• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can Jesus have to genealogies?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
That superiority produced arrogance, usually then resulting in God giving superiority elsewhere and eventually temples being destroyed and not rebuilt for some time.. Hundreds of years here, thousands there, etc.

I wasn't aware God had abandoned his people.

InChrist

Free4ever
What about all the contradictions, mistranslations, missing books... You believe in a very interesting God.

I am not aware of any real contradictions, missing books, or mistranslations which impact the essential teachings of the Bible. There may be aspects of the scriptures which are difficult to understand or that appear to conflict because our minds are finite. Yet, I have seen with continual study and seeking answers from God such things are often resolved.

Premium Member
I am not aware of any real contradictions, missing books, or mistranslations which impact the essential teachings of the Bible. There may be aspects of the scriptures which are difficult to understand or that appear to conflict because our minds are finite. Yet, I have seen with continual study and seeking answers from God such things are often resolved.

Take this thread. Christ is said to be messiah but fits little if any criteria. That's a huge contradiction.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
No. It lists Jesus as supposedly being the son of Joseph, who married Mary.. Continuing with Jesus being the son of Heli, therefore being the son of Matthat.. on to being the son of David, on to being the son of God.

There is no mention of Mary anywhere in that genealogy. Why would Jesus being "son of Heli" indicate anything of Mary? Better still, where are you getting "therefore being the son of Matthat"?

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
There is no mention of Mary anywhere in that genealogy. Why would Jesus being "son of Heli" indicate anything of Mary? Better still, where are you getting "therefore being the son of Matthat"?

Women weren't necessary in genealogies, neither does Mary really need a place in this one. Each statement between commas is referring to what Jesus is 'being'. If you are the son of Heli, then it follows, you are also the son of Heli's father and his forefathers including David. Hence, 'son of David.'

Joseph genealogy is in Matthew, clearly identified by who begat him, and ending with who he married.

Last edited:

InChrist

Free4ever
Take this thread. Christ is said to be messiah but fits little if any criteria. That's a huge contradiction.

The history of the earth is not over is it? Why are you so closed to the idea that Jesus Christ has filled some important aspects of the criteria and may still completely meet the rest of the prophetic promises of scripture in refernence to Messiah and Israel?

Premium Member
The history of the earth is not over is it? Why are you so closed to the idea that Jesus Christ has filled some important aspects of the criteria and may still completely meet the rest of the prophetic promises of scripture in refernence to Messiah and Israel?

Because he hasn't. Plus he is dead and the messiah is to simply be human. In Judaism you would never worship a God in the flesh.

gnostic

The Lost One
sleepy said:
Luke makes sure to point out that it was only supposed to have been Joseph's, before continuing with 'son of Heli' and onward. Matthew gives Joseph's line. Luke gives Jesus and Mary's.

I only see that Luke recounting Joseph's line, not that of Mary's.

Luke never said what tribe or bloodline that Mary come from, even though this gospel had recounted events in Luke 1 & 2 more in Mary's perspective. In Luke 2:4, it state quite clearly that Joseph was from David's line, but say nothing about Mary's:

Luke 2:4 said:
So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David.

And in Luke's genealogy, there is no mention of Mary in 3:23:
Luke 3:23 said:
Now Jesus himself was about thirty years old when he began his ministry. He was the son, so it was thought, of Joseph, the son of Heli,

Clearly, Joseph was a son of Heli. There no mention of Mary, here.

Last edited:

Sleeppy

I only see that Luke recounting Joseph's line, not that of Mary's.

Luke never said what tribe or bloodline that Mary come from, even though this gospel had recounted events in Luke 1 & 2 more in Mary's perspective. In Luke 2:4, it state quite clearly that Joseph was from David's line, but say nothing about Mary's:

And in Luke's genealogy, there is no mention of Mary in 3:23:

Joseph's genealogy is in Matthew. I answered the rest, above. I use Young's Literal.

gnostic

The Lost One
sleepy said:
Joseph's genealogy is in Matthew. I answered the rest, above. I use Young's Literal.

The translations you use omits an entire phrase.. The qualifier attached to Joseph.

There is still no mention of "Mary" in Luke's genealogy, even in Young's Literal Translation. YLT say"... Joseph, the [son] of Eli, the..."

If Mary was a daughter of Heli/Eli, then it should have been written "of Mary, the daughter of Heli..." It doesn't.

Sleeppy

There is still no mention of "Mary" in Luke's genealogy, even in Young's Literal Translation. YLT say"... Joseph, the [son] of Eli, the..."

If Mary was a daughter of Heli/Eli, then it should have been written "of Mary, the daughter of Heli..." It doesn't.

Notice also that everyone listed in any genealogy is male. So, instead of Mary, you have Jesus, who shares her genealogy. Joseph is mentioned because it was supposed he was the father. Why? Mary married Joseph and Joseph was obviously seen raising Mary's Child as his own, despite not being the biological father.

InChrist

Free4ever
Because he hasn't. Plus he is dead and the messiah is to simply be human. In Judaism you would never worship a God in the flesh.

Okay, thank you for you answer. According to the progressive revelation of scripture Jesus rose from the dead and is alive. Is there no possibility Judaism missed something which God was trying to reveal about the Messiah.

Premium Member
Okay, thank you for you answer. According to the progressive revelation of scripture Jesus rose from the dead and is alive. Is there no possibility Judaism missed something which God was trying to reveal about the Messiah.

Haha so you believe in a God who forgets parts of prophecies (or even gets them wholly incorrect)?

Sleeppy

Is their no possibility that the messianic claims of Christianity is apocalyptic rubbish?

But somehow God allows this particular Jew to convert the majority of the earth.. Including many, many Jews. And at the same time allows the destruction of His inhabited temple.. Regardless of law requirements and prophecies attached to it. Not to be rebuilt as of yet. An alternate messiah and king can't be seen on any horizon.

Premium Member
But somehow God allows this particular Jew to convert the majority of the earth.. Including many, many Jews. And at the same time allows the destruction of His inhabited temple.. Regardless of law requirements and prophecies attached to it. Not to be rebuilt as of yet. An alternate messiah and king can't be seen on any horizon.

Well I didn't realize we could just blow off prophecies. In that case sure, Jesus could be messiah. Hell maybe I'm the messiah.

Sleeppy

Well I didn't realize we could just blow off prophecies. In that case sure, Jesus could be messiah. Hell maybe I'm the messiah.

Do you know more prophecies than the ones you mentioned earlier? Or would you like to talk about those I've already addressed for you?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
But somehow God allows this particular Jew to convert the majority of the earth...
Interesting argument.

Of course, to embrace such logic would require acknowledging that the same God allowed Islam to 'convert' 1.6 billion souls and Hindus and Buddhists to 'convert' perhaps twice that many. Have fun with that ... :rolleyes:

Awoon

Notice also that everyone listed in any genealogy is male. So, instead of Mary, you have Jesus, who shares her genealogy. Joseph is mentioned because it was supposed he was the father. Why? Mary married Joseph and Joseph was obviously seen raising Mary's Child as his own, despite not being the biological father.

Mary is in the genealogy because Joseph had other wives. Because Jesus was born to Mary, not one of his other wives.

There are woman in Matthews genealogy of Jesus..

Sleeppy

Interesting argument.

Of course, to embrace such logic would require acknowledging that the same God allowed Islam to 'convert' 1.6 billion souls and Hindus and Buddhists to 'convert' perhaps twice that many. Have fun with that ... :rolleyes:

Of course. But none of those originated from a Jew claiming to be the Jewish messiah, did they? And which of those also coincided with the temples destruction, and scattering of Jews away from Israel? Which of these hasn't had a prophet in thousands of years of it needing one (in light of Israel's current condition)..?