• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How an atheist can believe in 'God'

Could an advanced race be the God and Gods be immortal super races of ET's etc, please elobrate

• Yes

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 14 66.7%

• Total voters

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter
How an atheist can believe in God
(and save face doing it)

For those that don't want to read the long version (in blue bold) MrMrM has mercy on you! I have condensed the OT down to a paragraph. Please if you have a question make sure I haven't covered it in the long version? Is it probable or possible that a race of beings so advanced they created this universe? In several articles scientists have speculated that we humans will learn to exist in an non-corporal body that never dies will become super intelligent via computer to brain interface. So why couldn't a race million of years older than ours already accomplished that feat?

Not only can Theists believe in God I can show a way that agnostics and atheists with open minds can believe in God too. This belief is both rational and logical. My idea is not new but a lot of the evidences and observations are, some are emerging as I write this. I am going to make this as brief and painless as possible. With each passing week NASA finds another batch of planets. It seems planets orbiting most stars is the new normal*. Scientists agree that there is scientific evidence to support the age of the universe is 13 billion years + or - a billion years or two. That is an nearly unimaginable span of time. Its enough time for many 1st generation stars to burn out to a nuclear cinder or maybe super Nova depending on its size. Its enough time for new stars called 2nd generation stars to form from the dust and debris of those first stars that exploded and spread their nuclear synthesized elements through out space. Our sun is such a star, and we, our planet and solar system is made from first generation star dust. According to science life supposedly arose nearly as soon as earth cooled enough to stop glowing**. So even considering the most pessimistic odds there should be millions of planets supporting life***, some should be intelligent life if you evolutionary biologists believe what you preach. If such a planet formed intelligent life a million years before our planet did that race of beings would be far advanced, as much as we humans are more advanced than an insect****. I was reading that soon computers would be able to directly interface with our brains*****. After that happens those who study these things say humans will become a cloud mentality with the ability to communicate telepathically******. The next step of human machine evolution would be our entire population acting as ONE. Lol we are the borg! No worries humans advanced to that level would create anything they wanted, no assimilation needed. It seems obvious to me that super advanced humans could create universes******* given enough time.In fact a fairly new theory is that we live in a TWO DIMENSIONAL universe that mimics a three D universe, its called the holographic universe********. In other words our universe is a program running in an unbelievably advanced computer like system. So these super advanced beings or ONE being would be the same thing as an old testament God. In fact it would solve many cryptic messages found in the bible and major religions. So now atheists can believe in God with out fear of being 'backwards' etc. I have included foot notes to support my claims if anyone is interested in doing more research.

So discuss, is the advanced race idea plausible possible probable? If not why? Even you do not agree with this version of advanced races there are other scenarios based on the same core idea. Anyway thanks for replies, if any.

I did not have time to install the footnotes however I will source any information especially those with the star (asterisk).

: {>

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
God like qualities perhaps. Of course it's a figure of speech.

Not God the supernatural sky daddy from the land of Oz.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If they believe highly advanced aliens exist and are gods then they're no longer atheist.
There are people who believe the universe is a god, or the sun is a god, or a volcano is a god. I believe those things exist, but that they are not a god.

MrMrdevincamus

Da*n that is super blue font! If these beings or being* had all the arbitrates of God, how could it not be God, especially if it wanted to be seen as God. Perhaps that is the most desirable of mantels. I am sure we are loved if this being is even close to something like Jesus, much like we love our pets. The only reason not to call it God is emotional, especially if it intentionally created a religion like Christianity. Pride is a powerful emotion !

*(I think it would morph into one entity)

A Vestigial Mote

So now atheists can believe in God with out fear of being 'backwards' etc.
This almost reads as if you think atheists "desire" to believe in some form of god. Or that atheists only don't believe in God/gods for "fear of being [seen as] 'backwards'." I can definitively state that I do not have this desire, which means I can't be party to the "fear" you describe either.

If I don't find need of gods from spiritual fiction, what makes you think I might therefore need a god of science fiction?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
(and save face doing it)

They can accept a non-theistic idea of God. Atheist just means you don't accept theistic beliefs about God. For example some liberal Christians view God as the Ground of all being.

MrMrdevincamus

This almost reads as if you think atheists "desire" to believe in some form of god. Or that atheists only don't believe in God/gods for "fear of being [seen as] 'backwards'." I can definitively state that I do not have this desire, which means I can't be party to the "fear" you describe either.

If I don't find need of gods from spiritual fiction, what makes you think I might therefore need a god of science fiction?

You read too much into my words! I have been around a while and have spoken to many atheists, and of course for the first sixteen to eighteen years of life I was atheist as well. I never speak in absolutes because nothing material* universe is 100% sure or absolute. *(material = the physical or tangible). So I would never clump atheists or any group together and say one definition fits all. The title was based on the many atheists who told me that they wanted to believe in a higher power or God if only there was evidences etc to show cause. Of course there were atheists that are happy to be so. And there are those that fall in between the definitions, just like there seems to be a million different kinds of theists or even Buddhists and other groups. If a 'hard atheist' does believe that such an thing is possible,ie that ET may be an religious icon etc, it does seem to put a crack in to what an atheists core believes COULD be true.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
They can accept a non-theistic idea of God. Atheist just means you don't accept theistic beliefs about God. For example some liberal Christians view God as the Ground of all being.

A-theos

Means without a god

Not some obscure concept definition of deity.

It means any god belief.

MrMrdevincamus

Not all atheists can believe in any thing supernatural ie a being that is immortal can create a universe at will. Such a being could easily be the God of the new testament or Buddha. There is even speculative support for such a claim.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
(and save face doing it)

For those that don't want to read the long version (in blue bold) MrMrM has mercy on you! I have condensed the OT down to a paragraph. Please if you have a question make sure I haven't covered it in the long version? Is it probable or possible that a race of beings so advanced they created this universe? In several articles scientists have speculated that we humans will learn to exist in an non-corporal body that never dies will become super intelligent via computer to brain interface. So why couldn't a race million of years older than ours already accomplished that feat?

Not only can Theists believe in God I can show a way that agnostics and atheists with open minds can believe in God too. This belief is both rational and logical. My idea is not new but a lot of the evidences and observations are, some are emerging as I write this. I am going to make this as brief and painless as possible. With each passing week NASA finds another batch of planets. It seems planets orbiting most stars is the new normal*. Scientists agree that there is scientific evidence to support the age of the universe is 13 billion years + or - a billion years or two. That is an nearly unimaginable span of time. Its enough time for many 1st generation stars to burn out to a nuclear cinder or maybe super Nova depending on its size. Its enough time for new stars called 2nd generation stars to form from the dust and debris of those first stars that exploded and spread their nuclear synthesized elements through out space. Our sun is such a star, and we, our planet and solar system is made from first generation star dust. According to science life supposedly arose nearly as soon as earth cooled enough to stop glowing**. So even considering the most pessimistic odds there should be millions of planets supporting life***, some should be intelligent life if you evolutionary biologists believe what you preach. If such a planet formed intelligent life a million years before our planet did that race of beings would be far advanced, as much as we humans are more advanced than an insect****. I was reading that soon computers would be able to directly interface with our brains*****. After that happens those who study these things say humans will become a cloud mentality with the ability to communicate telepathically******. The next step of human machine evolution would be our entire population acting as ONE. Lol we are the borg! No worries humans advanced to that level would create anything they wanted, no assimilation needed. It seems obvious to me that super advanced humans could create universes******* given enough time.In fact a fairly new theory is that we live in a TWO DIMENSIONAL universe that mimics a three D universe, its called the holographic universe********. In other words our universe is a program running in an unbelievably advanced computer like system. So these super advanced beings or ONE being would be the same thing as an old testament God. In fact it would solve many cryptic messages found in the bible and major religions. So now atheists can believe in God with out fear of being 'backwards' etc. I have included foot notes to support my claims if anyone is interested in doing more research.

So discuss, is the advanced race idea plausible possible probable? If not why? Even you do not agree with this version of advanced races there are other scenarios based on the same core idea. Anyway thanks for replies, if any.

I did not have time to install the footnotes however I will source any information especially those with the star (asterisk).

It's amazing how popular this has become. atheists open to the idea of ID in some form, as long as they don't have to call it 'God'

The distinction seems very vague, but God is the next logical step when you think it through all the way

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Da*n that is super blue font! If these beings or being* had all the arbitrates of God, how could it not be God, especially if it wanted to be seen as God. Perhaps that is the most desirable of mantels. I am sure we are loved if this being is even close to something like Jesus, much like we love our pets. The only reason not to call it God is emotional, especially if it intentionally created a religion like Christianity. Pride is a powerful emotion !

*(I think it would morph into one entity)

To people who believe the universe is God, it meets all the arbitrators of god. So to them, you should also accept it as God. Of course, you are under no obligation to accept their definition of god, and it's not an emotional reason to do so.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If extraterrestrials were the original source of the God concept, I'd expect the concept to be more homogenous and more concrete rather than reveletory.
Why did these LGM leave no tangible evidence of their visit? Why did they apparently visit each culture and civilization over thousands of years then disappear?

But "the Ground of All Being" Isn't a personage, is it? "God" is generally used to denote an actual living, willful, opinionated being.
Ground of all being sounds like a string theory brane or something.