• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How are these Great Beings explained?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Think about it in the other person's shoes. If you were a very devoted Hindu, knew nothing but Hinduism, and proud to be Hindu and anyone, say me, come to any Hindu and say "guess what. You and I have similar beliefs because we both practice religions from India and what's more so, The Buddha's practices come from Hindu practices, that in my opinion only would be highly insulting.

I agree that we need to see it from other's POV and have a sense of their reality. We also need to find ways of talking to each other where we both avoid giving offense and taking offense, especially when none is intended. We need to enjoy the conversation and be happy to be here.

Let's digress into Buddhism if that's OK. Buddha grew up with Hinduism, as Christ grew up with Judaism. Did Buddha incorporate Hinduism into His Teachings and Practice, or did He bring something entirely new?

I'd love to talk biblical scripture but you have to be more specific in your examples. Yes, the bible says love one another both in the OT and the NT. God didn't love people who sinned. If he did, he wouldn't have killed them. Jesus said that his father now loves people who sinned because his father gave ransom for their sins in order to believe in him. Without that ransom, he'd still be angry.

God loved His people and so killing off those who openly strayed from His Law sent a clear message to everyone about what was expected. If He hadn't have done this, then the Hebrew people would have failed to establish His Laws in the Holy Land. Its was harsh, but back then, there was practically no other way. There was no prison or programmes for reform and rehabilitation of criminals. That was the austere reality that even many Christians grapple with, but it is life and the truth. When you are part of a community, everyone is expected to toe the line.

Circumstances had changed by the time Jesus came along. It was the Hebrew people themselves that were the victim of circumstances for repeatedly failing to keep the commandments. Despite clear instruction, the Jews worshipped gods and idols other than Yahweh. Their general levels of morality were so far from what Moses taught that He sent prophets to call them back to their original Teachings. When this failed, He chastised His people, by allowing them to be captured and subject to first the Assyrians, then Babylonians, the Persians, the Greeks and finally the Romans.

During the time of Christ, the Jews were expecting the Messiah and believed He would be like King David who would deliver them from the Romans. Instead they got Jesus, who taught turn the other cheek. He broke the law of the Sabbath as well as changed the laws of divorce and He had the authority from God to do this. He even had the audacity to claim to be God's Son and it was His Father who gave Him authority.

He went to the temple, became angry and caused a major disturbance. He did as much as He possible could to indicate the change that was needed. If He had done anymore, His mission would not have last 3 days let alone 3 years.

The apostles then elaborated further.

'In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.'

Hebrews 8:13

What could be clearer?

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I agree that we need to see it from other's POV and have a sense of their reality. We also need to find ways of talking to each other where we both avoid giving offense and taking offense, especially when none is intended. We need to enjoy the conversation and be happy to be here.

This is just me personally. Abrahamic and some Buddhist religions I don't care for because they have a "I vs. them" mentality constructed in their belief system. The very fact we are "limited beings" , we are "blind" , people were blind and then they could see or on the Nichiren Shoshu in, no one knows the True Buddhism but Shoshu. You can't reach enlightenment except through the priesthood. So on and so forth.

If I only talked with you and Arthra about Bahai and haven't met the other personalities on this thread, I wouldn't have gotten the impression of that mentality, though there is one, because you guys don't express your faith in a black and white view. When I read Bahaullah's letters, he does. Distinctively.

It's very unattractive so well-intended or not, it's a hard conversation for me since I don't care for religions like that. It, how would I say, makes me feel uncomfortable inside.

Even take religion out of it. In LGBTQ, we think of equality for all people. There is no such thing as "gay marriage" there is just marriage. There is no such thing as a traditional marriage. Everyone's marriage is unique to the two people involved. The inequality and bias of religions and politics really really really frustrates me.

I can talk about it if everything is calm. Things like Death Penalty and stuff, regardless, I can't get a word out. The Buddha talks about valuing life. One of those big things about "killing" is that you can kill someone's body, kill with words, kill someone's sense of self, kill someone's esteem.

Let's digress into Buddhism. Buddha grew up with Hinduism, as Christ grew up with Judaism. Did Buddha incorporate Hinduism into His Teachings and Practice, or did He bring something entirely new?

In Tibetan, Chinese, and, um, countries around India still have Hindu rituals. He didn't create anything new. He had a revelation not a creation of a new teaching. There is no origin to Buddhism. The Dhamma has no beginning and it doesn't "change". I mean, there are Shinto practices in Buddhism. Vietnamese Zen has Confucianism and Taoism in it.

The Buddha denied any of the Hindu teaches that lead to enlightenment. Other countries that spread Buddhism out such as above incorporate a lot of Hindu and other folk Indian teachings into his. Like Christ, he didn't "speak for himself." His disciples wrote the suttas.

He didn't create anything new. The Dhamma always existed. He was the first to realize it.

God loved His people and so killing off those who openly strayed from His law sent a clear message to everyone else about what was expected.

If He hadn't have done this, then the Hebrew people would have failed to establish His laws in the Holy Land. Its was harsh, but back then, there was practically no other way. There was no prison or programmes for reform and rehabilitation of criminals. That is a hard reality for even many Christians to come to terms with, but it is life and the truth. When you are part of a community, everyone is expected to toe the line.

I don't understand how anyone can be part of a religion that has death as the cornerstone of its teachings of salvation. Yes, in Buddhism, in analytical meditations we meditate on death to understand suffering but we are thinking more treat the symptoms. Christianity is more learn from the symptoms. "We will always be sinners (have symptoms) so we need to learn from then and the only one we can learn from is jesus who had the worse symptoms but still died for it [instead of, like The Buddha taught, addressing a cure instead of sacrifice)

Circumstances had changed by the time Jesus came along. It was the Hebrew people themselves that were the victim of circumstances for repeatedly failing to keep the commandments. Despite clear instruction, The Jews worshipped gods and idols other than Yahweh. Their general levels of morality were far from what Moses taught that He sent prophets to call them back to the original teachings. When this failed, He chastised His people, by allowing them to be captured and subject to first the Assyrians, then Babylonians, the Persians, the Greeks and finally the Romans.

During the time of Christ, the Jews were expecting the Messiah and believed He would be like King David who would deliver them from the Romans. Instead they got Jesus, who taught turn the other cheek. He broke the law of the Sabbath as well as changed the laws of divorce and He had the authority from God to do this. He was God's Son after all.

He went to the temple, became angry and caused a major disturbance. He did as much as He possible could to indicate the change that was needed. If He had done anymore, His mission would not have last 3 days let alone 3 years.

He did not change his father's laws. He became his fathers laws incarnate. That's the difference between the OT and NT. Whatever jesus did in his lifetime isn't more the point than why he did, the meaning of his life, death, and resurrection. If we're just looking at his life, The Buddha had a lot better and more tolerant view of people he disagreed with.

' In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.'

The old covenant was for the Jews. The new is for the gentiles and jews. There were many covenants throughout the OT. The NT is no difference in that.

Unless you're saying jesus changed god's laws, which to a christian would make their mouth drop to the floor, I think either you're reading this In a Bahai point of view or not getting what jesus meant by "fulfilling the law" that, as you quoted, will one day decay-go obsetete.

What could be clearer?

I had to look it up. I can't read Kings James Version so this and Bahaullah's words are very hard to understand. Here is what I read.

"By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear."

and this

…5They serve at a copy and shadow of the heavenly sanctuary. That is why Moses was warned when he was about to build the tabernacle, “See to it that you make everything according to the pattern shown you on the mountain.” 6Now, however, Jesus has received a far superior ministry, just as the covenant He mediates is superior and is founded on better promises. 7For if that first covenant had been without fault, no place would have been sought for a second

and

Hebrews 7:22
Because of this oath, Jesus has become the guarantee of a better covenant.

Jesus became the covenant of god's law.

Remember, "jesus didn't come to destroy the law but to fulfill it."

Also, every covenant before the last "decayed", if you like. The message or meaning behind it has not. (For example, we still have Rainbows). The physical covenant has.

Same with The Buddha. The physical suttas decay. It's natural laws of nature. Paper decays after a while. The Dhamma does not.

Now the covenant of many no longer needs to be "upgraded" (better word than decay)

"Now may the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep."

I don't see it through Bahai eyes, of course. I'm a straight-up Catholic. But the closest I can get to protestant view on a personal level is that the bible's validity can only be confirmed by god. No one else. Not even a messenger, prophet, or manifestation.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Let's digress into Buddhism if that's OK. Buddha grew up with Hinduism, as Christ grew up with Judaism. Did Buddha incorporate Hinduism into His Teachings and Practice, or did He bring something entirely new?

I'd like to point out one or two things here, if I might. The first being that Hinduism is an umbrella term. It really means nothing besides any movement within the Indian subcontinent- including Buddhism and Jainism.

The Vedic religion the Buddha was raised in was likely quite different than any modern Hindu sect. That religion does not exist today. It died in India due to a materialist philosophy called Lokayata overtaking India- followed by the triumph of Buddhism. Together, these two factors led to the extinction of the Vedic religion as it may have been.

Hindu 'movements', which I will term such to be more accurate- all post-date Buddhism and Jainism. They are reconstructions using the Vedic material. Advaita Vedanta is a good example of this.

Buddhism has some of the same concepts as the extinct 'Vedic religion' and also Lokayata as it happens- like Theravadan atomism. However, some of these comparisons are hard to make.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Right! So would I be correct in assuming that such 'movements' are seen as new human-devised ways of approaching spirituality rather than part of a progressively revealed divine plan?

One could argue Advaita to be divinely revealed, but not in an Abrahamic sense.

Eastern schools of thought tend to believe in non-duality. That there is no real division of things from Ultimate Reality, so 'revelation' is a spurious term. Awakening is really more accurate.

As to rather Buddhism is 'revealed'- there's no easy answer to that from a Buddhist perspective, believe it or not. Mahayana Buddhists might believe Shakyamuni Buddha reflected the transcendent Buddha and is a human incarnation of him. The transcendent Buddha or Buddha of Infinite Light is called Ahmitaba in Chinese and Amida in Japan.

I suppose one could argue from such a perspective that the Buddha's teaching constitutes a kind of 'revealing'. He came into the world to reveal the Dharma.

Not all Buddhists take such a view, however. My personal approach to Buddhism just happens to be more traditional.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Eastern schools of thought tend to believe in non-duality. That there is no real division of things from Ultimate Reality, so 'revelation' is a spurious term. Awakening is really more accurate.

As to rather Buddhism is 'revealed'- there's no easy answer to that from a Buddhist perspective, believe it or not. Mahayana Buddhists might believe Shakyamuni Buddha reflected the transcendent Buddha and is a human incarnation of him. The transcendent Buddha or Buddha of Infinite Light is called Ahmitaba in Chinese and Amida in Japan.

I suppose one could argue from such a perspective that the Buddha's teaching constitutes a kind of 'revealing'. He came into the world to reveal the Dharma.

Not all Buddhists take such a view, however. My personal approach to Buddhism just happens to be more traditional and I belong to a historical Japanese school.

What is your definition of Ultimate Reality? I wasn't raised in a Buddhist environment so most my knowledge and experiences comes from Nichiren Buddhism (Shoshu and SGI. Shu isn't near where I live). Vietnamese Zen where I took my refuges and Soto years ago. We have a smorgasboarg of Buddhist temples and thought around here when you find it.

That, and what Japanese tradition do you follow?

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
What is your definition of Ultimate Reality? I wasn't raised in a Buddhist environment so most my knowledge and experiences comes from Nichiren Buddhism (Shoshu and SGI. Shu isn't near where I live). Vietnamese Zen where I took my refuges and Soto years ago. We have a smorgasboarg of Buddhist temples and thought around here when you find it.

That, and what Japanese tradition do you follow?

Ultimate Reality is more an Advaitist concept, usually meant to be Brahman. However, I think it can also describe the Tao in Chinese thought and Buddha-nature in certain forms of Buddhism. The reality that is beyond concepts, etc.

As for my school: I used to be Soto Zen, but I moved to Tendai, which as it happens- was the school of Nichiren. There is probably a lot of similarity in our practice. Like the chanting of Namo Myoho Renge Kyo.

I'm also not from a Buddhist raising though. I studied a lot.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd like to point out one or two things here, if I might. The first being that Hinduism is an umbrella term. It really means nothing besides any movement within the Indian subcontinent- including Buddhism and Jainism.

The Vedic religion the Buddha was raised in was likely quite different than any modern Hindu sect. That religion does not exist today. It died in India due to a materialist philosophy called Lokayata overtaking India- followed by the triumph of Buddhism. Together, these two factors led to the extinction of the Vedic religion as it may have been.

Hindu 'movements', which I will term such to be more accurate- all post-date Buddhism and Jainism. They are reconstructions using the Vedic material. Advaita Vedanta is a good example of this.

Buddhism has some of the same concepts as the extinct 'Vedic religion' and also Lokayata as it happens- like Theravadan atomism. However, some of these comparisons are hard to make.

Thank you for your contribution. Your points make a lot of sense. I have in-laws who are Buddhist and Japanese. Often when I read from Buddhist Teachings, even though I am clueless about its context, and how it may relate to other teachings of the Buddha, it often seems to provide guidance that appears practical and easy to understand. The same can't be said about Hinduism that often feels a lot more esoteric and inaccessible.

Do you have beliefs in any gods, a soul, or afterlife?

siti

Not all Buddhists take such a view, however. My personal approach to Buddhism just happens to be more traditional.
So would it be reasonable to suggest that these "eastern" perspectives (Buddhism, Advaita - I know I am way over-generalizing but just bear with my ignorance for a moment) might be "revealed" by reality rather than by authority? And might it also be reasonable to suggest that what is "revealed" is more of an approach than an answer?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Ultimate Reality is more an Advaitist concept, usually meant to be Brahman. However, I think it can also describe the Tao in Chinese thought and Buddha-nature in certain forms of Buddhism. The reality that is beyond concepts, etc.

As for my school: I used to be Soto Zen, but I moved to Tendai, which as it happens- was the school of Nichiren. There is probably a lot of similarity in our practice. Like the chanting of Namo Myoho Renge Kyo.

I'm also not from a Buddhist raising though. I studied a lot.

Nice. The Buddha does talk about Brahman a lot. I have a more buddha-nature point of view but in the sense we all have potential to be enlightened rather than Buddha-nature being another word for "awakened soul" of some sort. Unless one can be awakened and not awakened at the same time, we are always told we have the ability to awaken but are not awakened yet.

Actually, I don't know much about the Tendai sect only that was the sect Nichiren's teacher practiced from. I read half the Gosho-which is a good read, if you haven't read it. The Lotus Sutra is easier than the Pali suttas but all good.

What are core Tendai practices apart from Nichiren Buddhism? Do you know?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know - but I'll look it up in DSM-5 - maybe some kind of mild "detachment from reality" psychosis or something like that.

There are exclusion criteria based on DSM diagnoses based on religion. So believing in demonic possession isn't considered delusional because lots of other Christians believe this too. Of course you need to get enough people to believe as you do, to avoid being diagnosed as psychotic. Messianic claims are not too infrequent amongst psychiatric inpatients. They generally don't attract too many followers. :)

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Thank you for your contribution. Your points make a lot of sense. I have in-laws who are Buddhist and Japanese. Often when I read from Buddhist Teachings, even though I am clueless about its context, and how it may relate to other teachings of the Buddha, it often seems to provide guidance that appears practical and easy to understand. The same can't be said about Hinduism that often feels a lot more esoteric and inaccessible.

Do you have beliefs in any gods, a soul, or afterlife?

Traditionally many Buddhists did believe in deities as guardians of the dharma and so forth. I do myself, but theism isn't really the point of Buddhism. It's kind of an aside. I personally believe in deities.

The matter of the soul is tricky in Buddhism because the Buddha wouldn't affirm such a thing. He considered it a hindrance. Kind of a besides the point rabbit trail of speculation. He taught anatta, which means 'not-self'. Different Buddhists might approach anatta differently. I do believe in an Atman, but as a Buddhist I don't say anything about it. Because I understand anatta to mean anything I would say about the Atman would be wrong and only my perception/opinion. Buddhism has paradox as part of it. Things beyond human conception and ability to describe. Nirvana is also like this.

Some Buddhists have believed in an afterlife, but again this is variable. It has been believed by some that deities and Bodhisattvas generate their own fields, which are paradise realms.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
What are core Tentai practices apart from Nichiren Buddhism? Do you know?

I don't know much about Nichiren Buddhism admittedly, but I don't imagine they could be much different. We both hold to the Lotus Sutra, which tells us that dharma approaches, sutras, and vehicles are skillful means. Any apparent differences don't matter because they're only rafts to get us somewhere.

siti

There are exclusion criteria based on DSM diagnoses based on religion. So believing in demonic possession isn't considered delusional because lots of other Christians believe this too. Of course you need to get enough people to believe as you do, to avoid being diagnosed as psychotic.
Yikes! I forgot there was real doctor in the house!

Messianic claims are not too infrequent amongst psychiatric inpatients. They generally don't attract too many followers.
Yeah - but occasionally they do get a few. The Bab had about 100,000 plus by all accounts. More than 25 of them thought they were the "Promised One" of the Bab's prophecies - most of them didn't get too many followers either. But there is a well-researched area around the link between mystical experiences and psychoses of various kinds. Of course even if there is a link, and people who are disposed to psychological disorders are more likely to have a mystical experience, that doesn't necessarily mean that the experiences are false. I agree that you'd have to be pretty determined to do what the Bab did. But I don't think single-minded determination based on mystical experience is necessarily a hallmark of religious veracity - do you? I mean it could equally be an indicator of a profound and persistent delusional state of mind. Could it not?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Yikes! I forgot there was real doctor in the house!

I spent seven years working as a psychiatry registrar. The last 10 years have been in general practice where there is plenty of mental health issues to deal with.

Yeah - but occasionally they do get a few. The Bab had about 100,000 plus by all accounts. More than 25 of them thought they were the "Promised One" of the Bab's prophecies - most of them didn't get too many followers either. But there is a well-researched area around the link between mystical experiences and psychoses of various kinds. Of course even if there is a link, and people who are disposed to psychological disorders are more likely to have a mystical experience, that doesn't necessarily mean that the experiences are false. I agree that you'd have to be pretty determined to do what the Bab did. But I don't think single-minded determination based on mystical experience is necessarily a hallmark of religious veracity - do you? I mean it could equally be an indicator of a profound and persistent delusional state of mind. Could it not?

Ha ha. Look at DSM for long enough and you'll be able to diagnose yourself with something! I have caffeine dependence (too much coffee).

Most diagnoses consider social and occupational functioning, so although many of us will have a considerable number of the symptoms we see in DSM, they are not sufficient to affect our day to day life and therefore we would not meet the threshold for a diagnosis.

From what I can tell, The Bab was not only high functioning, but highly successful in what He set out to do.

By all means, question is credentials as a religious leader but I think you are on shaky grounds dismissing His claims on the grounds of mental illness.:)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't know much about Nichiren Buddhism admittedly, but I don't imagine they could be much different. We both hold to the Lotus Sutra, which tells us that dharma approaches, sutras, and vehicles are skillful means. Any apparent differences don't matter because they're only rafts to get us somewhere.

Nichiren believed that The Lotus Sutra was the key guide (best raft; his words were strong) to see the enlightenment or be the enlightenment in oneself through Daimoku. He did make references to Tendai views like everything living even plants having a Buddha nature. I'm a student at heart. I love to learn.

siti

By all means, question is credentials as a religious leader but I think you are on shaky grounds dismissing His claims on the grounds of mental illness.
But that wasn't my point - my point was that being "high functioning and successful" - which after 10 years as a psychiatric registrar you know very well is irrelevant to diagnosing psychotic disorders - or being determined and single minded in the face of severe persecution and privations (which the Bab - and Baha'u'llah - unquestionably were) are equally irrelevant to determining religious veracity. Neither does having a wide readership or even numerous followers. The book "88 Reasons Why the Rapture Will Be In 1988" sold 4.5 million copies - you might recall that the rapture did not happen in 1988. The author was a "high functioning" and previosuly successful NASA engineer. L. Ron Hubbard's Scientology has about the same number of adherents as the Bab had. I doubt anyone would deny that he was "high functioning and successful" - but he was clearly delusional - don't you think?

None of this is relevant to an assessment of how true or otherwise the teachings are. One could be completely mad and have a perfectly legitimate spiritual experience, one could be entirely sane and of balanced mind and be bamboozled by a delusional episode. That was my point - and as an experienced psychiatric medical professional, you, of all people, should understand how tenuous the human grip on reality really is sometimes and how convincingly real the human imagination can make unrealities appear.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
But that wasn't my point - my point was that being "high functioning and successful" - which after 10 years as a psychiatric registrar you know very well is irrelevant to diagnosing psychotic disorders - or being determined and single minded in the face of severe persecution and privations (which the Bab - and Baha'u'llah - unquestionably were) are equally irrelevant to determining religious veracity. Neither does having a wide readership or even numerous followers. The book "88 Reasons Why the Rapture Will Be In 1988" sold 4.5 million copies - you might recall that the rapture did not happen in 1988. The author was a "high functioning" and previosuly successful NASA engineer. L. Ron Hubbard's Scientology has about the same number of adherents as the Bab had. I doubt anyone would deny that he was "high functioning and successful" - but he was clearly delusional - don't you think?

From a purely academic psychiatric point of view, neither the author of rapture or classic or R Hubbard would qualify as mentally ill based on the criteria you have given, and for good reason. The threshold to make such a diagnosis needs to exclude people with unusual religious or political beliefs.

Russia had very high rates of a variant of schizophrenia called sluggish schizophrenia 'discovered' by the Moscow school of psychiatry. These 'patients' under the communist regime held discordant political views that contradicted the mainstream party line. Not surprisingly, this disorder was accompanied by feelings of anxiety and 'paranoia' that the regime may be out to get them. This became justification for the compulsory detention and treatment of political dissidents against their will.

Sluggish schizophrenia - Wikipedia

None of this is relevant to an assessment of how true or otherwise the teachings are. One could be completely mad and have a perfectly legitimate spiritual experience, one could be entirely sane and of balanced mind and be bamboozled by a delusional episode. That was my point.

Its theoretically true that you could be 'mad' and have a legitimate mystical experience. Psychiatrists are not interested in assessing the authenticity of peoples experience from the POV of authentic mysticism though. They just want to know if their psychosis is causing practical problems for their patients and their support people, and what can be done to assist them.

Being entirely sane/balanced and delusional is an oxymoron.

How does this relate to the Bab again?