• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can a Jew reject Jesus as the Messiah?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
That's why I believe the idea of the Messiah bring a New Covenant is not contrary to the Tanakh.
Covenants are found throughout the Tanakh, thus I have no problem accepting that is a "New Covenant". But what is not acceptable is that older covenants were to be negated just because of it [i.e. "replacement theology"].

metis

People confuse the first and second coming of Jesus with messiah ben joseph and messiah son of david. Messiah son of Joseph suffering and dying is mentioned in the writings of rabbis.
There are numerous messiahs mentioned in the Bible, thus they all had a purpose. OTOH, In really don't get into it that much as far as historical reality is concerned, but what they appear to have taught in terms of basic morality I do consider to be very important.

Skywalker

Covenants are found throughout the Tanakh, thus I have no problem accepting that is a "New Covenant". But what is not acceptable is that older covenants were to be negated just because of it [i.e. "replacement theology"].

Replacement theology being unbiblical doesn't mean that dual covenant theology is biblical either. Dual-covenant theology - Wikipedia

Most Christians hold that the Old Testament has been superseded or abrogated and replaced with the New Covenant, which is the only one of the biblical covenants that remains valid today. Dual-covenant theology is unique in holding that the Old Covenant or the Law of Moses remains valid for Jewswhile the New Covenant only applies to non-Jews or gentiles.

Skywalker

There are numerous messiahs mentioned in the Bible, thus they all had a purpose. OTOH, In really don't get into it that much as far as historical reality is concerned, but what they appear to have taught in terms of basic morality I do consider to be very important.

Why would there be multiple Messiahs? I believe it makes more scriptural sense that the Messiah would have a first and second coming, because God is the only Savior there is.

metis

Why would there be multiple Messiahs? I believe it makes more scriptural sense that the Messiah would have a first and second coming, because God is the only Savior there is.
Because "messiah" means "anointed one", thus there have been many in the scriptures who have been labeled as such, such as David for just one example.

Skywalker

That largely depends on how one interpret things.

As for myself, I am not a literalist, thus I really don't much get into that fray except to have fun once in a while when I have my sadistic tendencies. ;)

What do you think about replacement theology? What is replacement theology / supersessionism? | GotQuestions.org

Contrary to replacement theology, dispensationalism teaches that, after the rapture (1 Thessalonians 4:13–18), God will restore Israel as the primary focus of His plan. The first event at this time is the tribulation (Revelation chapters 6–19). The world will be judged for rejecting Christ, while Israel is prepared through the trials of the great tribulation for the second coming of the Messiah. Then, when Christ does return to the earth at the end of the tribulation, Israel will be ready to receive Him. The remnant of Israel who survive the tribulation will be saved, and the Lord will establish His kingdom on this earth with Jerusalem as its capital. With Christ reigning as King, Israel will be the leading nation, and representatives from all nations will come to Jerusalem to honor and worship the King—Jesus Christ. The church will return with Christ and will reign with Him for a literal thousand years (Revelation 20:1–5).

Both the Old Testament and the New Testament support a premillennial/dispensational understanding of God’s plan for Israel. The strongest support for premillennialism is found in the clear teaching of Revelation 20:1–7, where it says six times that Christ’s kingdom will last 1,000 years. After the tribulation the Lord will return and establish His kingdom with the nation of Israel, Christ will reign over the whole earth, and Israel will be the leader of the nations. The church will reign with Him for a literal thousand years. The church has not replaced Israel in God’s plan. While God may be focusing His attention primarily on the church in this dispensation of grace, God has not forgotten Israel and will one day restore Israel to His intended role as the nation He has chosen (Romans 11).

Skywalker

Yes, that is a teaching that almost all Christians accept, but we're are not the only game in town. I don't believe that Jesus was and is the only "Messiah" that the world has seen or will see.

How can David be the anointed one when Jews believe in Messiah ben Joseph and Messiah ben David?

metis

How can David be the anointed one when Jews believe in Messiah ben Joseph and Messiah ben David?
Because he was chosen by God, thus "anointed".

Why do you think that only Jesus could be a messiah? What about those who lived before him? What about those who lived and still live in areas where he's basically unknown? Doesn't God care about them?

Skywalker

Why do you think that only Jesus could be a messiah? What about those who lived before him? What about those who lived and still live in areas where he's basically unknown? Doesn't God care about them?

Jews awaiting the Messiah means that David was an annointed one but he was not the annointed one.

Skywalker

People don't go to hell because they are sinners they go to hell because they reject Christ. What About Those Who've Never Heard the Gospel?

General revelation
Although many people do not know the full revelation of the gospel, none of us are totally ignorant of him. 'For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities – his eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse' (Romans 1:20).The created universe speaks so clearly of a Creator that it took rebellious humans thousands of years to come up with a half-decent explanation of how things might have arisen without any intelligent designer, in the neo-Darwinian synthesis. The psalmist exclaims that 'the heavens declare the glory of God' (Psalms 19:1) and we really have to be quite blinded by naturalist philosophy before we can take a walk in the country or gaze at the night sky and not see something of God's creative flair reflected there.

Then there is the witness of our consciences. Though defective since the fall, they still function and give us a sense of a moral order, a morality that we generally know to be correct, even though we fail to live up to it. Paul, in his treatment of God's righteous judgment, tells us that 'Gentiles, who do not have the law...show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness' (Romans 2:14–15).

Hence there is no-one that is totally ignorant of God. All of us have some knowledge of him and will be judged according to that. God 'will give to each person according to what he has done', (Romans 2:6)not according to what he had no opportunity to do.