• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Can the Left-Hand Path lead one to Enlightenment?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Just curious, for those I've seen say the Left-Hand path can also lead one to enlightenment and liberation from suffering. How so? I will add here, I'm not right-hand path, I'm middle path.

Rainbow Mage

It means I think both the right hand and left hand paths are extremes. I walk between the two. I walk the Twilight road that leads to nightfall as it was put in Kingdom Hearts.

no-body

It means I think both the right hand and left hand paths are extremes. I walk between the two. I walk the Twilight road that leads to nightfall as it was put in Kingdom Hearts.

According to the definition any sort of strict moral code makes you right hand path, even the middle way. But left hand path is such a broad defenition and group of people that I think even if you get a couple to answer their opinions will all be wildly differing.

What exactly is your definition of "enlightenment" ? I believe most left hand paths focus on a liberation of the self through breaking of taboos and building up the ego rather than trying to dissolve it.

And that's not even getting into the whole "magik" aspects of it (queue mister cheese explaining about the poop eating)

Rainbow Mage

My definition of enlightenment isn't entirely like the Right-Hand path religions. I agree with them that God is all there is, and that realizing that is enlightenment, but I don't think it matters. Rather you acknowledge a self or not it doesn't change that God is working through everything. God is the only one working. We're not doing anything. All concepts of self are an illusion and just because a person doesn't realize that, even with their carnal driven deeds and karma, are still working as God wills.

Mr Cheese

According to the definition any sort of strict moral code makes you right hand path, even the middle way. But left hand path is such a broad defenition and group of people that I think even if you get a couple to answer their opinions will all be wildly differing.

What exactly is your definition of "enlightenment" ? I believe most left hand paths focus on a liberation of the self through breaking of taboos and building up the ego rather than trying to dissolve it.

And that's not even getting into the whole "magik" aspects of it (queue mister cheese explaining about the poop eating)
poop? me? where:D

the LHP doesnt seek liberation per se....

it is like a skinny weakling that goes body building...

and seeks to become "Mr Universe"

no-body

My definition of enlightenment isn't entirely like the Right-Hand path religions. I agree with them that God is all there is, and that realizing that is enlightenment, but I don't think it matters. Rather you acknowledge a self or not it doesn't change that God is working through everything. God is the only one working. We're not doing anything. All concepts of self are an illusion and just because a person doesn't realize that, even with their carnal driven deeds and karma, are still working as God wills.

A left hand paths persons definition of "enlightenment" probably differs from yours thought.

But here is where we get into labeling.. your definition of enlightenment is pretty close to Universal Sufism, neo pagans, and new age definitions of enlightenment I've seen and they are all considered right hand paths.

Rainbow Mage

No-body I think someone on the Left Hand path is still doing God's will, but it can't give them enlightenment, unless they believe that appeasing the ego is appeasing the whole.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The way I see it, the claim that LHP leads to enlightment is in itself more than slightly misleading.

LHP is ego-centered, and while it makes sense that an egotrip path may eventually lead to what is usually understood as enlightment out of self-discovery if nothing else, I can't bring myself to believe that is the actual claim being made.

For that matter, I wonder if there is such a thing as true "RHP enlightment" either. Enlightment is supposed to involve clear and encompassing understanding, so I don't see how it could fit into what is usually considered RHP.

But then again, far as I can tell RHP is either a LHP creation (as a concept) or a terrible mis-step in what would otherwise be good religion.

The bottom line is that what I really believe LHP claims to bring is not enlightment itself, but relief from external judgement and some sort of path of freedom after that relief settles itself.

That does not exclude enlightment. But nor does it exclude self-delusion, far as I can tell.

no-body

poop? me? where:D

the LHP doesnt seek liberation per se....

it is like a skinny weakling that goes body building...

and seeks to become "Mr Universe"

That's what happens when Mac got poop kicked in his face instead of sand "Man this Dynamic Tension stuff is too much work... gamble that ten-cent stamp and subscribe to Crowley's arcane arts program, I'm already half-way there!"

If 'enlightenment' is to mean a quasi spiritual fuzzy minded sense of unfounded intellectual entitlement, as it usually does..then no;The LHP leads in the complete opposite direction.