• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How are beliefs harmful to others?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Copied from another thread:
It`s to show them that they need to reconsider their beliefs because they are inconsistent and harmful to others.

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
When a belief or "conceptual framework" leads us more often to error or immorality than truth or morality, then I think it is self-evident that such a belief or conceptual framework is harmful.

Humans are creatures of learning and the most important learning occurs within the first six years. After about 7 years or so our brains lose a great deal of plasticity. As such after about 7 or so our primary attitudes, approaches, and pre-dispositions towards actions of certain kinds are largely set. You set someone up with a framework of belief that science cannot possibly be right, and they will never be able to understand it their entire rest of their life.

MTF

linwood

Copied from another thread:

Since it`s my quote you`ve pasted I`ll have a go at explaining.

The Spanish Inquisition.
The KKK, National Alliance, Christian Identity.
The Crusades.
Sharia Law
Soviet Style communism.
Abstinence Education

Those are just a couple of examples of systems of belief that have actively caused harm to people.
On a smaller scale considering the post the paste was taken from.

The Catholic Diocese in my area decided awhile back that Abstinence Only ED was what was to be taught in our public schools and through a series of backroom maneuvers actually instituted it before the sane segment of my community caught on and put it down.
This Catholic belief almost terribly harmed the children in my community.

I have a Muslim co-worker who has no problem beating his wife because he believes Allah tells him it`s ok.

I have another co-worker who believes finding money and not returning it when you can is perfectly ethical and harms no one.

I have numerous acquaintances who believe the black race is intellectually inferior to other races and has no problem with discrimination against blacks.

I could go on but I "believe" the answer to your OP is obvious.

What we believe shapes the very world we live in.
It`s important.

linwood

I agree, but in all those cases, the thing doing the actual harm was the action that flowed from the belief, not the belief itself.

Without the belief there is no motivation for the action.

Just ftr, you don't think such things are inherent to religion, do you?

No I don`t think they are inherent to religion in general.
I`m aware of religions that don`t promote inequitable ideals.

However I do believe these things are inherent in most religions practiced on this planet at the moment.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
To be pedantic, it isn't the belief, but the application of a belief that is harmful to others...

For example, the Spanish Inquisition, if one were to believe that it is ok to burn suspected witches at the stake, but never applied it, it would not harm others...

But as I said, that is just being pedantic ;)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
No I don`t think they are inherent to religion in general.
I`m aware of religions that don`t promote inequitable ideals.
Thought so. :)

However I do believe these things are inherent in most religions practiced on this planet at the moment.
Really? Seems to me, if you go by numbers of religions (as opposed to adherents), most are pretty benign.

linwood

Thought so. :)

Really? Seems to me, if you go by numbers of religions (as opposed to adherents), most are pretty benign.

Numbers of religions are practically infinite.
Each individual person can form his/her own distinctive dogma and many do.

It is only the individual adherents that are capable of acting on their beliefs as has been stated here in other posts.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Numbers of religions are practically infinite.
Each individual person can form his/her own distinctive dogma and many do.

It is only the individual adherents that are capable of acting on their beliefs as has been stated here in other posts.
There's a big difference between personal theology and religion.

linwood

There's a big difference between personal theology and religion.

Storm,

I really don`t want to dissolve into another hair splitting contest.

I`ll simply re-phrase my above statement to read.

However, I do believe these things are inherent in most popular religious thought practiced on this planet at the moment.

gnomon

To be pedantic, it isn't the belief, but the application of a belief that is harmful to others...

For example, the Spanish Inquisition, if one were to believe that it is ok to burn suspected witches at the stake, but never applied it, it would not harm others...

But as I said, that is just being pedantic ;)

If one believe it is okay to cause physical harm to one group but does not act on it what they do when other people do act on it.

They do nothing.

Last I checked their is this notion of social responsibility.

To the OP:

Yes, beliefs can be harmful. Wiggling out by stating it's the actions that are harmful and not the beliefs which cause them is a cop out.