved into agriculture sedentary life, and created myths that represent their culture, these myths have passed inside the ancient near east, until they found their way into one of humanity's written world heritages, the bible, centuries later to be passed on to the Qur'an.

;)

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Friend Peace has this to say:

Like everyone to respond this.

Love & rgds

It's simple. We are energy. Energy changes form. Evolution at it's simplest is merely another form of that change. Maybe it did not happen exactly as Darwin explained it, but who knows? Everything that exists changes. There is no other way. Mankind is merely a product of that change.
I would have to say that by the sheer nature of energy itself, evolution makes the most sense. Mankind's appearance on earth is no more mysterious than any life form for that matter. We are like just another swing of the pendulum. But every time it swings, it is just slightly different.

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Actually, we do know quite a bit. Most people are surprised when they actually start to look at the data.

Compared to what we "knew" 500 years ago, we've learned a lot. To me, saying "we know quite a bit" implies that we know more than half of what nature has to offer... when we don't even "see" everything that's actually there.

Although the fossil record is pretty much exactly what we would expect under human/primate shared ancestry, it's the genetic data that is the "slam dunk". Also, just because we may not know every detail about something, that doesn't prevent us from being able to say with a very high degree of confidence that it happened.

I know. My argument was really for those who believe that the holes in the fossil record is proof that the theory of evolution is wrong.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Peace is blatantly wrong. It is like saying 1+1=29323928328392. Well, that is wrong!

Evolution may not be the answer, but it is way closer than Adam and Eve, which is a story written by an old school mental patient..

Um... no it wasn't.

It was a fireside story told by people who had no reason to think otherwise.