• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how come so many people on forums have no experience in life?

kloth

often I come across people who say they never seen certain types of people do average stuff in public.
like if I talk about a religious person who was rude, or crooked, etc. most people here will say they have never seen anyone like that ever.
and so forth.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
often I come across people who say they never seen certain types of people do average stuff in public.
like if I talk about a religious person who was rude, or crooked, etc. most people here will say they have never seen anyone like that ever.
and so forth.

Selective memory?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Society has less strict rules online than offline. You talk like a bigoted religious person in public and you get beaten or ignored. Or parodied.

freethinker44

and so forth.

Willful ignorance? Compartmentalization? Both? :shrug:

I've noticed a lot of people have an all or nothing attitude when defending an idea. If they cede anything to the other side I think they feel like they have lost the entire argument, so they just deny everything.

We all do it. I try to be objective and catch myself before I do it, but there's that whole being human thing, so it's inevitable.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
and so forth.

Pardon, but I wouldn't consider flagrant displays of bigotry to be "average stuff." I have seen genuine bigotry directly in person only extremely rarely, and even then it's usually been off-handed comments that were not particularly malicious (i.e., young people who don't know any better saying "that's gay" as an insult). What I do sometimes see is people spouting negativity about other people in general, but not because they're part of some particular group. I hear "that person was rude" not "that Jew was rude" as if their religion has anything to do with their rudeness.

I'll grant I'm picky about the company I keep. I don't hang around toxic, negative people and their vile, uncivilized language.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
and so forth.

Maybe you go out more than we usually do? :D

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
and so forth.

My wife recently bought a Buick Le Sable.
I had not noticed any Buick Le Sables until after my wife bought one.
Now I see them all over the place.

So the question is....
Were there Buick Le Sables all over the place before my wife bought hers and I just did not notice them or did the Buick Le Sables only start showing up around here after my wife bought hers?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I've seen things that few other people have seen, so it doesn't surprise me when someone else doesn't share my experiences.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

SNAP!
We have just had to sell my wife's Jeep and buy a little automatic car for her, because of an illness in her left knee. Suddenly we see this make and model of car everywhere we go! They are so popular, and yet I never noticed one before.

We see what we want to see?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
and so forth.
Probably selective.

Although here it seems like it's the atheists who've never done a single thing wrong ever in their existence. The religious people have no problem admitting there are idiots in religion and outside of it, vice-versa can be... much more difficult to admit, it seems.

I have to deal with people all the time; it's why I tend to hate people. :p

chinu

chinu
and so forth.
Just ask about me at RF :)

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
SNAP!
We have just had to sell my wife's Jeep and buy a little automatic car for her, because of an illness in her left knee. Suddenly we see this make and model of car everywhere we go! They are so popular, and yet I never noticed one before.

I would say that we (meaning humans in general) end to not notice as much as they think they do.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
and so forth.

Because not everyone views life through your limited and biased lens.

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
SNAP!

I just bought a Chevy Malibu. Still, I only see Mercedes'.

kloth

I think youth comes into play as well.
true

Maybe you go out more than we usually do? :D
maybe, but you can do a lot of traveling and seeing the world on the net. not in person, but still worthy to some extent.

So the question is....
Were there Buick Le Sables all over the place before my wife bought hers and I just did not notice them or did the Buick Le Sables only start showing up around here after my wife bought hers?
good point.

Just ask about me at RF :)
does that stand for reefer?