• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can you tell God apart from Satan?

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I guess the Jewish (thus original) answer would be:

Well, Satan is the one taking orders from God and making daring bets with him...

To be more specific there is no "devil" as in some kind of evil boogyman in the Jewish religion. So there wouldn't be any more need to tell the difference between Lucifer and god than it would be for them to know the difference between Gabriel and God

Leftimies

Dwelling in the Principle
To be more specific there is no "devil" as in some kind of evil boogyman in the Jewish religion. So there wouldn't be any more need to tell the difference between Lucifer and god than it would be for them to know the difference between Gabriel and God

Yeah, I believe in Book of Job he (the adversary) was merely an angel (servant of god) making a case that Job's loyalty to God was founded on his good fortune - shake it, and it'll falter.

Not a demon from hellfire, but somehow the two big boys got it that way.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Yeah, I believe in Book of Job he (the adversary) was merely an angel (servant of god) making a case that Job's loyalty to God was founded on his good fortune - shake it, and it'll falter.

Not a demon from hellfire, but somehow the two big boys got it that way.

In the Jewish tradition Lucifer is like the Prosecuting Attourney of a big law firm. He gets justice and plays the role to show both sides.

mystic64

nolonger active
I disagree, I do agree the vast majority of Christian literature is shallow and the message is milk not meat. But God has always had his anointed which I find very important to uncover the revelation of the spirit.
Corn (word of God)
Wine (revelation of the Spirit)
Oil (anointing)

Everyone is different, because of this everyone has to find a way that works for them. The gift of the vast majority of Christian literature is that it helps everyone find a way that works for them. The important thing is that a person can find a way that brings them closer to Father God and Lord Jesus if one is a Christian. With that said, when you drink enough of the wine (revelation of the spirit) you find yourself in a reality that is beyond words. You have knowledge and understandings that can not be put into words. People love/need their words, so they are limited to what words can describe which is ok as long as that limitation brings them to the wine (revelation of the Spirit) and that love/need for words doesn't hinder them from the revelations that go beyond words. Words bring you to Lord Jesus, from there Lord Jesus brings you to His Father, "You can only approach the Father through Me.". And where Lord Jesus takes you is knowledge and understanding that beyond words. It can be experienced and understood, but it can not be explained using words. Which is why the Bible is full of parables and why Lord Jesus says, "Let those that understand understand and let those who do not understand not understand."

Benoni

Everyone is different, because of this everyone has to find a way that works for them. The gift of the vast majority of Christian literature is that it helps everyone find a way that works for them. The important thing is that a person can find a way that brings them closer to Father God and Lord Jesus if one is a Christian. With that said, when you drink enough of the wine (revelation of the spirit) you find yourself in a reality that is beyond words. You have knowledge and understandings that can not be put into words. People love/need their words, so they are limited to what words can describe which is ok as long as that limitation brings them to the wine (revelation of the Spirit) and that love/need for words doesn't hinder them from the revelations that go beyond words. Words bring you to Lord Jesus, from there Lord Jesus brings you to His Father, "You can only approach the Father through Me.". And where Lord Jesus takes you is knowledge and understanding that beyond words. It can be experienced and understood, but it can not be explained using words. Which is why the Bible is full of parables and why Lord Jesus says, "Let those that understand understand and let those who do not understand not understand."
I did not say God was against the milk of the Word. That is where people are I do not have a problem with it.

Baby-lon is a golden cup in the hands of the Lord.

mystic64

nolonger active
I did not say God was against the milk of the Word. That is where people are I do not have a problem with it.

Baby-lon is a golden cup in the hands of the Lord.

Ok :) , God is dividing Humankind into two camps and both camps believe that they are right. The right camp will be the camp that wins. Benoni, I know that you are not against the milk of the word and I know that you are a very awake person that trusts things being in the hands of Father God and Lord Jesus. "How do you tell a good spirit from a bad spirit? A good spirit always leads you toward Lord Jesus." The same could be said of literature. But at the same time there seems to be a plan afoot to divide humankind into two camps with literature being a tool that helps to create that division. "Baby-lon is a colden cup in the hands of the Lord." :) . That would make both camps golden camps in the hands of the Lord. Way too cool!

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
John 8:44 - "You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies."

A common theme in the Bible is cursing the Evil One(Satan). He is called a destroyer, murderer, liar and devourer. Yet when one takes an examination of the Bible the amount of death is on Jehovah's hands.

There are an estimated 2,821,354 deaths at the hand of god in the Old Testament. There may be more but these are the ones specifically mentioned and with the deaths of the people of Noah it is more. Considering that most scholars do not place the the creation of the Tawrah as no more than the 8th century I will add the rough world population for that era which would place the death toll for the events of Noah at 70,000,000(I am being modest by the way).

In the Bible though Satan is only accounted for roughly 10 deaths.

So using Biblical reasoning here we can determine that this god is quite a dangerous fellow. If God kills more than Satan and with an exceedingly high efficiency rate then how is Satan the bad guy?

Last edited:

mystic64

nolonger active
The narrow way is??
That is the Question :) ! And everybody has a version of what the narrow way is. My guess would be that, ultimately, "Do not sin against the Holy Spirit because that sin can never be forgiven." All other sins are based on ignorance, and can be forgiven.

mystic64

nolonger active
John 8:44 - "You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies."

A common theme in the Bible is cursing the Evil One(Satan). He is called a destroyer, murderer, liar and devourer. Yet when one takes an examination of the Bible the amount of death is on Jehovah's hands.

There are an estimated 2,821,354 deaths at the hand of god in the Old Testament. There may be more but these are the ones specifically mentioned and with the deaths of the people of Noah it is more. Considering that most scholars do not place the the creation of the Tawrah as no more than the 8th century I will add the rough world population for that era which would place the death toll for the events of Noah at 70,000,000(I am being modest by the way).

In the Bible though Satan is only accounted for roughly 10 deaths.

So using Biblical reasoning here we can determine that this god is quite a dangerous fellow. If God kills more than Satan and with an exceedingly high efficiency rate then how is Satan the bad guy?

It all depends on how forgiving you are I guess.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
It all depends on how forgiving you are I guess.

I am a very forgiving person and primarily because I am also a very introverted but nonetheless the god of the Tanakh, Qur'an and Bible are not very forgiving at all. They are assigned oft benevolence and forgiveness yet never display any of these traits

mystic64

nolonger active
I am a very forgiving person and primarily because I am also a very introverted but nonetheless the god of the Tanakh, Qur'an and Bible are not very forgiving at all. They are assigned oft benevolence and forgiveness yet never display any of these traits

Sterling I do not disagree with you, ok? Anyone with any sanity would think as you do. And ulimately Satan does not really matter, because nobody can do anything without God's permission. Everything is God's fault either through direct action or through inaction. The Father of Lord Jesus, for better or worse, is my God. Which may be another reason to question my sanity :) . If the Father of Lord Jesus has made mistakes, which from this world of things it appears that He has, then the best that I can do is to forgive Him and ask Him to sin no more.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Sterling I do not disagree with you, ok? Anyone with any sanity would think as you do. And ulimately Satan does not really matter, because nobody can do anything without God's permission. Everything is God's fault either through direct action or through inaction. The Father of Lord Jesus, for better or worse, is my God. Which may be another reason to question my sanity :) . If the Father of Lord Jesus has made mistakes, which from this world of things it appears that He has, then the best that I can do is to forgive Him and ask Him to sin no more.

Student becoming better than the teacher?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة

You are an honest chap. I have no contempt towards the Bible which is something people assume because of how I describe it. I am not interested in the Bible as a book containing the word of god, it is a book written by many people centuries apart and spanning vast subjects. Most of it I regard as myth or allegorical so I am not upset over something I do not even think is factual.

The Bible has good things to say in it just like the Qur'an and I can choose from either as I please:D

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
. . . because nobody can do anything without God's permission. Everything is God's fault either through direct action or through inaction
I'm going to have to say that the other 45% of the World's religions would disagree with you.

mystic64

nolonger active
You are an honest chap. I have no contempt towards the Bible which is something people assume because of how I describe it. I am not interested in the Bible as a book containing the word of god, it is a book written by many people centuries apart and spanning vast subjects. Most of it I regard as myth or allegorical so I am not upset over something I do not even think is factual.

The Bible has good things to say in it just like the Qur'an and I can choose from either as I please:D

Sounds rational to me :) . To me everything is a "clue" and clues are all that we have to go on. At least until we are able manipulate Creation as individuals or through God or some other source. "How do you tell God apart from Satan?" You just don't worry about it and get on with your life :) .

mystic64

nolonger active
I'm going to have to say that the other 45% of the World's religions would disagree with you.

You would would you :) ! Salmu, when it comes to religion I have never had anybody agree with me :) , so everybody I know would probably disagree with what you have said. But thank you for the vote of confidence, 55% is an uplifting number!

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
You would would you :) ! Salmu, when it comes to religion I have never had anybody agree with me :) , so everybody I know would probably disagree with what you have said. But thank you for the vote of confidence, 55% is an uplifting number!
My point in commenting on your post . . . "because nobody can do anything without God's permission. Everything is God's fault either through direct action or through inaction" - was that 55% of the world's religion are Abrahamic and the remaining 45% would not agree with needing the Abrahamic god's permission for anything.

Benoni

I to agree with you on this matter Satan is nothing but a tool in the hands of God